Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Age to buy knives

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Apparently there are calls for the age to buy a knife to rise from 16 to 18. Will this make any difference to kids carrying knives? I'm just wondering what the apprentice electrician does, who needs to buy a stanley knife to do his job, or the 16/17 year old who's moved out of their parents house and needs to buy a set of kitchen knives.

Comments

• Options
    I think, like most laws like this, the situation will judge the reaction - someone with 3 flower pots, some new duvet covers, a 20 piece set of tableware, a 20 piece cultery set and a wooden block and patch 3 piece knife set is hardly likely to have a problem buying them -

the scared looking 15 clutching a samurai sword, is going to be asked their age.
  • Options
    yeh i've heard about that.

i work at tesco and when someone tries to buy any cutlery (i.e. spoons) the till comes up with a prompt asking whether they're over 16!

not sure about how much difference it would make, afterall you can just pinch a knife out of your mum's kitchen drawer can't you!
  • Options
    I got ID'd whilst buying a knife at Tescos when I was 21. :D
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I got ID'd whilst buying a knife at Tescos when I was 21. :D

i work there and i got ID'd buying alcohol the week before my 21st birthday. i was like i work here you moose. :grump:

not as bad as them thinking you must've looked 15!
  • Options
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAgh!
  • Options
    Me, my brother and some mates were buying some booze at different tills at xmas (he's my twin so 30 - as are my old school mates). He got refused unless he came back with a passport -

christ, we took the piss out of him for about 3 days
  • Options
    Ignore me people ....
  • Options
    not as bad as them thinking you must've looked 15!
    Yeah. I burst out laughing I seem to recall, but maybe there's a compliment in there somewhere.
  • Options
    they'll just get them elsewhere won't they?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Ballerina wrote:
    they'll just get them elsewhere won't they?

Or ask their 18 year old friends to get them one.

At least I am 18. Woo.
  • Options
    I buy knives for kids on a regular basis.

I'm a snorkel instructor and buy the kids knives from the dive shop for them, they can't buy them but need them as safety kit when we do open water.

Handily enoughh I'm known in the dive shop so no longer get dodgy looks for buying evil looking knives 5 at a time!
  • Options
    either you need them under 18 or if you want one as a weapon you get some dodgy older guy to go get one for them!