Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Lake District

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I really want to go here for a long weekend soon, anyone got any personal recommendations, places to stay, things to do, that sort of thing?

I've been having a look at this site which is quite good, but it's always good to hear personal experiences too.

Thank you :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    ooo it's nice.
  • Options
    Anyway we stayed at Windermere and went to Ambleside and grassmere and if you go to grassmere you have to go to the little gingerbread shop http://www.grasmeregingerbread.co.uk/theshop.htm which sells fantastic gingerbread that you can only buy there. We also took one of the boat cruises on the lake which is well worth it despite being really touristy it's actually good value I think especially if you get a later one with fewer people.

Pros - nice ice cream, good scenery for England, generally pleasant.
    Cons - Can be very busy and touristy
  • Options
    I was hoping you or Laura would reply ;)

I like the sound of the cruise thingy, I read about one that is a restaurant so you get your dinner and a tour at the same time..
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    I was hoping you or Laura would reply ;)

I like the sound of the cruise thingy, I read about one that is a restaurant so you get your dinner and a tour at the same time..

Ok if you don't get seasick :p
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Ok if you don't get seasick :p
    Didnt think of that :sour:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    We stayed [URL="javascript:openwin("http://www.lake-district.com/cgi-bin/redirect.pl?id=594&url=http://www.thornbankwindermere.co.uk","extwin",0)"]here[/URL] and it was really nice. Just a stones throw away from Bowness, which is where you get the trips on the Lake. It also is where the Beatrix Potter Museum is. I loved it there :D We went to Kendal which was a lovely town with The Chocolate House which was a gorgeous, vintage tea shop that just sells chocolate things :yum:

We went to Ambleside, which was lovely and Grasmere was gorgeous. Grasmere is also where William Wordsworth's grave is *useless info*

Uhmmmm ... I can't think of anything else. I really want to go back there. Would probably go towards the end of summer as it was *really* busy in August.
  • Options
    That B&B looks nice Laura but I dont think they'd let me in - "for the discerning guest" :lol:

I had no idea there were so many different areas, I thought it was just one place :blush:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Glittery wrote:
    That B&B looks nice Laura but I dont think they'd let me in - "for the discerning guest" :lol:

I had no idea there were so many different areas, I thought it was just one place :blush:

it was really nice, even though they messed up our payments :yeees:

There are a few lakes with Windermere being the main one - ie the most touristy (I think)

Lots of places and prettyness. :D
  • Options
    bowness on windermere is defiantely where the most stuff is going on and its absolutly amazing, i love it up there. luckily one of my friends has a summer house there so get to go quite a bit!

other cool places are Ulswater and Conniston.

i want to go now :(
  • Options
    The Northern Lakes are much better than further south, Ambleside and Windermere gets incredibly busy during the summer months and its basically not much fun.

I like the area around Keswick and Ullswater, especially the drive over Honister and riding on the steamer at Ullswater. La'al Ratty, the miniature steam railway at Ravenglass (between Workington and Barrow) is worth a visit.

B&Bs are plenty, I like the Old Crown in Hesket Newmarket, but that's mostly for the beer.

I don't like the touristy bits of the Lakes, not in the summer anyway.
  • Options
    i went camping in keswick last summer, it was lovely. :yes:
  • Options
    http://www.rookinhouse.co.uk/

This place is brilliant. You can do quad biking, go-karting, shooting, archery, drive a tank, loads of stuff.

http://www.wildanimalpark.co.uk/

And this is a really good zoo. You can feed the lemurs and everything. And stroke an emu if you so desire.