Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Motorcycle insurance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm gonna have a look at a bike this weekend and was wondering if anyone knows about how the insurance will work? I don't really want to take out a policy on the off chance that I buy a bike and want to ride it home the same day - but if I don't buy a bike, I still have insurance! Do I need a kind of temporary cover policy if they exist?

Is Bennetts the best place to go for insurance?

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    Unfortunately, if you've not covered to drive any vehicle on your existing policy, then you need to take out cover on that particular machine. Most places are leniant on the phone - give them a bell, tell them the details, and tell them you're looking to buy the bike that day. Ask them if you'll be able to phone up and get cover on the spot or not.

Bennetts haven't ever really been too good for me in terms of pricing. But, you've got to do all the legwork yourself and phone them all up. :)
  • Options
    I'm with aquote insurance for mine, but ebikeinsurance is competitive too. And yea, you do have to have the insurance before you ride the bike. Best thing is to find the one you want, tell them you'll pick it up in x days and insure it.

Welcome to the world of bikes, prepare to be bankrupt :D
  • Options
    Best thing is to find the one you want, tell them you'll pick it up in x days and insure it.

Welcome to the world of bikes, prepare to be bankrupt :D

That's crazy talk! I'm not gonna be able to walk away from my bike:crying:

Hahaha, the DAS was expensive enough and now I'm certainly addicted.

Cheers for the tips guys!
  • Options
    Smart option would be to get a mate to ride it home. The majority of motorcycle insurance policies give third party cover on any motorcycle - check it first though. :)

What bike is it?
  • Options
    Presume you have all the necessarily driving provisions? Otherwise even getting temporary insurance can be a pain...
  • Options
    If its from a private seller ask them to drop it off?
  • Options
    What bike is it?

A BMW F650 funduro in white: http://bmw.hlabs.spb.ru/pics/moto/f650/funduro.jpg

ahhhh...I did buy the bike but as the shop is still in the dark ages, I couldn't pay on maestro so he's going to deliver it. No bike for me this weekend :crying:
  • Options
    You just want to be like Ewan ;).

I've got a 1990 VFR, wouldn't swap it for the world. :)
  • Options
    Busted:eek:! I'm sooo close to ordering the Touratech catalogue!
  • Options
    Heh, go for it :). Travel the world, see the sights... I was going to bike over to Switzerland last year, but it didn't materialise :).
  • Options
    I have to pay £600 TPFT on a cg125 :( so I can forget touring around. You lucky buggers.