Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

quick bit of hair cut advice for anyone that may have annoying kinky bits, grr!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok im having a hair cut tomorrow. Im just having a trim (1-2 inches off) as i like the cut ive had

But basically theres only 1 thing that pisses me off, and its how kinky the less thick side goes because of the side parting....

Im not having a centre parting as it looks lame on me, so thats not a solution and besides, then i'd have 2 kinky sides (ha)

So ive uploaded a picture, showing my hair when its dried naturally (nothings been done to it since i got out of the shower, or my face for that matter so please excuse the mess that is me in my pjamas), showing th annoying curly bit. I dont want to have to keep straightening it every time i wash my hair, id rather have fuss free hair that i can "wash&go" and most of the rest of my hair will dry in an acceptible way

What i want to know is, is it better to grow this side a bit longer therefore only getting the ends of that bit off, or would it be better to have it cut a little shorter to match the side fringe the other side?

Advice from other people with kinky hair experience would be appreciated! Do kinks get better with longer or shorter legnth?

Cheeeers

Comments

• Options
    My hair does the same thing. How worrying :(

Im also getting mine cut.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Renzo wrote:
    Im also getting mine cut.

Skins? :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    i have a kinky bit, its right at the front on one side at the top of my parting
    the only way i can get rid of it is to blow dry and straighten
    ask the hairdresser what they think - they could probably come up with a style
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    I'd have thought that the shorter you cut it, the more likely it is to kink without blowdrying, as it tends to be the added weight of longer hair which pulls it down and helps it stay straight. If I don't blow dry my fringe, it curls a hilarious amount.

cheers, just the kind of answer i need :) i will probably ask the hairdresser to leave that bit then as i'd hate to have it shorter and for it to get worse, its well annoying!
  • Options
    yep, the shorter it is the more its going to bounce all over the place
    i found this when i cut a little bit of frizzy hair to my scalp when it started to grow back....
  • Options
    mine does that. I dont think yours looks bad at all, especially with the length of it. Its more noticeable on short hair i think. I just straighten the kinky bit - especially my fringe.
  • Options
    mine does that. I dont think yours looks bad at all, especially with the length of it. Its more noticeable on short hair i think. I just straighten the kinky bit - especially my fringe.

it just looks really out of place, i wouldnt mind it if all of my hair dried with a curl, but the rest of it dries straight! Theres a head full of straight hair then a random curl at the front :lol:
  • Options
    would you not consider styling your hair so its naturally wavy like that bit? You could just towel dry it+leave it, maybe scrunch a serum or something in it. i think you're hairs lovely BTW!
  • Options
    would you not consider styling your hair so its naturally wavy like that bit? You could just towel dry it+leave it, maybe scrunch a serum or something in it.!
    the rest just wont curl/wave unless i spend ages doing it, scrunching it does pretty much nothing as its quite thick. I dont mind curling it for a special occasion but for day to day i'd prefer to wash it and leave it when possible!
    i think you're hairs lovely BTW!

you're joking right? I hadnt even brushed it for that picture, it was all knotty and a right mess:lol: but thanks :)

Anyway people thanks for the advice im off to the hairdresser now :wave:
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    ooh, post a pic when you get back. I'm nosey.

me too :yes:

And for the record I think your random curl looks totally fine.

You want to see my kinky bits these days - I'm getting curlier in my old age. If I let it do it's own thang I have a proper Bonnie Langford, and if I comb it I look like Aslan.

:chin:
  • Options
    I have 2 kinky bits either side of my natural parting which I straighten with GHD's. No other implement can be the suckers. And GOD forbid if it rains :lol:
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    ^^That's the reason why I grew my fringe out, because it was too hard to keep straight when it was hot lol.
  • Options
    I've got hair that would make Richard Simmons jelous, but when I straighten it, I've never had any problem with it becoming unstraightened, even in the humidity and when I sweat and when I sweat boy do I sweat, though not as much as the guy at the gym whos shorts get soaked and he drips all over the equipment.

Thats weird that it would come undone. Maybe GHD's suck :p
  • Options
    i bloody wish i could wash and go! straighteners every day for me. i don't have it poker straight or anything but i need to use my straighteners before i go outside otherwise i'll scare everyone.
  • Options
    straighten just that bit?
  • Options
    i bloody wish i could wash and go! straighteners every day for me. i don't have it poker straight or anything but i need to use my straighteners before i go outside otherwise i'll scare everyone.

same - i dont think SOME peple who can literally wash and go know how how lucky they are (imo). Im not even gonna post a pic of my just after blowdrying on here cos ull all be scared out of your wits. Also i dont know how to :p
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    ooh, post a pic when you get back. I'm nosey.

its not very exciting im afraid, same style just a couple of inches shorter. the hairdresser left my random kinky area so i can grow it a bit. Its been straightened aswell as i went out last night :cool:
  • Options
    youre so beautiful :flirt:
  • Options
    :lol:ha!
  • Options
    you have nice eyebrows. and your hair looks nice kinda wavy. :flirt:
  • Options
    you have nice eyebrows. and your hair looks nice kinda wavy. :flirt:
    :yes: whereas my hair looks shit even if its a tiny bit wavy. id love to just wash and go but its straighteners all the way cos my hair literally looks the shittest anyones possibly could if i dont!
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    haha thanks you lot, never been complimented on my eyebrows before either! yay
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I've got hair that would make Richard Simmons jelous,...though not as much as the guy at the gym whos shorts get soaked and he drips all over the equipment[/size].

Manda your posts get weirder and weirder every time i read one of them! :lol::thumb:
  • Options
    yeah u are pretty! I love your hair esp the colour!