Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Panic attacks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm new here and haven't managed to find a thread on panic attacks... If you can direct me to one already on here that would be great... otherwise post here. I started suffering from them about a year and a half ago and recently they've become a lot worse and more frequent sometimes 2-3 times a day but I don't know how to cope with them at all I tried talking to a teacher I told some other stuff to but felt embarassed because I thought he wouldn't understand. Its got to the point where I am starting to isolate myself from the places which seem to get them most often. I need help... any advice particularly those who have/had suffered from then

Comments

• Options
    Do you have any common link which might tell you what is causing them - ie phobias or social anxiety?
  • Options
    Yeah, they happen when I'm in a place with only a few people up to about 8 or 9 normally. It doesnt have to be a small room although that doesnt help but its worse when I'm standing/sitting really close to other people or its really quiet. i dont get it because in big crowds I'm absolutely fine even in small crowded places... It happens a lot when I'm out with just my friends could that be social anxiety?
  • Options
    Social anxiety is more to do with struggling with the actual communication with people making you panicky, rather than proximity to others, that is what caused mine when I used to get them bad, but also stress.

There was a post on it a month back http://http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=87657
  • Options
    i have them, i had 2 this morning actually - my medicine hadn't kicked in
    i take propanolol which are beta blockers. Have a talk with your doctor. The first 1 i saw didn't prescribe them but i went to another (who we know) and he prescribed them. He also offered councelling at the health center too, and i'm going tomorrow.
  • Options
    Hey,

I had a viral infection at the beginning of last year which caused me to lose weight, I found myself quite week and unable to cope and be up for things I took for granted like going to the pub, shopping etc.

I then started to get bad anxiety as anything and everything seemed too much. The thought of having to do something the next day un- nerved me as I would think "what if I dont feel very well" or "what if I have a panic attack" this would become a vicious cycle as then I would have a panic attack just from worrying.

I found that after putting on a bit more weight and not feeling so light headed and weak they started to get better. I still get anxious now.

I couldnt find a cure, but know it sounds irritating, but try to keep your mind off it. Take things a bit at a time. I found having a hobby - mine was painting. Getting yourself into a little project where you are the boss, its not vital to do but can be rewarding, this builds your confidence.

Finding someone to talk to always helps, to express your feelings, anything you're worried about. Sounds silly, but look up on the net some breathing exercises in case you do have a panic attack.

If I was at home, if I felt one coming on, I'd get into bed, snuggle into my duvet and watch my favourite film. (sad but its Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, an MGM musical) I would become relaxed and i wouldnt be focussing on how Im feeling.

If your out and about, sit down and breathe. I started to take a bottle of water with me everywhere, so if I felt uneasy, Id have something to drink. Also making sure you've eaten is important.

I was at uni when I started to get them, I didnt enjoy being away from home. Not the best option, but the best for my health, I finished at Uni and started a life where I feel more comfortable.

I started to isolate myself too, but getting yourself stuck into projects really does help. I hated leaving the house or being in the house by myself. I now have my own place!!

Panic and anxiety dont ever go away, its just keeping it a level where you are in control. As I said, I still get anxious, but I tell myself to stop being so silly and just get on with things. I find the thought of doing something is a lot worse than doing it.

I hope this helps, sorry, wanst meant to be such a long post!!! :)
  • Options
    No, thank-you

I have a huge exam on Monday and its made me feel a bit better
  • Options
    I get them occassionally, I just try to relax myself as much as possible then it's alright after that.
  • Options
    Rescue remedy works wonders.
  • Options
    as you know im only 13.. but can someone explain what a panic attack is? i sometimes get these things were ill just be doing anything ( usually at home ) and my eyes will start to go blurry and darker, and in a about 2-4 seconds i dont have sight, till like another 2-5 seconds.

but on tuesday i experienced this, on a bigger scale, and although i dont remember much, i remember getting out of bed, getting outta bed, ( my bunk bed ) and this happened with my eyes, then i remember shaking. then a couple of seconds later my eyesight came back, but i was on the other side of the room on the floor with my back against the wall with the ladder off my bed over my arm
  • Options
    I had a panic attack on a bus a couple of years ago (and haven't been on one since). First my temperature rose, I was flushed in the face, I started to sweat profusely, and shake. Breathing was very difficult and it felt f-ing horrible tbh and I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me whole.

What you've described, doesn't sound like a panic attack. It sounds worrying actually, to lose sight for any length of time should be looked at by a GP.
  • Options
    basically a panic attack is an overload of adrenalin - they're fucking nasty though
    they make you shake, feel very sick, sweat, hyperventalate and loads of other nice stuff
    what annoys me most was how alot of people were very ignorant towards it....my school first aider and the receptionist hate me (it's been confirmed that they bitch about me) because i was always being sent home because i'd get in such a state. They thought i was doing it for attention and to get out of school. It's really quite upsetting when people won't take time to understand because it just makes it worse.
  • Options
    yeah.. i dont think their that serious, only started shaking on tuesday when i had a day off school. havnt had one like those since.
  • Options
    advice please (sorry im kinda intruding in ur thread :blush: )....

so last night was NOT a good night, it was my friends birthday and we had a little party, its was all good until we were about to go home. My friend gave me some kind or head massage thing and it seemed to kindof trigger me..

(the rutine was) i would get incredibly shaky, cold and weak; it would build up loads and then my body would completly relax and i couldnt stand up as much as i wanted to and my breating would go really funny and heavy. this happend about 3/4 on the way home. thank god for my friends who kept managing to bring me round.

any advice? whats going on? im assuming they're panic attacks?
  • Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    Just to let you know we are hoping to put a new article up on panic attacks very soon, with a real-life account of one and some advice, so I will let you know when it goes live...

Panic attacks are nasty, my tip is to always carry some polos or sweets on you as when you feel like your breathing is getting difficult, for some reason the sucking really helps you control it. There is often a trigger as well and when you recognise what that is, say being in a car, in a small space, on a train and so on, then it often helps calm yourself down if you tell yourself it's just an attack and you will be okay in the end, not easy tho to do I know...
    All the best