Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Scottish Executive;tower blocks too stressful for asylum seekers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This refers to a headline in the Scottish edition of yesterdays 'Daily Mail',but i don't think it is just a Scottish issue.The article goes on to quote advice given to refugee support workers. ''Wherever possible, avoid allocations of temporary/permanent accommodation in high-rise developments.By far,high-rise flats were the most unpopular type of accommodation mentioned by refugees in the focus group.'' By way of explanation the authorities go on to say that some people come here from countries where such buildings do not exist and living at such heights can cause them anxiety.By way of balance the newspaper speaks to a Ugandan lady,living in the 16th floor of a Glasgow tower who says she is grateful for her home.While this comes from the amateurish little Parliament that my fellow Scots have cursed us with,it is not unlike some U.K wide policies recently, that do no-one any favours and cause resentments unneccessarily.

Comments

• Options
    I think if you had a focus group of British people, high rise flats would also come out as the most unpopular places to live. All this giving special treatment to asylum seekers is ridiculous. They are here, they are housed, they are safe. What more do they want? Red carpets? A personal valet? Please!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    I think if you had a focus group of British people, high rise flats would also come out as the most unpopular places to live. All this giving special treatment to asylum seekers is ridiculous. They are here, they are housed, they are safe. What more do they want? Red carpets? A personal valet? Please!:rolleyes:
    If you are blame anyone don't blame the asylum seekers. They haven't exactly made any demands have they?
  • Options
    Precisely.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    If you are blame anyone don't blame the asylum seekers. They haven't exactly made any demands have they?
    I don't blame the asylum seekers. I blame the left-wing civil servant who put the needs of asylum seekers before the needs of the British taxpayers. Its time the civil servants were reminded who pays their wages.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone should have to live in a tower block, I have done twice and it's horrible.
    :yuck: