Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What have I done to my PC?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Started it up earlier with no problems. After about 5 minutes, it decided that it wasn't going to respond. So I restarted the PC and got a message ome up basically asking whether I'd like to start my PC in safe mode. So, I just left and after a bit it started loading to what I thought was winows. Turns out that it was going to restart and ask me if I wanted to start in safe mode yet AGAIN. So, I turned the PC and left it for a bit, hoping that it wouldbe ok. I returned and the same thing hppened again. Anyone know why? And what should I do?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Sounds like the fucker has corrupted something. It happens.

Try starting in safe mode to back up any data you have. If this doesn't even work... erm... fuck! Run windows repair (If it is XP.) - If it isn't XP then just install another Windows on and back up all your data, then Format the disk and go back to square 1.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It won't let me start in safe mode... (or any other mode, for that matter)
  • Options
    Insert your windows XP disc, and make sure the computer boots off that. You may have to go into the bios and change the boot order. When it opens, follow the instructions to get to the 'recovery console' and then when its all loaded type 'chkdsk c:'. This will perform a system scan and see if there's any errors with windows (which sounds likely). If there are, it should fix them automatically. :thumb:

I think :chin:
  • Options
    Thanks Shyboy. In the end, we ended up formatting the PC and lost everything :( apart from what we had on another drive.
  • Options
    It's not because you have formatted the disk that all your data is lost... Try Easy Recovery Software or an other goodone which I have somewhere but you need 2 HD, one to save data... I think I got it somewhere, but can get if for you...