Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

my mum

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I dont know if its my place to say, but i want my mum to stop wearing so much make up, or at least learn something about what works and what doesnt.

She's had it exactly the same since she was about my age, shes in a time warp.

I feel guilty for it, but it does embaress me, im not sure if it should or not. I prefer to not go out in public with her if im going to see people i know. She wears thick foundation, bright red lipstick, black or blue lined eyes with no eyeshadow, thick thick thick mascara like spiders legs, and eyebrows drawn on in a straight line. She looks like a felt tipped-clown. I feel so bad for saying that :(

I'd like to show her that she can wear less and look nice, or tone it down, i'd like to prove to her that she can look better, i think it would give her a confidence boost as well as stop looking so silly with the whole look she's got going on..

So what id like to know is should i say anything? Its a sensitive subject because it will involve telling her that people are probably taking the piss (which i think they are...) but i do really want to make her look nice, and i want her to feel better about herself without having to slap it on like wallpaper paste.

Thing is its tricky, *she* thinks she looks good like it, i dont know how i would make her see otherwise? Offer to give her a face makeover and take before and after photos? shes worn it like this for so long i dont think she feels a need to change. She has a youngish face for her age though and i think she could look really nice if she just had a bit of education about it!

Help!

Comments

• Options
    you answered your own question in the question lol. offer a free make-over and take pictures b4 and after and say the after ones luk miles better and point out to her why and chuck her old make-up so she cant use it
  • Options
    lisalashe wrote:
    you answered your own question in the question lol. offer a free make-over and take pictures b4 and after and say the after ones luk miles better and point out to her why and chuck her old make-up so she cant use it

but at the end of the day, i want her to look better because she wants to, not because i want her to.

I dont want to become trinny or suzanna, and start throwing away things that dont belong to me.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Know how you feel. My mum's the same. Heavy foundation, dark eyeshadow and eyeliner bought the worst thing is the bright red lipstick. It really gets to me sometimes because i know how great mum could look in the more natural shades. It's probably a self-confidence thing to be honest blah as my mum hates herself without make-up. Says her complexion is dull and scarred and i think she uses her make-up to hide behind (if this makes sense). Sort of like battle armour. I've tried really hard to get her to wear different lipsticks but have given up as she tends to get really ratty after a while. I can't blame her really as i would too :) Silly really as she's always on at me about wearing more make-up as she thinks i don't wear enough.

Maybe you could treat your mum to a makeover at one of the make-up counters in somewhere like House of Fraser/Debenhams, or maybe the body shop? If it looks good then she'll realise or if she doesn't and hates it then i'd give up and leave her be :yes:
  • Options
    thanks for that :)

yeh my mum wont leave the house without a face full of slap. Its really quite sad. I think she looks "*so* much better with nothing on her face!!

Its my graduation ceremony in september and im just feeling so embaressed about it, and i feel so bad for feeling embaressed of my own mum!

I might offer to give her a makeover. And do the photo thing. Cant afford to buy her any vouchers or anything though, im mega poor.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    sophia wrote:

Maybe you could but her a voucher for a makeover at a department store? Although thinking about it, those department store make up girls tend to cake it on a bit too...

True - they do! I took my mum for a makeover at Bodyshop and they did a fab job as it was subtle, but also very pretty.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    True - they do! I took my mum for a makeover at Bodyshop and they did a fab job as it was subtle, but also very pretty.

my mum would never go for anything, because they would have to take her make up off and she has such low self confidence that she wouldnt sit there with none on till they finished her, then she'd want to put her old stuff on again to go home....

so thats out of the question but thanks anyway, because in theory its a good idea!
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sorry i haven't read the whole thread but i always advise my mum on what to wear and how to do her makeup. it depends on the person but i'm sure she would value your opinion.

you could always make soemthing up like "i was watching this programme and it was saying that as you get older, less is more. and it showed a woman being made over using subtle makeup and she looked really nice" and then could suggest going shopping for makeup or going to a makeup counter and getting a makeover as a treat. for all you know she might be tired with the same old look but just doesn't know how to change it.
  • Options
    i was going to suggest a makeover at virgin vie....i think you can have a quick free one if you ask
    if shes embarrassed then why not take her away for a day of pampering and throw in a makeover there, so its more private?
  • Options
    contact one of those magazines and tell them you want a mother and daughter makeover, then tell her and act like its great fun and a treat etc, and because its both of you, itll be different than if you just told her "you need a makeover"

my friend did this with her mum recently!
  • Options
    contact one of those magazines and tell them you want a mother and daughter makeover, then tell her and act like its great fun and a treat etc, and because its both of you, itll be different than if you just told her "you need a makeover"

my friend did this with her mum recently!

Sorry to everyone with these good ideas about makeovers and stuff, but my mum would never go for one. She absolutely hates being in the spotlight.
  • Options
    so my next suggestion of getting Trinny and Susannah round, probably wouldnt go down that well either then?
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    Sorry to everyone with these good ideas about makeovers and stuff, but my mum would never go for one. She absolutely hates being in the spotlight.
    give her one yourself?
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Another option would be to take her to have her colours done... I know several people who have been to Colour Me Beautiful and thought it was fabulous. Their £95-ish gift package is what my friends went for, and thought it was an amazing confidence booster. They also do a makeup lesson from £30 an hour or a makeup 'prescription' for £15 an hour. But the whole packeage is a bit more subtle :)
  • Options
    Last time my mom came to visit we just pampered eachother. We did eachothers nails and toenails, soaked our feet, and did eachothers make up. Kind of like a diy spa type thing, but in a girly sleepover kind of way. And in the process you can do make up on her in ways you think would look good and vice versa. That way, she doesn't think your trying to change her look, but she also gets to see what else would look good, or what you think looks good, being subtle about it. And if she does your make up the way she does her own, then she can also get a glimpse of what she's making herself look like.
  • Options
    How about do your own make up in the same way as her and see if she notices. you dont have to go out with it that way or anything but if it looks as bad as you say then surely she would pick up on it and make a comment?
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    How about do your own make up in the same way as her and see if she notices. you dont have to go out with it that way or anything but if it looks as bad as you say then surely she would pick up on it and make a comment?
    Brilliant idea! Thats genious. Im going to do that when shes out one day. Shes in for a shock!

Once again everyone, i cant actually afford to pay to take my mum on a makeover as im *completely* skint.

I just wanted to know really if its acceptible for me to be criticizing her face. And if yes then how to go about it.

The only way shes getting a makeover is if i do it myself.
  • Options
    so my next suggestion of getting Trinny and Susannah round, probably wouldnt go down that well either then?

:lol: she'd probably murder me.
  • Options
    I gave my mum an image makeover a couple of years ago, because I was too embarrased to go out with her - nothing like what you're describing, but she just looked like a sack of spuds so I had to do something.
    We watched loadsa 'what not to wear' and she asked for my help... so I did. She now looks the best she's looked in years.

Me and my mum have always been frank with each other - tactful, but straight to the point. If she's looking rough I'll tell her and visa versa. I suppose it's not that easy to point out something if you haven't got that sort of relationship. :chin:

I suggest Clinique - they do FREE makeovers, and they did my mum's a couple of years ago and she looked fab. Why don't you say you're having a makeover and persuade her to do it with you.. like a mother/daughter pamper day?
  • Options
    tough one, id say either have a girlie sleepover thing where you both pamper each other - and subtley include a makeover, or wer it yourself and see if she notices - though then she may think your taking the piss OR may think that she looks so good u want to look like her :chin: depends on what her personality is like really
  • Options
    they're after new people for the next series of 10 years younger!

just steal all her make up and replace it with other stuff and tie her hands behind her back so you're forced to do it.
  • Options
    It sounds kinda worrying that she has that low of an opinion of herself that she can't take her makeup off. If I were you I'd talk to her about your concerns about the underlying problems. That way you don't have to say anything negative about her makeup. It sounds like she just needs a confidence boost. Then maybe she'd be more open to ideas.
  • Options
    I haven't read the second page, so apologise if this has been suggested already. What if instead of getting your mum to have a face make-over but turn it slightly so you do it together... both get it done. That way she won't totally think you have something against her make-up.

Make a day of it and go somewhere nice and both get a lil pampered. I know you said you don't have much money, but save up for a bit and do it as a birthday present or something nice like that. Make it about both of you...you may both learn some new make-up tips.