Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

lets be clear (peer2peer)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4640415.stm

it is the 'sharing' part of peer2peer networks the RIAA and British equivalent have problems with isn't it? so if you don't share, or upload files then you don't break the law?

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

it is the 'sharing' part of peer2peer networks the RIAA and British equivalent have problems with isn't it? so if you don't share, or upload files then you don't break the law?

If you don't upload after you download (At least 100%) you're a git :p

But yes, it is the uploading that they nick you for. Because without uploaders, the p2p community wouldn't exist - weho else would people download off?

I am proud of my Upload Ratio!
    Clicky!
  • Options
    You break the law by downloading copyrighted material, simple as. Doesn't matter if you share or not.

http://phoenixlabs.org/
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    You break the law by downloading copyrighted material, simple as. Doesn't matter if you share or not.

http://phoenixlabs.org/

But the police are far more liley to go after people who upload large maounts - there are just FAR TO MANY downloaders to get - uploaders (Those who upload ALOT more than they download) are an easier target - and are the people who keep p2p alive.
  • Options
    yer i'm just reading the British Phonographic Industry's blurb on it. they should get a public face on if they want to drive people off it. get simon cowell or pete waterman to tell it how it is! mite convince a few people to start paying instead.

http://www.bpi.co.uk/pdf/Illegal_Filesharing_Factsheet.pdf

i don't want to pay for MP3s tho i'd pay for .Wavs. In anycase, without financial muscle, record companies are finished. Pressing, distribution and marketing can all be done from home now. I'd say nearly every piece of music ever written has been put through a PC at some point - even hard metal rock or accoustic work. It's that same PC that can make you millions.
  • Options
    TBH - I lust for the day Record Companies fall to home Publishing. Then the artist can get 100% of the profit that they truely deserve instead of hte theiving publisher taking it all.
  • Options

If you don't share, then I ban you from uploading off me. People who don't share on P2P are selfish cunts.
  • Options
    Actually people who don't share are wise cunts. You got more chance of getting fucked over if you do share... I'll unshare thanks.

Live the leeching lifestyle, if filesharing dies from it then so be it!
  • Options
    People like you are shooting yourselves in the foot. Stupid as well as selfish.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    If you don't share, then I ban you from uploading off me. People who don't share on P2P are selfish cunts.

:yes: A friend of mine warned me that some people will do this to you if you don't share files, which is fair enough.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    People like you are shooting yourselves in the foot. Stupid as well as selfish.
    Exactally.

If I had my way, I would arrest people who don't share.
  • Options
    Whos cares, what I download from P2P or BT these days are freebie DJ mixes.
  • Options
    Well you're gonna lose out on that aren't you ya daft sod.
  • Options
    Not at all, there will always be more people who seed than leech.
  • Options
    Most people ban leechers. You're being really really dumb.
  • Options
    Just as well that I have a dynamic IP.
  • Options
    Do you have a dynamic username too?
  • Options
    Yes I do, do you?
  • Options
    Whatever mate. :rolleyes:

prick
  • Options
    If everyone had that attiude, there would be no torrent at all. It is just selfish.

Thats as low as you get really. You are steeling... and are not willing to even let other people take that same thing as you.

All it takes if a little while leaving the torrent open... until the upload/download ratio says 100%... and you've given back what you've taken. You would be amazed.

Leave a torrent open overnight and it will probably be well past 100% by the time you wake up.

And anyway. At least I know one thing: You will never be on Demonoid.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Whatever mate. :rolleyes:

prick

Actually Blagy, the services I use do not require a username :).
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    If everyone had that attiude, there would be no torrent at all. It is just selfish.

Thats as low as you get really. You are steeling... and are not willing to even let other people take that same thing as you.

All it takes if a little while leaving the torrent open... until the upload/download ratio says 100%... and you've given back what you've taken. You would be amazed.

Leave a torrent open overnight and it will probably be well past 100% by the time you wake up.

And anyway. At least I know one thing: You will never be on Demonoid.

I'm stealing? Thats rich coming from someone who steals intellectual property. There are plenty of people who seed, and tbh I wouldn't use Geekazoid because the music I download is free, I don't pirate, plus I cannot be arsed to leave it running and use up more of my bandwidth.
  • Options
    Damm the RIAA comming between us!
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    I'm stealing? Thats rich coming from someone who steals intellectual property. There are plenty of people who seed, and tbh I wouldn't use Geekazoid because the music I download is free, I don't pirate, plus I cannot be arsed to leave it running and use up more of my bandwidth.

Makoto wrote:
    Why pay for something when you can get it for free?

Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Theft is unjustifiable. End of. But in some cases it is quite understandable, such as me not paying through the nose for an overpriced OS..

Pot... kettle... pot... kettle...
  • Options
    tbh to stop being caught use a little program called jap, i got it and I swear by it now, tis also free
    http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html
    I will always seed and give people as much or just as much, ok so my ratio is only 0.95 on demonoid atm but I haven't been downloading much and use Bitlord which seems to be funny with ratios etc. the only thing I do do is stick my ratio between 15 - 20 kbs but will leave it on for ages. I believe that is fair.
  • Options
    The whole point is that P2P networks rely on people sharing. If everyone was a selfish cunt like Makoto, then no one would be able to d/l files.
    I just think its (a) incredibly selfish and (b) incredibly stupid, not to mention (c) incredibly cowardly to d/l and not share.
  • Options
    I upload but I have no idea by how much, it just does. :/ Sometimes I'll close it straight away or sometimes I'll leave it up for hours.
  • Options

Pot... kettle... pot... kettle...

And why pay for something when you can get it for free? I have all the type of music I want available free of charge, why go into a shop and buy (if they actually sell that type of stuff) more or less the same mix by a top DJ when I can get it free from an up and coming DJ?

I don't give a fuck about sharing, I really do not give a toss if the file sharing community dies, all the stuff I listen to is available on DJs websites, their made into torrents for people with slower connections etc.
  • Options
    What a lovely intelligent person you are. Bet your mum's well proud of you. :)