Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The: lets jump on the microsoft hate bandwagon

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Well as much as im guilty of jumping on the bandwagon and shouting about how shit microsoft is etc,

also im aware of peoples experiences with microsoft etc, but my desktop pc has now quite happily been running for a mere 21 days and a few seconds, as of about a few minutes ago

thats pure uptime, its not just how long its been on, its not been restarted, or put into hibernation or sleep, 21 days of pure running, with a few things installed, and uninstalled along the way, some heavy hard drive usage, and a fair bit of intensive cpu usage

so next time, spare a thought for those more fortunate than yourselves:yum:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What do you do with it 21 days straight?
  • Options
    play games

leave some things running while im at work etc

all sorts really
  • Options
    uptime!!
    downtime blows
  • Options
    I don't think anyone complains about the quality of their products (except Windows ME: what the fuck was that about?) more their business tactics of squeezing any competition out of the market then charging a fortune for their own products.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    You said "until now", but what happened? Did it freeze, crash or something else?
    I'm just curious really, people say "this OS can keep a computer running for longer than the other one" etc, but I have no idea what happens when they can't keep it running.
  • Options
    That's a good point. To be fair, that's a standard requirement for anyone running a server in a business. Other than a reboot maybe once a month for software updates and the like, our server is always on, recording video from the CCTV as well. That should be a given in operating systems.
  • Options
    A good point? But I wasn't making a point, just asking a question. :confused:
  • Options
    You said "until now", but what happened? Did it freeze, crash or something else?
    I'm just curious really, people say "this OS can keep a computer running for longer than the other one" etc, but I have no idea what happens when they can't keep it running.

i mean up until that point, i turned it off, but only cause i was swaping a hard drive around, otherwise im pretty sure it would have kept on going
  • Options
    I meant the point that was going to follow from me.:p Nah, you just made me think, actually, aren't computers supposed to be able to stay on for that long?
  • Options
    I meant the point that was going to follow from me.:p Nah, you just made me think, actually, aren't computers supposed to be able to stay on for that long?
    I suppose so, but I still don't know what happens.
  • Options
    I suppose so, but I still don't know what happens.
    Can't say I've ever tried it. I think after a while ours at work stops responding, or it starts taking ages to access it from the network. But we reboot it as soon if it ever does that, so I don't know what they next step is.
  • Options
    We've an old NT4 machine at work that's been online for about 40 weeks. Probably a year by now. I don't think anyone dares turn it off...

A few of the windows servers have to be rebooted now and then, but it's usually because another application is leaking memory or causing other problems.
    The vast majority are clustered, so it's not really a service issue.

I don't remember the unix machine being rebooted. Mind you, it's an AlphaServer with a few processors, so it could probably spit out a processor and no one'd worry too much.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    21 days?

Torrent marathon. :p

Erm, yeah, so it is stable and good. I like that and will appreciate it and compliment MS on XP being stable.

But there is still ALOT wrong with their products. And when we have little to no choice and (well, some of us) pay that much for it, it should be ALOT better.
  • Options
    Whoops, missed this :D. I've not had a problem with the overall stability of Windows for a good while now - anything based on the NT line should, in general, be a pretty capable OS. For me, it's the number of security updates, the unwillingness to close down non-responding applications, the fact that I'm stuck with IE when I don't use it, the ease that malware manages to get in, and the difficulty involved with finding applications - there is so much shit out there one has to sift through to find anything worthwhile.

However, a 3-week uptime on a WinXP box does indicate that you're not too thorough with your Windows updates ;).
  • Options
    yet ive never had a problem with malware, hmm

i usually just keep hitting restart later
  • Options
    this computers been on basically 24/7 for the last few years.. its usually on for a few weeks at a time due to having to restart (installs etc) but i had it running for 70 odd days before!!

(not bad for an 850 athlon and 256mb RAM :))
  • Options
    850 athlons, mmmmm
    used to have one of them
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    850 athlons, mmmmm
    used to have one of them
    I've still got my 700 Athlon. It never stays on for long though. I don't have an infinite electricity bill like everyone on here seems to.
  • Options
    i pay part of the bills with my mum and dad
  • Options
    I've still got my 700 Athlon. It never stays on for long though. I don't have an infinite electricity bill like everyone on here seems to.
    The last time I checked, my fileserver, firewall and email server had been up for over 400 days, but last weekend the Bios alarm went off, so I shut it down to change the CPU cooler.

On the plus side, that does mean I've got the boot message:

OpenBSD 3.4 (GENERIC) #18: Wed Sep 17 03:34:47 MDT 2003
    deraadt#i386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
    cpu0: AMD Athlon Model 1 ("AuthenticAMD" 686-class) 549 MHz
    cpu0: FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,MMX
    real mem = 66629632 (65068K)
    avail mem = 55914496 (54604K)

yup, that's right, a 550 Slot 1 Athlon with 64MB ram

I hate to think what my internet/email/file performance would be if I were running a Microsoft OS on that box.