Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My gay mate

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am a young man, and one of my best mates is a gay. We have a lot in common,and we spend a lot of time together. The only worry I have is, when he gets drunk he gets very flirty with me. Thats just one thing we don't have in common.

What is the best way to approach him about it, barring in mind that he will deny it. I don't want him to think I don't want to be mates!

Comments

• Options
    Tell him what you told us.
  • Options
    just be direct. you are friends and if you mention it in a serious tone he will get the hint
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Tell him what you told us.
    tell him. :yes: - simple.
  • Options
    but maybe not too direct or he'll get anoyed? just because hes gay doesnt mean hes gona feel that way about you cos your a lad. dont mean to sound harsh, im sure ur v fit.... im actually just saying that to be nice. im REALLY going to shut up now. its been a long day leave me alone.
  • Options
    either take one for the team

or tell him straight out
  • Options
    MattMatt wrote:
    I am a young man, and one of my best mates is a gay. We have a lot in common,and we spend a lot of time together. The only worry I have is, when he gets drunk he gets very flirty with me. Thats just one thing we don't have in common.

What is the best way to approach him about it, barring in mind that he will deny it. I don't want him to think I don't want to be mates!

As a ... *ahem* ... batsman for the other team myself, I would suggest that you do speak to him directly. Many young gay guys get very confused with the signals given off by straight mates so they need to be corrected as soon as possible.

You could say to him something like :-

"You know that our friendship is more important to me than your sexuality. However, when you are drunk, you sometimes appear to be flirting with me and this makes me feel very uncomfortable. If you are doing this on purpose, please stop because this may interfere with our continuing friendship. However, if you are not doing it on purpose, at least you are aware of the situation and can change this impression for next time."

May I also add that he needs to be aware that he is VERY LUCKY to have such a loyal and supportive friend such as you. Many straight guys drop their gay friends as soon as they find out about their sexuality - as if they fear that they may be tarnished with the same brush. You deserve congratulations.
  • Options
    Aw Teagan... you're just so cool! I wanna give you hugs! *hugs!*
  • Options
    Aw Teagan... you're just so cool! I wanna give you hugs! *hugs!*

:blush: .. that is just soooo sweet .. thank you! *huge hugs back * :)