Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

the morning after pill and periods

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
saturday night/sunday morning me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex, but he pulled out before he came. just to be safe, i had the morning after pill on tuesday afternoon. my period was due earlier this week and it still hasn't came yet. my periods have been regular recently, so i've pondered that the morning after pill didn't work and i could be pregnant, or its effecting my periods. can anyone help me? love josie x

Comments

• Options
    when my ex gf took it, it threw her periods out of wack for a bit, hers came a bit late.
  • Options
    Had you kept the packet of listened to the information (which no one ever does) it would have told you that it can easily throw your cycle out. Wait two weeks and if you've still not got it then do a test.
  • Options
    surely the morning after pill is not any use if it 3 days after? also it wouldn't affect this cycle would it?
  • Options
    surely the morning after pill is not any use if it 3 days after? also it wouldn't affect this cycle would it?
    Emergency contraception can be used up to 72 hours after unprotected sex has occured although it is most effective within 24.
  • Options
    Some research suggests that it can even work up to 120 hours after unprotected sex. But of course the sooner the better, because the later you leave it, the less effective it gets. It's something like 95% effective within 24 hours, and gradually less after that. So to answer the original question, there is a possibility that it didn't work but it can affect your cycle so the best thing to do is what Scary Monster said, wait for a couple of weeks and if your period still isn't here, do a pregnancy test.
  • Options
    yeah whats wild child said about the advice, but why didnt you have protection??? Its really not worth it!! sorry but it winds me up when people dont use protection and then cant take the consequences.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

The OP took it just before the 72 hours was up, so she should've still been protected.

The MAP can make your cycle go a bit funny. I wouldn't worry too much about it. However, follow Scary Monster's advice - if it don't come soon, take a test to be sure.
  • Options
    jenni30 wrote:
    yeah whats wild child said about the advice, but why didnt you have protection??? Its really not worth it!! sorry but it winds me up when people dont use protection and then cant take the consequences.

You know what, it would be nice just once for someone to be able to ask a question about the Morning After Pill and not get lectured on why they didn't use protection in the first place. If you read the guidelines, it says personal questions should only be asked for good reasons, and I don't think you being nosey and wound up counts as a good reason.
  • Options
    I took it a few months ago and i didnt have a period for about 2/3 months because of it, its back to normal now though.