Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is the West imposing its own moral code

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...on whaling

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5085730.stm
Japan's deputy commissioner to the IWC, Joji Morishita, says the organisation has become too concerned with conservation.

Speaking on BBC Five Live Breakfast he said many Japanese people felt the IWC was "arrogant" and that whales could be used on a sustainable basis.

This meant "science and probably international law" were on the side of the Japanese, he said.

"Many of the Japanese citizens thinks that westerners, (the) outside world, is imposing their own value code on Japan on an emotional basis, and naturally they think they're bullies or... arrogant."

Comments

• Options
    Given how the West fishes everything else I cant see how we can be high and mighty about whaling.
  • Options
    I agree. We've depleted ordinary fish stocks ourselves - I don't see how whales are any different.

Not that the moralising of Western governments is much of a surprise nowadays.
  • Options
    Yes, probably.

Save the whales!
  • Options
    The West is as hypocritical as anyone else in the world...enough said!
  • Options
    Er two wrongs don't make a right etc etc.

Yes, the West is hypocritical. But that doesn't mean we should say "oh well if Western nations are fishing certain species to fuck I don't see why we should try to prevent other nations to fish other species to fuck too".

The more species that are protected, the better.

I'd support a Japanese motion to ban cod fishing tomorrow if it were down to me.

In the meantime, if the whale fishing moratorium is lifted, there's hoping the fishing fleets will bump into a few of these

300px-Mina_morska_typu_M_1908-39.jpg
  • Options
    I have mixed views

On one hand I think we should impose our values on the rest of the world and on the other I really don't give a flying fuck about whales.

That's the trouble with being right wing :chin:
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    I have mixed views

On one hand I think we should impose our values on the rest of the world and on the other I really don't give a flying fuck about whales.

:lol:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yes, the Whaling is awful and should be stopped.

The Chinese navy obviously don't give a fuck about whales, but they did fire on a Japanese Whaling vessle that entered their waters. Greenpeace and the IWC and that should pay the Chinese to sink whaling vessels. It'd make me laugh.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    I have mixed views

:lol: that's gotta be post of the week.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Yes, the Whaling is awful and should be stopped.

The Chinese navy obviously don't give a fuck about whales, but they did fire on a Japanese Whaling vessle that entered their waters. Greenpeace and the IWC and that should pay the Chinese to sink whaling vessels. It'd make me laugh.

me too! thanks a fantastic solution!
  • Options
    the japanese demand for whale meat is getting that bad now, they're chucking meat away from whales they do catch, and they've resorted to using it in dog food and forcing it in school dinners

they dont need to catch anymore, other than for appearing to support 'tradition' instead of retraining these fishermen
  • Options
    torpedo.jpg
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    22081l.jpg

Few of these would stop the whaling...