Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Meeting people online!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well.... where do i start! It must have been november time when i first started chatting to this lad on MSN, we used to speak nearly every day, and we have so much in common! His such a lovely guy, and although we've never met kinda have some kind of connection, as cheesy as that sounds! He keeps asking to meet up with me, only thing is there is like 2 hours drive when his at home, whereas when his at uni, theres like 40 minutes, i like him alot, but scared that things could be a disaster!! What would you do, would you meet him?? HELP

Comments

• Options
    I can't say - but if you get on well with him, why chuck it away when it could be amazing?

Try it, see how it goes, least you'll know how you feel once you're in the position to make a better decision, innit.
  • Options
    Just take a mate along with you. Case he turns out to be a psycho.
  • Options
    I would say go for it. Choose somewhere public, and don't let your first meeting go on for too long. Those would be my only tips. Worth a try.
  • Options
    Yeah, go for it!

Don't forget your safety though! Get him to come up and see you, rather than you going to see him. You'll be safer if you're somewhere you know well, and if he does turn out to be not quite what you expect, you won't be stuck in an unfamiliar place.

I also agree with taking a mate or two. They can just hang around at a distance thouh, they don't have to be sitting next to you, so you can have a bit of privacy!
  • Options
    Like others have said, think about your safety - take a friend with you or let a friend know where you are and have them call you during the 'date' to check you are ok.

also, dont let your expectations get too too high. sounds like you have something fantastic with this guy online at the moment and there's nothing to say it wont be fantastic in real life too but just be prepared that it might also be a bit awkward and weird at first, dont go along expecting heaven and be disappointed, go along with an open mind and see what happens, then you might be pleasantly surprised with how well it goes :)

good luck and have fun!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    intrepide wrote:
    Like others have said, think about your safety - take a friend with you or let a friend know where you are and have them call you during the 'date' to check you are ok.

:yes: Many people on TheSite can vouch for the fact that meeting people that you have got to know online can be a great experience. However, there is a list of do's and don'ts that you should be aware of. Take a look at our article on this here and another on Meeting offline
    Take care ;)
  • Options
    i originally met my bf online, we met up in person nearly 2 years ago, it was in the middle of a big park in summer and i had my family with me so i was very safe!
    go for it
  • Options
    how old are you out of interest? i probably wouldnt go if it involved her bringing parents/friends along on a date, maybe if they just came for a little while to make sure i wasnt a psycho etc...

but thats different for me, im old enough to handle my own situations.

can understand the differences if you are young etc...

but good luck! you should be fine if you feel you know him well enough to make that next step!
    i think meeting in a public space is best idea, just incase.
  • Options
    i met my ex boyfriend online so go for it, it can actually work! (even though we split up :p). if you don't get along, what have you got to lose?

i'd suggest meeting somewhere in public and make sure someone knows where you're going. my ex came into my work to see me first and then i met him after he'd finished playing football so there were lots of people around but i kinda figured he wasn't a weirdo anyway but you never know.

good luck. :)
  • Options
    Go for it just be sensible. :)
  • Options
    Yeah it'd probably be worth a go. Two hours is fuck all to be honest. I used to drive that to work every day.

But yeah, be sensible about it. If you turn up there and he turns out to be some 40 year old pervert with a leer and dodgy teeth, then do yourself a favour and don't go back to his place with him like some stupid idiots do, and then blame the internet when it all goes pear-shaped.
  • Options
    Yep it does work. I live a seven hour train journey away from my girlfriend. But it is worth it. Our relationship started out as just friends helping each other out with issues online, but then we both admitted that we liked each other.

Before we met though, I had recieved, texts, emails, letters, parcels, telephone calls from her, spoken with her family, and she with mine. So we already knew each other very well before we met. When we did, it seemed so normal, like we had been seeing each other all along, which is lovely. She came to stay with me for a weekend. It worked for us, because we had been talking on the phone for an hour every day for three months, so there was no uncomfortableness, but if I hadnt felt so comfortable with it, then a weekend might have been too long.
  • Options
    me and my boyfriend met off the net and hes the best thing that ever happened to me altho we do have our ups and downs, but i dont have one single regret about it!
  • Options
    I was chatting to a guy off myspace who lives near me and we met up at the weekend. It was a great day and hes an amazing guy but nothing came from it. I can't say you will definetly have something when you meet up, but you could at least make a cool mate in the process.
  • Options
    if i get speaking to someone online who i get on with well and would like to meet in person, then i wont hesitate in meeting them.

I dont see what the big deal is, theres nothing to lose, he's no likely to be a wierdo than is any random you see in the street

As long as you have common sense then i see no reason to not meet him. 2 hours is not far, either

As others have said, let him come to you so that your in a familiar place should it all go pear shaped

probably dont do what i did and take him straight back to your house to drop his bags off :razz: