Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

vaseline vs ky jelly

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
this is abit of a wierd question but never mind.

is it possible to use just normal hand moisturiser or vaseline instead of proper ky jelly or will it cause problems, i know it increases the risk of the condom spliting but does it cause any health worries?

Comments

• Options
    I won't be sticking hand cream up my fanny any time soon, and I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to.
    KY doesn't cause irritation as it's PH Balanced and is water soluble. Hand creams will only cause irritation and possibly infection, because it irritates the natural balance of bacteria in the vagina.

Vaseline's just not recommended because it's oil based and damages condoms. Definitely go for KY.
  • Options
    Agree on both with Illora.

Firstly, lotion rubs in, not... around.
    And usualyl when something indicates "for exernal use only" it means don't stick it up your vagina/bum. :p

KY may be a bit expensive seeming for the little bottle but it lasts a long long time, you only use a couple drops each time.

Though I'm sure theres other water based "sexual lubricants" out there besides ky.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    And usualyl when something indicates "for exernal use only" it means don't stick it up your vagina/bum.

:lol: okay good pint just wondering cos i really wanna have nice sex with my boyfeidn rather than yelling at him to get off!!
  • Options
    :lol: okay good pint just wondering cos i really wanna have nice sex with my boyfeidn rather than yelling at him to get off!!
    :lol: It burns, it burns! :crying:
  • Options
    other than damagiong the condom i dont think that ky will actually do any damage
  • Options
    But like Illora said, ky is a water based lubricant, therefore doing no harm or foul to a condom.
  • Options
    Vaseline is safe to use, except it rots latex so will cause the condom to split.

Hand creams aren't really a good idea because they are not designed for such sensitive skin.
  • Options
    Can't beat the KY....
  • Options
    does using ky take any pleasure away from the man though because hes worried that he wont be able to feel anything?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    :lol: It burns, it burns! :crying:

:yes: :lol:
  • Options
    does using ky take any pleasure away from the man though because hes worried that he wont be able to feel anything?

the wetter the better :thumb: