Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tesco Petrol

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone else find their car give a lot less MPG's with Tesco Fuel?

I put in Tesco petrol last week and my oboard computer kept reporting figures like 28 MPG

Finally got rid and put in Shell and it's up to 38 MPG

Comments

• Options
    diesel is even dodgier.
    the margin for how much air comes out the nozzle as opposed to fuel ...is set at an unfair on the customer rate. and all legal.
  • Options
    my car hates it, it was tuned on shell 95 ron fuel and it performs terribly on tesco fuel, the 99ron tesco fuel you can get in some isn't bad but even that is just full of additives. for the extra couple of pence a litre for shell, thats what i go for every time.
  • Options
    JJ454 wrote:
    my car hates it, it was tuned on shell 95 ron fuel and it performs terribly on tesco fuel, the 99ron tesco fuel you can get in some isn't bad but even that is just full of additives. for the extra couple of pence a litre for shell, thats what i go for every time.

That's just it too, the Shell petrol was cheaper too

I only got Tesco last week cost I was running really low and it was the nearest - then last night was running low again but doing everything to avoid Tesco until I finally found a shell and put in their normal unleaded (not the optimax)

And instant 10 MPG's more... according to the little computer screen

Thing is also the Tesco's I did use was an old Esso station so not even sure if it's Esso or tesco petrol I actually got or if they're one and the same . anyway trying to stay away from Tesco. Asda is fine though.
  • Options
    I've never had a problem with supermarket fuel. But thats just me :).
  • Options
    I've had no probs with tesco fuel. Its the cheapest around here pretty much anyway.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Auto Express have done huge articles on this a few times - also, the "High Performance" premium fuel - its bullshit. The best is stick with normal stuff - Shell, BP, etc... just go for the normal grade. The BHP increase is minimal - in some cases the high performance fuel makes average cars worse! ... its only really worth it if you drive a Lambo or something.

Tesco fuel... no probs for us! Perhaps its a bad batch or someshit? Who knows.

Oh joy. I have stupid issues like this to look forward too. ;/
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Auto Express have done huge articles on this a few times - also, the "High Performance" premium fuel - its bullshit. The best is stick with normal stuff - Shell, BP, etc... just go for the normal grade. The BHP increase is minimal - in some cases the high performance fuel makes average cars worse! ... its only really worth it if you drive a Lambo or something.

^Very untrue.

My Scooby would make around 10% more power on Optimax. Why? Because it had an intelligent ECU, and would increase boost pressure when it sensed that more boost could be used without knocking.

My Peugeot 205GTi would pink in the summer. All of them do, unless you opt to build your own boutique ECU. But not on Optimax.

In simple terms, fuel from supplier A should be the same as that from supplier B, assuming the RON rating is the same. 95RON is 95RON is 95RON. Assuming the fuel is of the same age(petrol goes off), then it will be exactly the same, apart from whatever a particular manufacturer or distributor adds(detergents and whatnot).

Nothing added is likely to help performance in the slightest. It may help produce a cleaner burn(less emissions), there is a very, very small chance that it'll help give you 0.1mpg more. But, in reality, it makes no odds.

I've done loads of miles over the years, on all types of fuel. From time to time, you do get a 'bad' batch of fuel from a garage. Sometimes fuel from a quiet garage will have been sitting around for too long, and you can feel that the car isn't running quite as well as normal. But as supermarkets are busy, and tend to get refilled one per week minimum, then this won't be an issue.

I always use supermarket fuel. When I had the Scooby, I'd use Optimax from time to time(normally when I met up with other Scoobies). On a turbocharged car where the ECU will be monitoring and tinkering with the mixture, it can(and generally DOES) make a noticeable difference.

Is it worth it. Definately not. I seem to recall I could get 4% more economy, but the fuel was some 10% more expensive.

Good lord I'm boring. :)
  • Options

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah.....

Good lord I'm boring. :)

Very true. :D

I have no understanding on cars, just that they go form one place to another. BUt I know that my parents, my boyfriend, his parents, all of my friends and boyfriends friends will usually go to Tesco or Asda. It's cheaper (at least compared to the others in the town centre), and none of them have seen any difference. The boyfriends car is falling apart no matter what petrol goes in it :D
  • Options
    And I thought petrol was petrol no matter where you got it from.
  • Options
    And I thought petrol was petrol no matter where you got it from.

The only differences, as click says, are the amount of detergents that go into them. But even that makes hardly any difference.

Anybody who seems to find a different result from fuel at different petrol stations are probably looking too deeply into it.
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    The only differences, as click says, are the amount of detergents that go into them. But even that makes hardly any difference.

Anybody who seems to find a different result from fuel at different petrol stations are probably looking too deeply into it.

There's a HUGE difference between getting 28MPG on Tesco Fuel and getting 38MPG on Shell

It's called money!!
  • Options
    Dunno but i put asda fuel in last time and it's not running as well as when i use tescos.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Dunno but i put asda fuel in last time and it's not running as well as when i use tescos.

:yes: same. well, i put morrisons petrol in last time and its not running as well as when i use tescos.
  • Options
    I put diesel in and it's not running as well as petrol :p
  • Options
    Y'all should use moonshine...
  • Options
    I have no problems with Tesco petrol :)
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Very true. :D

Sod off! Just you wait, I'm going to sneak up behind you one night and scare you with the bell on my bike! :D
    The main difference is that Tesco will not have the lubricants that normal priced petrol stations would, and this is why they can seel it cheaper

Yer loobricant goos in yer soomp, net yer petrel tunk! :)

All that 'upper cylinder lubricant' is ballcocks. I've had heads off cars that have been run on pretty much solely supermarket fuel, and the valves, seats and stems have looked just about the same as any other car.

They may have a little less carbon build-up if they're run on expensive fuels, but I've not been able to do anything resembling a thorough testing of it, and any difference is so bloody minor you'd not pay an extra 1p per year for it.

Petrol is for burning. Oil is for lubricating. Use the best oil you can(and this doesn't mean go bunging Mobil 1 in your Fiesta) and the cheapest fuel that lets your car run properly. My motorcycle runs with Vauxhall 10w/40 semi-synthetic in it - £9 for 5 litres. I generally stick with supermarket fuel - but I'll go anywhere if I'm running on vapour. My Scooby had a somewhat harder life, and I used Millers 5w/50 synthetic in it, at £25 or so for 5 litres. Such oil is wasted in a Corsa, Saxo or anything else producing less than 100bhp per litre, as a general rule. My bike is making over 130bhp per litre, and is ran on cheap-but-good semi-synthetic...
  • Options
    Not really. You're more likely to find them in any fuel other than that at a supermarket, but as I said, they make next to no difference in the real world. :)
  • Options
    You had a scooby. That's a performance car.

Auto Express tested it on things like the Fiesta. It's hardly a fast car. It's an average car, and as such, didn't benefit from it in tests (They used a Dyno to mesure output).
  • Options
    And the 205? Is that a performance car? My Dad has a Volvo T5, is that a performance car?

205 likes higher octane fuel, the T5 doesn't care. T5 makes same power as the Scoob, give or take.

The line where 'everyday' and 'performance' is getting thinner and thinner. Don't get me wrong here - I agree with much of what you say. Everyday cars don't generally benefit from using a higher grade of fuel - but some of them do. And some performance cars don't care for the grade of fuel - but some of them do.
  • Options
    whats a scooby?
  • Options
    And the 205? Is that a performance car? My Dad has a Volvo T5, is that a performance car?

205 likes higher octane fuel, the T5 doesn't care. T5 makes same power as the Scoob, give or take.

The line where 'everyday' and 'performance' is getting thinner and thinner. Don't get me wrong here - I agree with much of what you say. Everyday cars don't generally benefit from using a higher grade of fuel - but some of them do. And some performance cars don't care for the grade of fuel - but some of them do.

205 GTi - yes mate.
    T5 - is the performance model.

Sorry mate, I ain't daft :p

But yeah, the line is getting thinner as techology advances - but the Fiestas entry level engine and the like is still crude.

Hopefully in the future we'll all drive high performance flying cars anywy. Kerosene!
  • Options
    whats a scooby?

Well it's either a talking dog or in this case a Subaru
  • Options
    Well it's either a talking dog or in this case a Subaru
    ahhh!
    i had a scooby pickup rust bucket for years ...mostly for carrying corn or chicken shit or wire and wood and things.
    brilliant motor.
    it could and did go where no other four b four could ...cos ...it had this flat four engine ...meaning it could travel on angles where any other motor would fall over cos the wieght of the engine would topple it sideways but ...not the scooby ...it's engine was flat as opposed to tall.
    not in your leauges i realise but ...as a land and road work horse ...unbeatable.
    i sold mine when it was around fifteen years old ...i still see it knocking about...now about twenty yeatrs old i'd imagine.
    but ...i do realise you guys aint going to be wanting to carry bails of anything much.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    205 GTi - yes mate.
    T5 - is the performance model.

Sorry mate, I ain't daft :p

But yeah, the line is getting thinner as techology advances - but the Fiestas entry level engine and the like is still crude.

Hopefully in the future we'll all drive high performance flying cars anywy. Kerosene!

205GTi is a performance car, but only because of the handling. The engine is great and all, but it struggles to make 130bhp - which is far from being 'performance' kind of power :).

And the T5 - it is the performance model, but it's still an estate car, with an automatic gearbox. I'll bet it's only pulling 60mph in what, 6.5 seconds?

To me, 'performance car' is anything hitting 60mph in 5.5s or under. Nothing wrong with cars that don't do it in that time, but you initially called a performance vehicle a Lambo, and a Lamborghini is in a different ballpark altogether compared to anything I've been referring to. :)
  • Options
    205GTi is a performance car, but only because of the handling. The engine is great and all, but it struggles to make 130bhp - which is far from being 'performance' kind of power :).

And the T5 - it is the performance model, but it's still an estate car, with an automatic gearbox. I'll bet it's only pulling 60mph in what, 6.5 seconds?

To me, 'performance car' is anything hitting 60mph in 5.5s or under. Nothing wrong with cars that don't do it in that time, but you initially called a performance vehicle a Lambo, and a Lamborghini is in a different ballpark altogether compared to anything I've been referring to. :)

The Lambo comment was a pisstake. :p

Performance is any engine running for maximum BHP and Torque over economy, regadless of actual performance. Most cars run for economy/performance balance - Performance is gonig all out at the expensise of economy, regardless of displacement, size, or any such thing.
  • Options
    I put Morrisons in yesterday morning and *supposedly* Ive had half a tank in that time already :confused: