Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

marks and spenser interview

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all :yippe:
I just passed the initial telephone interview with the Marks and Spenser they said that they will call me for further interview.. can anybody tell me what type of question will they ask in that interview any tips to get through... thanks very much..

sajnadoordia :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    Hi.

Ive applied for temp work over the summer at M&S through the website but i havnt phoned them yet. I dont know how the interview works so i would be thankful if you could let me know what im in for :)

(Sorry this has nothing to do with answering your question!)
  • Options
    Maybe learn how to spell it before you go. :p
  • Options

they'll probably ask you info about the brand itself....like for example how many stores they have...what other stores/brands they own or run. they might ask you about customer service and when you used it or did you ever get treated with bad customer service, explain etc. I've passed all my interviews for jobs first time around apart from one. which was for a video shop and now I work in HMV. 400+ applied for the staff and luckily I got it :thumb: been there ever since. be nice and friendly. dont worry
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Yeah, I was about to say that....
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Yeah, I was about to say that....
    Ditto.

There's a podcast on this website somewhere with interview tips. Well worth a listen.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Hi.

Ive applied for temp work over the summer at M&S through the website but i havnt phoned them yet. I dont know how the interview works so i would be thankful if you could let me know what im in for :)

(Sorry this has nothing to do with answering your question!)

Firstly Renzo, you need to spell Marks and Spencer (note the C not an S). Secondly, what work experience have you got in the past? - anything from bar work, working in Woolworth's or even selling yourself on the street lol. Finally its important to be yourself.
  • Options
    I know for M & S they make you approach a customer during your interview. So they can see what your cust serv skills are like etc.
  • Options
    400+ applied for the staff and luckily I got it :thumb: been there ever since. be nice and friendly. dont worry

400+ people applied for the student union job I got :D

Those 400 applications were reduced to 100 interviews then 30 people were chosen out of those.

As you can imagine, I was very happy when I heard this!
  • Options
    I worked at M&S a year or so ago. Unless things have changed if you've passed the telephone interview you've basically got the job (unless you really muck up the further interview). The next bit, the actual interview as someone has already said involves approaching a customer; asking them about M&S, what products they like, etc so just be confident and polite. Common sense really. If you're formally offered the job you'll probably have to do 2 or 3 days of 'training' which involves watching a few videos and stuff, the training can seem a bit of a pain but it's not hard work and it's paid so you can't really complain. Good luck.
  • Options
    I work for M&S I can remember my interview, I was asked questions about how I worked as a member of a team in the past and had to give examples, I was also asked about the products M&S sell and what I liked about them.

When you ask customers questions make sure you listen to them sounds simple but I can recall that I lost concentration and though to myself that I have no idea what this person is talking about, fortunately I was able to answer the questions at the end.
  • Options
    Hey guys.

I've been having problems with the telephone interview. I've tried it twice now and failed both times (even though I've not seen any real problems with my answers). I'm really determined to get a job at M&S: it seems like a really nice place to work, and I've been recommended it by many people.

Has anyone got any tips for the phone interview, such as what sort of things to keep as your top priority when answering. So far I've been more focused on making the theoretical decisions for the customer.

I'm not trying to cheat my way through the screening process, I just want some guidance.

• Options
    Bear-Max wrote:
    Hey guys.

I've been having problems with the telephone interview. I've tried it twice now and failed both times (even though I've not seen any real problems with my answers). I'm really determined to get a job at M&S: it seems like a really nice place to work, and I've been recommended it by many people.

Has anyone got any tips for the phone interview, such as what sort of things to keep as your top priority when answering. So far I've been more focused on making the theoretical decisions for the customer.

I'm not trying to cheat my way through the screening process, I just want some guidance.

What do they actually ask you on the phone interview?
  • Options
    It's a series of 12 multiple choice questions, whih put you into a variety of scenarios.

For instance:

Question 1: A customer comes into the store with a number of complaints about an item they've bought. They're demanding a refund but do not have the receipt.

Answer A: Explain to the customer that they can not have a refund without the receipt.

Answer B: Try to find an alternative solution to the refund.

Answer C: Call the manager to deal with the situation.
  • Options
    M&S interviews are a piece of piss, and yeah once you've passed the phone interview (though they didn't have that "back in the day..") I'm pretty sure you've got it unless you're a total Terry at the interview.

That said, I wouldn't recommend working there to my worst enemy, but I'm sure that varies from store to store. Don't let my negativity put you off ;)
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    well i applied, and i didnt even get through the initial telephone interview...possibly due to working at sainsburys to long and no longer giving two hoots about customer service!
    but good luck love
  • Options
    Okay, officially annoyed.

I passed the phone interview on my third try, but there were no openings at my local store (despite the staff in there saying so). And, even though the automated message said they could store my details if there aren't openings, the advisor on the line said otherwise.

Damn :(
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Ditto.

There's a podcast on this website somewhere with interview tips. Well worth a listen.

Here you go ;)
  • Options
    Please Help Me!!!

Please i really really want a job at Marks and Spencers in a london store but i keep failing the test. please can someone tell me the answers to the questions because i need a good paying job to pay for my volunteering in Brazil next year. Please please if you have the answers give them to me as i really really desperatly want a job.
  • Options
    Please i really really want a job at Marks and Spencers in a london store but i keep failing the test. please can someone tell me the answers to the questions because i need a good paying job to pay for my volunteering in Brazil next year. Please please if you have the answers give them to me as i really really desperatly want a job.

Christ. Stop whining. First of all, do you actually give any thought to the answers? Be confident and don't sound clueless. Or go and get a job somewhere else.
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    Christ. Stop whining. First of all, do you actually give any thought to the answers? Be confident and don't sound clueless. Or go and get a job somewhere else.

It's a series of multiple choice questions, not an actual interview.

Babygirl, you've gone the complete wrong way about asking for help. Someone telling you the answers is going to do naught but make you look like an idiot when (and if) you get an interview in-store. You'd be much better off asking for guidance rather than "Gimme the answers".

Think about it; if you were working in a shop, what would your main priority be? Customers? Teamwork? Getting things done? Think about the mentality you should be having and base your answers around that.