Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Forensics/Criminology

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Something I've always been really interested in (and no, not just because of CSI). I'd really like to do either of these to in some way or another, but is it the type of thing that you need 12 Uni degrees for?

Anyone got any info?

Comments

• Options
    edited 'cause i read the post wrongly and thought you were asking what the degree would be like.

what kind of criminology are you interested in?
  • Options
    i've just finished my 2nd year of a criminology and social policy degree.

what do you want to know? :)

I take it it's one of those things you need to go to uni to do then? Bollocks.

I was hoping there'd be some kinda course I could do while I'm working, 'cause I'm probably gonna be moving down to Essex some time this year and won't be able to go to uni.
  • Options

I was hoping there'd be some kinda course I could do while I'm working, 'cause I'm probably gonna be moving down to Essex some time this year and won't be able to go to uni.

you quoted me after i edited. :p

i would assume with forensics you might need a degree because of the biological/chemical side to it etc etc.

what did you want to be? as in be a forensic scientist?

if you were wanting to join the police you can fast track with a degree but otherwise you don't need one. you might even be able to work your way upto forensics without a degree, i'm really not sure. have you searched on the internet/spoken to your local police station?
  • Options

My mate did a degree in Forensic Psychobiology at uni, and he's away to join the police as...something, I forget.

Can't be that hard anyway, he pissed about at uni just as much as I did. Plus he's from Kilmarnock.

Deffo need a degree though mate :yes:
  • Options
    you quoted me after i edited. :p

i would assume with forensics you might need a degree because of the biological/chemical side to it etc etc.

what did you want to be? as in be a forensic scientist?

if you were wanting to join the police you can fast track with a degree but otherwise you don't need one. you might even be able to work your way upto forensics without a degree, i'm really not sure. have you searched on the internet/spoken to your local police station?

Not really the scientific side of forensics tbh, even though I excelled in chemistry at scool (ahem). It's more the actual going to the crime scene type of shit I'm interested in (I know this makes me sound like a CSI fanboy, I'm really not)

I've had a look at this but I'm pretty you'd have to have been in the Police for some time before going for it.

I'll give my local police recruitment place a phone, cheers :)
  • Options
    it's probably not something you can volunteer in therefore having a degree might place you in a good position over someone else. whereas if you had done some volunteer work, that'd work in your favour. good luck. :)