Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Too Much Water Put On Weight?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was speakin to my friend today and he said that if you drink too much water e.g 6Litres, it all gets stored in your fat because your body doesnt know what to do with it, and then you put on weight.

I personally don't agree with him, because theres not such thing as putting on weight drinking water!

Your opinions..

Comments

• Options
    A dehydrated body weighs less than a body which is adequately hydrated. As far as I know, if your body has too much liquid floating around inside, it'll just come out as urine.

6 Litres isn't too much water. The human body needs - at minimum - around 3 litres per day. During hotter weather, or when excercising, this can easily double or triple. As a rule I drink 2-5 litres most days, as well as milk and fruit juice(couple of litres of either). When I'm out doing my 20-mile bike hikes, I'll probably take in 10 litres or so - even more if I went when the weather is like it is at the moment.

Some of this might interest you.
  • Options
    you can get water retention, and get bloated from the sheer volume of drinking it, but water doesnt turn to fat, thats scientifically impossible.
  • Options
    when they say drink 2L of WATER a day, do they actually mean drink WATER, or do they mean drink orange juice or squash etc which is equal to 2Litres ?
  • Options
    Ideally you should be drinking water, but if you drink a good-quality cordial with a high fruit content and not some cheap shit that's full of additives and sugar then that's ok too. If I can't face normal water then I sometimes squeeze some lime into it or use a little cordial. Pure orange juice is good for you in small amounts but you shouldn't be drinking 2 litres of it daily, that's too much. If you like it that much then mix it half and half with water and at least you'll be upping your daily fluids without taking in all that pure [often concentrated] orange juice.

As for it making you put on weight; well in the most literal sense I suppose it does. If you drink a vat of water and then stand on the scales then you'll weigh more, but that will pass through your system and it certainly doesn't get stored as fat. There is of course the possibility of water retention as blah mentioned, but again that's not "putting on weight" in the sense of getting fatter. Just bloating and... yeah, retention.
  • Options
    By 2 l a day they mean water or something very close to it. Normal strength squash would count towards it, as would the first cup of tea/coffee but the subsequant ones wouldn't. Likewise, the first glass of fruit juice counts but the rest don't.

Another way to put it would be 1.5l water (with a little squash if wanted) and 0.5l other fluid.
  • Options
    drinking high amounts of water actually stops water retention. sodium causes cells to retain water, so if you increase your sodium (salt) intake, this causes you to retain water. the more water you consume, the more sodium gets 'flushed out' so the less water you retain.
    this is why they tell women not to eat salt the days before they have their period as it causes more water retention.
  • Options
    There is an issue with drinking varst amounts of water though, especially in this weather, you do need to have salts (Na and K amoung others) in your body so if you are drinking loads then have a bit of salt with dinner (not much) and eat a banana for the potassium.
  • Options
    what will the bananna do?