Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Taking tablets/pills

Have bought some of them special vitamin tablet things for before conceiving as me and my bf are going to start trying for a baby. The only problem is no matter what I try I can't physically swallow them. I just panick and nothing happens. Can anyone suggest any methods?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Crush them up and mix them in a yoghurt? I've heard of people doing that before..
  • Options
    it says on the box not to be chewed so wasn't sure if i should. could give it a try tho. not as though i can even tell if they're still working though because its just vitamins.
  • Options
    I used to crush tablets up and mix them with jam, but the tablespoons of jam used to make me gag as much as the tablets - these were only tiny hayfever tablets too!

I take tablets with no problems now. When I first started trying to take them again I used to take big gulps of drink then put the tablet in my mouth and carry on taking big gulps until it had gone. Seemed to work..
  • Options
    can u snap them in half?
  • Options
    I have the same thing. I panic, the drink goes down, but the tablet is still right there in my mouth.

The only thing that works for me is to chew up a mouthful of food, pop the pill in and quickly swallow. Something like toast works well. It has to be so thick that I can't feel the pill in the mouthful. I can get right up to capsule size doing this, whereas I couldn't even swallow my match-head size microgynon pills with a drink.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    can u snap them in half?

This is what I used to do. I also used to crush them and mix them with milk as well.
  • Options
    they are about capsule size, n i managed to cut one in half but it wasn't easy. prolly y they dont recommend chewing to b honest.
  • Options
    for some reason i've always been able to neck even the huuuuuuge capsule tablets down with hardly any drink. i HATE it when you don't swallow it on the first time and it starts to dissolve on your tongue. :yuck:

if anyone's had amoxicillin you'll probably agree that it tastes pretty rank even though it's in a capsule. the other week one came back up and it was just the powder, eurggggh. :(
  • Options
    Do you know if you can get this pill as a liquid (medicine) or soluble (sp?)?
  • Options
    they are pregnacare (think that's the name) vitamins. So probably not, haven't seen any liquidy ones to be honest. Will try grinding it up and eating with someone else, won't do any harm I guess. until I need folic acid etc cus I'll be pregnant, in which case i'll have to speak to a dr about it.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    kaffrin wrote:
    I have the same thing. I panic, the drink goes down, but the tablet is still right there in my mouth.

The only thing that works for me is to chew up a mouthful of food, pop the pill in and quickly swallow. Something like toast works well. It has to be so thick that I can't feel the pill in the mouthful. I can get right up to capsule size doing this, whereas I couldn't even swallow my match-head size microgynon pills with a drink.
    I can never ever take tablets either, never been able to.

I shall try your plan next week.
  • Options
    "Twelve tablets in a small, easy to swallow size". You then look inside and see they're all about the size as tennis balls...
  • Options
    i used to be awful with swallowing tablets, at one point i couldn't even swallow tiny painkillers. Now i can usually down any reasonable sized tablet/capsule if i have enough drink.
    I find swallowing them with milk really helps.
  • Options
    Can i just say that you should be taking folic acid BEFORE getting pregnant too, you don't need to see a doctor for this just buy over the counter. Check if you need it though or if there is enough in the pregnacare, i can't remember myself.

ETA after googling pregnacare, you don't need to take folic acid aswell as it contains the correct amount in it.
    Pregnacare
  • Options
    I find it easier to already have some water in my mouth, pop the pill in, swallow it down the have another drink. I used to have problems with paracetamol which taste vile if you let them even start to dissolve in your mouth :yuck:
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Can i just say that you should be taking folic acid BEFORE getting pregnant too, you don't need to see a doctor for this just buy over the counter. Check if you need it though or if there is enough in the pregnacare, i can't remember myself.

I'm not pregnant yet anyone but still taking them. I have also been eating bread and more green veg because I hear there's quite abit of folic acid in them too.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I had trouble swallowing pill at first. The first time it was a painkiller, less than two years ago. I remember sitting in a chair with my headache for several minutes before I finally gathered enough courage and swallowed it with lots of water. I didn't have any trouble since.
  • Options
    I'd talk with your pharmacist about the different ways to take it. I don't know why medicines are "do not crush, break or chew" but I work in a pharmacy and every day see lots of memos going out about what to do in the "do not crush" situations for patients that need it or reports back on in-services done on the same topic. Most medicines are do not crush for a reason, though there are ways to get around it.

Sorry I'm not more helpful. I wish I could tell you the why's and hows, but I know nothing, I just know that the pharmacist will be able to answer them for you ;)

Good luck, and crossing my fingers for you for the pregnancy!!
  • Options
    have jsut been looking on the pregnacare website and noticed it says:

We do not recommend chewing the tablets because they have not been formulated as chewable preparations. Chewable tablets usually include flavourings, sweeteners and/or added ingredients to help break the tablet up in the mouth.
    Does this mean that if I try I can still chew or break it up? Tried to swallow one again just before, tried gargling and everyhting and my throat literally just closes up.
  • Options
    It means that you'll just crush it with difficulty into foul tasting pieces. I'm a fan of the large mouthful of water and a large glass full, fill mouth, push tablet between lips then down the glass like your downing a pint. I challenge you to do that and not swallow the thing.
  • Options
    found this whilst browsing the net so there's hope yet:

http://www.auravita.com/products/aura/BIOA128110.asp?RefId=800&adid=BIOA128110

'Ideal for those who have difficulty swallowing capsules and tablets
    Can be taken sublingually (under the tongue) for those with gastrointestinal difficulties'