Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My diet type thing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im not on a drastic diet or anything, but ive recently got really unhealthy in my final year, eating alot of easy meals like pizza, and getting not much exercise.

So my new diet is: cereal for breakfast and lunch, and also 2 pieces of fruit for lunch, as well as a glass of pure fruit juice for both breakfast and lunch. Then im having a cooked meal for dinner, where im as healthy as possible and adding side salads. In the evening if i get pekish i have a home made smoothie (made completely of fruit) and a yogourt.

Im finding the diet fine to stick to, and it all really fills me up and i never normally eat sandwiches and stuff for lunch anyway, i have a cereal fetish

And for exercise im walking the dog for half hour daily, which involves walking in a hilly wood.

And im doing 10 minutes of aerobic exercise per day too, which i may build up slowly over the weeks

What i'd like to know, is am i likely to tone up fairly quickly with this diet and exercise combination? Im impatient and want to be seeing results fairly soon

Im happy with my weight as its right for my height but i want to tone up wobbly bits (hips especially) and become more healthy, and feel better for it

Comments

• Options
    What's the cereal? And what fruits? You might be eating a fair bit more sugar (and therefore cals) than you think. Try a fitday.com account...
  • Options
    Your general health will improve by cutting out lots of bad fats and too much carbs, but be careful with eating as much fruit/juice as you plan to - there's a lot of natural sugars in fruit so don't overload yourself. If you're having a cooked meal in the evenings, try sticking to white meat and fish with lots and lots of vegetables, cutting down on potatoes and other starchy food like bread. Cutting down on red meat will also improve your health/ help you to lose weight/tone up.

For general toning up, walking is a great activity and will burn calories as well as toning your muscles. Always make sure whenever you walk the dog, you're getting out of breath - that way you know you're working hard enough.
    Also try 20 minutes of aerobic exercise instead of 10.

Don't be too impatient though, it takes time and effort to tone up/lose weight so don't expect results immediately. Carry on how I've described and you'll notice a difference.

ETA; try swapping all drinks/refreshments for bottled water - that way you can make sure you have water on you at all times.
  • Options
    the cereal is special k red berries :yum::yum:

the fruit i eat for lunch is an apple and a banana

for the smoothies i use canned strawberries or raspberries, and banana

I doubt im eating more sugar than before, before i would eat a horrendous amount of chocolate and coffee's with sugar and biscuits dipped in. Ive given up the coffee now as i dont need it to stay awake. I eat no cake or biscuits any more.

eta: oops i do have a few pints at the weekend as well as crisps at the pub. :(
  • Options
    The canned strawberries or raspberries are where I would be worried. I eat more fruit than you and I'm not pie though so I wouldn't worry about the others. Today I've had two plums, a green apple, two small nectarines, some grapes, and after diner I'll have some more grapes, plums, red apple, a pink grapefuit (half), ooh and my peaches might be ripe too... hmmm I picked up a leaflet on 'five fruit an veg' a couple of months ago and came to the conclusion that I def wasn't getting that amount... Now I def am...

I think you're still classed as a student until August, so get down to your local pool with a mini photo and your student ID to get your swimming discount card...
  • Options
    your diet sounds very healthy to me!

if you want to tone up then you could do some little exercises and some stretching, maybe include some weights. for example, lying on your side and moving one leg up and down.
  • Options
    too poor to afford swimming, katrilla :(

I buy canned fruit that is in its own natural juices, so i dont see how its anything to worry about? I'll go read the nutritional value later! Still healthy though, surely? Fresh strawberries and raspberries in the amount that i eat them, would cost a complete bomb!
  • Options
    A healthy diet is not just fruits and vegetables (although these do of course help a great deal) but fish and meats as well. oily fish is good for complexions and a good source of omega 3(promotes healthy bones) as well as protien.
    To be honest i can't see 10 minutes of aerobics and a half hour walk really making much difference. it will do you good and is a lot better than having no excersise, but an hour at the gym a couple times a week will show muscle toning a lot quicker.
    I've always walked everywhere ever since i was little so walking for 1-2 hours a day is not uncommon for me really, i never noticed any difference in my appearance until i started going to the gym though. I've been going for just over 2 months now and already ive got a much stronger arm/shoulder/chest/stomach definition and i feel a whole lot healthier too. just remember to eat plenty of protien after excersising to give the muscles a chance to recover and grow stronger, its pointless otherwise.
  • Options
    have you considered running with your dog for a bit instead of walking? or a more brisk walk?

bike ride? not with the dog...
  • Options
    That's fine if you simply want to go on a healthy diet that will possibly let you lose a couple pounds or so if you stick to it, but I can assure you that you won't see any drastic change. Especially since you're cutting out the food group that you need the most to tone up - meat. If what you want is to burn off some fat, then I'd suggest upping your aerobic exercise to at least 30 minutes a day - something similar to pilates - and jogging or biking daily, anything with cardio is good. Then to tone up I'd say about 3 sets of 50 crunches per day - as for women, full sit-ups are back for your lower back - some leg lifts, squats, small weights depending on whatever part of your body you want to target.

For your diet, drink lots of water, and avoid anything with lots of sugar in it. Think similar to the Atkin's diet, but healthier. The problem they made with the Atkin's diet is that they tried to make out all kinds of meat to be good for your body, and however much you wanted. Try eating leans meats, such as you would buy at a deli, that's low in fat and has plenty of protein, that's ideal if you're wanting to tone and build up muscle. Add vegetables to your diet, greens are better than vegetables that are higher in sugar like corn. Try eating smaller meals but more throughout the day, and nothing but water after around 8 PM.
  • Options
    That's fine if you simply want to go on a healthy diet that will possibly let you lose a couple pounds or so if you stick to it, but I can assure you that you won't see any drastic change. Especially since you're cutting out the food group that you need the most to tone up - meat.

Well, I disagree so :p
  • Options
    That's fine if you simply want to go on a healthy diet that will possibly let you lose a couple pounds or so if you stick to it, but I can assure you that you won't see any drastic change. Especially since you're cutting out the food group that you need the most to tone up - meat. If what you want is to burn off some fat, then I'd suggest upping your aerobic exercise to at least 30 minutes a day - something similar to pilates - and jogging or biking daily, anything with cardio is good. Then to tone up I'd say about 3 sets of 50 crunches per day - as for women, full sit-ups are back for your lower back - some leg lifts, squats, small weights depending on whatever part of your body you want to target.

For your diet, drink lots of water, and avoid anything with lots of sugar in it. Think similar to the Atkin's diet, but healthier. The problem they made with the Atkin's diet is that they tried to make out all kinds of meat to be good for your body, and however much you wanted. Try eating leans meats, such as you would buy at a deli, that's low in fat and has plenty of protein, that's ideal if you're wanting to tone and build up muscle. Add vegetables to your diet, greens are better than vegetables that are higher in sugar like corn. Try eating smaller meals but more throughout the day, and nothing but water after around 8 PM.

huh? I havent said im cutting out any food groups. Im not cutting out meat at all, i have meat with every evening meal, along with plenty of fresh vegetables
    besides, ive not said i want a drastic change, im alreay slightly underweight for my height. All i want to do is tone up a little and feel healthier
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    too poor to afford swimming, katrilla :(

Where i live if you have a leisure saver card (which i think students can get) it's only 85p per swim!
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Where i live if you have a leisure saver card (which i think students can get) it's only 85p per swim!

probably hard to believe, but im that skint that i cant afford that even! its about £2.50 around here for a student.
  • Options
    That's not fair!!!! It's £2.50 here with a card... boo. We do have a beautiful pool though, with anti-wave sides etc.
  • Options
    there are other (free) alternatives to swimming though.

e.g. brisk walking, jogging, running, cycling, skipping.

sometimes while i'm on my bed watching telly i'll lay on my back and lift my legs up and do a cycling motion. seems to work the tummy muscles.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    probably hard to believe, but im that skint that i cant afford that even! its about £2.50 around here for a student.

You could always get a exercise bike free off freecycle like i did :D
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    You could always get a exercise bike free off freecycle like i did :D

got an exercise bike :) and a real bike :)

How did you manage to get a free one?
  • Options
    Blah wrote:

How did you manage to get a free one?

Off of my local freecycle website .We did have one but the flywheel was worn and can't afford another atm so got a free one :D