Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Who would get the stick?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello, this may sound like a stupid question however after recent events I was wondering...

If someone was to slash my car tyres (and I caught them on tape and saw them the next day... without the knife) would I get into legal trouble for hitting him?

Also, if someone hit me first and I hit them back, who would most likely get the trouble (if police got called)?

Thanks for any answers... and forgive me for not explaining why I need/want to know this information :)

Comments

• Options
    Yes, its assault.
  • Options
    Yes, as its pre medidated. If youd hit him at the time it might have been different, but as youve had time to stew on it its pre medidated. So yes its assault even if the scumbag deserves it.
  • Options
    1. Yes, you would be prosecuted, and the fact that you planned to do this would count against you at sentence.

2. It would depend how many times you hit them.

The law is very very clear- you can use reasonable force to protect yourself and your family. The force needs to be enough to stop the assailant, but no more. A pre-emptive strike is allowed if you reasonably believe that you are in imminent danger of attack.

To illustrate, if a man ran at you with a gun, threatening to shoot you, it would be reasonable force for you to stab him, even if that means he dies. But if a man slaps you across the face with a trout, it would not be reasonable to stab him 14 times in the chest.

To use your example, if a man punched you in the face, it would be reasonable to punch him until the danger is lapsed- either by falling to the floor or by running away. It would not be reasonable to then stamp on his head as he was on the floor, and it would not be reasonable to chase after him and beat him, because the real and present danger has gone away. It would also not be reasonable to continue the fight until you win- if you could reasonably escape the danger, and choose not to, it can prove very tricky to claim self-defence.
  • Options
    Thank you... that clears it all up :)
  • Options
    Unfortunately, as much as the cunt might deserve a kicking, you'd get into legal hot water.