Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

GRR i Can't Get A Job...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I Don't Know What I Am Doing Wrong But I can't get a job localy i have tried every where i can is it my handwriting? its not the geratest but I try to make it neat is it what i wear i dress nice wtf do i do? plz help!! oh yea and im 16 and can get a ride anywhere

Comments

• Options
    First of alll, get into the habit of talking properly on a message board.

It might seem like a silly thing to say, but if you get into bad habits with your typing, they might become habit and flow into your handwriting, or your speech, and that might affect things.

End of the day, i have known of people (including myself) who have applied for many many many many many jobs, and a lot of the time, never heard anything back at all, or if we have, its usually the dreaded piss off we dont want you working for us. (obviously not like that)

Practice interviews with your friends or someone you trust, ideally someone you know who might be in the same situation as yourself, then it would be helpful and beneficial for you both.

Even for the smallest of part time jobs, try to do some research either into the company you are going to try and get a job in, or at least the area in which they function, that way if they start talking about things you dont understand in the interview, you can try and relate to the things you do know about the company, shows you have initiative, and might even impress them, but dont just keep on dropping things in, or they will get unimpressed.

As for applying for jobs, i was lucky, i applied to what i can remember as literallly hundreds of jobs. Nothing came of them, then iwas walking past a nightclub one day when the manager asked jokingly if i wanted a job. I started the very next day, that was well over a year ago, and now im moving on in october to be a general assistant in a students union. Now i will say lucky breaks do exist, and you will get a few in your employment life, but you cant count on them, so just work hard and keep on persevering.

Even think of applying for jobs that you might think you are slightly under experienced for, because sometimes employers put the bar a little bit higher than they really want, to try and weed out the lowest of the low, that might have applied for the job in vain hopes.

Even if theres a job that you are slightly over qualified or experienced for, if the pay and environment is goood, why not go for it. If you are getting paid well, and enjoy work, its always good to have all your hard work put in at the bottom, cause then if it gets noticed, the only way is up.

I know this seems like rambling, i admit it is, but its just the thoughts i had on the matter at this hour, hope some of them help.

Most of all remain calm
  • Options
    ok i will consider that advice but i only want a part-time local job at pizza-hut, sonic, grocery store etc. I live in a small kansas-usa-town so i must be doing somthing wrong somewhere i just want enogh money to get a few things and to have somthing to do, but i have called several applications in, is that wrong to do? i have handed the applications to cashiers is that wrong to do? my last job was when i was in 6th grade i was about 12 at the time and it was for a farmer who would hire anyody, i wouldnt have quit if i hadnt had to move but i must be doing somthing wrong somewhere to not get hired in the past year i have been trying, do i just wait for the place to call?

• Options
    i hope you use a spell checker before you send your cv off.
  • Options
    ok i will consider that advice but i only want a part-time local job at pizza-hut, sonic, grocery store etc. I live in a small kansas-usa-town so i must be doing somthing wrong somewhere i just want enogh money to get a few things and to have somthing to do, but i have called several applications in, is that wrong to do? i have handed the applications to cashiers is that wrong to do? my last job was when i was in 6th grade i was about 12 at the time and it was for a farmer who would hire anyody, i wouldnt have quit if i hadnt had to move but i must be doing somthing wrong somewhere to not get hired in the past year i have been trying, do i just wait for the place to call?

Best thing to do is hand a CV into where you want to work, that usually works best, and as lucifer the devil says, do a spell check

never do a hand written CV, always type it
  • Options
    ok thx i will consider that next time But am i i making it a mistake not handing it to a manger? or not calling it in? do i let them call me?
  • Options
    ok thx i will consider that next time But am i i making it a mistake not handing it to a manger? or not calling it in? do i let them call me?

Heres what I was always told. I always hated looking for jobs and would ask anybody to help me.
    It is fine to turn in the application to the cashier/worker, you don't necissarly need to give it to the manager. I know from taking applications here, the person who does the hiring won't take them. He's too busy and if I call saying somebody has one, he'll just tell me to take it and tell them they are busy.

I was also always told to call them back. Do not wait for them to call you. Often times they won't. Get the name of the manager or person who does the hiring and their number there at work. Wait about 3-4 days after you turned it in and call them. Ask if they have recieved the application, if they are still in the hiring process, if there is any extra information they need and most importantly let them know you are still interested in the job. If they tell you they are still going thru the applications, call them back a few days later. Don't let them forget about you.

Also, do you have any friends with jobs that you would like? Do any of your buddies work in the Pizza hut or the grocery stores? If so, in jobs like that, referrals and knowing somebody can be a huge plus. I've come to realize, if you have a friend or relative workingn some place and you put their name on the application for a reference or referral, you've got a good chance.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    type you cv????

look on internet for tips on hoe to write a good one too - this is their first impression of you, you want it to be good

maybe theyre not looking for employee's atm
  • Options
    If I had needed a job when I was 16 and didn't know how to go about it, I'd ask my parents. :confused:
  • Options
    If I had needed a job when I was 16 and didn't know how to go about it, I'd ask my parents. :confused:

I'd do that as well.
  • Options
    i have and that obviously hasnt worked they dont have the time much now to explain all of this to me, because they arent home much. i have learned a few new things in this whole forum process
  • Options
    What sort of clothes do you wear when handing in your cv or going for interviews? We get loads of wannabe gangstas with their flat peaked caps and air maxs bringing in cv's and they just get laughed at and their cvs thrown in the bin because no-one wants to hire a little nob-sack who thinks its cool to dress like a bell-end and smoke weed all day. Same goes for when the chavs come wandering in half pissed with a load of their mates and wonder why they never get asked to come back. just common sense really. you want a job? looks presentable, speak in a sensible manner using proper grammer and pronounciation and appear keen to work.
  • Options
    no i dont dress like a wigger gangsta who listens to coon toons.... no im not like that i usualy dress in a t shirt that fits appropriatly, jeans that are clean-some have holes in them but i dont wear them when aplying and u usually wear my work boots-im the outdoor sportsman type so i usualy wear jeans and a t-shirt and boots

is that bad? ive seen some of those wanna be coons that it looks like all of their cloths are 5 sizes too big that get jobs that arent half bad
  • Options
    Careful, that kind of language won't make you many friends round here and racism won't be tolerated.
    On the job issue though the only advice to offer is just keep trying, how far are you actually getting when applying for jobs, do you get called back? interviewed? or do you just not hear anything from them at all?
  • Options
    i'm curious as to why you can't just use your common sense here a little bit.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Careful, that kind of language won't make you many friends round here and racism won't be tolerated.

Indeed.

The only advice anyone can really give you is to persist. You'll find something if you're completely unfussy, hand out CVs everywhere, keep an eye out for advertisements and get word out that you're after a job. Tell everyone you know that you're looking, and maybe you'll get something through a friend or family member or a friend of a family member's friend. As was said earlier, getting a job through a contact at that place of employment is a great and easy way to do things.

Good luck with the jobhunt, I'm sure you'll find something eventually.
  • Options
    i'm curious as to why you can't just use your common sense here a little bit.

well as u can see it hasnt worked
  • Options
    It wouldn't hurt to dress up a bit to make an impression. Jeans and work boots might be handy for slumming around but probably won't give off an "employ me" vibe.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    It wouldn't hurt to dress up a bit to make an impression. Jeans and work boots might be handy for slumming around but probably won't give off an "employ me" vibe.

:yes: and that's even if you did have to wear clothes like that for work...