Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What makes us not care?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Apathy. You've all seen it. It's how we're able to watch scenes of bloodshed, poverty, and destruction on the evening news and go on with our dinners. It's how we see a homeless person on the street and pass right by without thinking. It's how more people are worried about which movie stars hook up than what's going on in their government.

So who's to blame for this sudden attack of who-gives-a-damn? The government? A lot of them seem to be ignoring the people. Society? It teaches us about instant gratificiation. But you know who's really behind it?

We are.

We, myself included, just to let you know this isn't a sermon and I'm ragging on me, too. We don't care as much, or often enough, or we're too content with our lives, or something. If you don't like something, change it. Hate what your government's doing? Call one of your representatives, join a grassroots organization, and vote. Hate the violence in the world? Join Greenpeace or the Peace Corps. Hate what's happening to the environment? Research alternative fuels and start recycling.

The point is, we've got to break from this apathy, or we're all screwed over. First step is to start caring again. Educate yourself. Be aware what's happening in your government, local and national. Decide what matters to you and fight for it. Volunteer once a week.

As a collective, we the people have an enormous amount of power. Are you just going to throw that away?

Comments

• Options
    who cares

/obvious joke
  • Options
    well, quite a hell of a lot of us are doing what we can, there is a huge underswell in the world of people who are doing what they need to do to improve their world or the world at large.
    eg the pro democracy protests in nepal that have overthrown the king and have installed a fully powerful government
    but this raises the question what is best for the majority of people, converting to hardline extremist islam and kill all infidels
    sending all my money (£40 at the moment) to africa give all my clothes turf out my mother sell the house give everything i own to charity?
    many people unfortunaely believe that if they take their globalised business to sierra leone or sudan will help the situation! but to me capitalism wont help those people, peace will, the capitalist says work will bring peace, theres so many differing opinions to improve the world,
    Money given to poverty stricken countries may not actually help it could be diverted by the gov, to buy arms and increase turmoil?

you just have to do the best you can and if we all did that it would create a better world, if Gandhi and MLK Jr. had no supporters then it would have got no where, its the mass mobilisation of people that will change the world!

sorry kinda went of on one
  • Options
    Individualism maybe?

Or it could be a fear of being cast out... Of not fitting in.

Is it hip to care? Is it cool to be an ethical consumer? To trade your Nike for No Sweat goods and your Lynx for CFC free deodorant?

What about homeless people, if we give to somebody on the street are we being too soft?

Protests and activisms, does that make us hippies and unfashionable?

Bleh... I dunno.
  • Options
    its the mass mobilisation of people that will change the world!
    are there any examples of mass mobilisation of peoples ...resulting in anything good?
  • Options
    Greed mainly. Don't blame governments, humans are just naturally greedy *waits for Blagsta to say "is there anything natural in humans?" :p *
  • Options
    are there any examples of mass mobilisation of peoples ...resulting in anything good?
    That is just what i have been trying to find out. I'm trying to start my own mass mobilisation of people but it is hard to get them off their sofa's. lol
    Most people don't see how much of a problem apathy is.
  • Options
    I dont think it's a question of not caring because people do. I think people feel powerless and wonder what can one person actually do. Blah I dunno
  • Options
    tallerbird wrote:
    That is just what i have been trying to find out. I'm trying to start my own mass mobilisation of people but it is hard to get them off their sofa's. lol
    Most people don't see how much of a problem apathy is.
    you didn't answer my question:yeees:
  • Options
    Humans are inherently selfish.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Humans are inherently selfish.
    But actually I think we are much, much more outward looking than previous generations ever have been. We've created global divisions of wealth but we are acutely aware of them. I don't think apathy stops us - we could blame that on selfishness for sure. I think it is keeping up with the Joneses that stops us - we live in a competitive world and of course we put our own interests first.

Huge movements like Jubilee 2000 and Make Poverty History demonstrate the strength of feeling. But our leaders need to take brave decisions and make commitments along with other world leaders to make differences.

We are inherently selfish, but there is altruism in everyone. Whether you give your money to the RNLI, Royal British Legion or World Vision. Or if you go shopping for an elderly neighbour.

Apathetic we are not.
  • Options
    you didn't answer my question:yeees:
    That's because there are no good examples, at least none in recent history. Just because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean that it can't be achieved.
    One recent example does spring to mind. I wasn't going to mention it because it didn't really accomplish its goals however i think that a lot of good did come from it. I'm talking about the fuel tax protests a few years back. The best thing that came from this was that people realised that something can be done. We are not powerless. If you get enough people to support your cause then you can achieve anything.
  • Options
    I dont know the answer, i just know im unhappy with my life and it doesnt make me happy to care about stuff more as when i do care i end up even more unhappy inevitably so it is best to not care at all.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    I dont know the answer, i just know im unhappy with my life and it doesnt make me happy to care about stuff more as when i do care i end up even more unhappy inevitably so it is best to not care at all.
    Does it not feel better to know that you have tried (even if you fail), than not to have tried at all?
  • Options
    tallerbird wrote:
    That's because there are no good examples, .
    ahhh ...thats what i was wondering.
    as foir the fuel protests ...i was and am ...totaly against them and the prick that led it all ...brinly williams ...lives near me.
    it cuased massive problems and shortages and achieved ...nothing.
  • Options
    tallerbird wrote:
    Does it not feel better to know that you have tried (even if you fail), than not to have tried at all?
    No, not at all! Just makes me wish i hadnt bothered!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Its the indoctrination into the current system... it teaches us to be like this... we are bought up from an early age this way. It's the most beneficial way to be in the Western Capitalist system... Think of Number One at all times! We are even told it is "Human Nature" despite the obvious evidence that suggests it isn't!

True Human Natures shows itself in an extreme situation. If we were REALLY selfish... we wouldn't have the world we do today with so much coopperation in it and people worknig together in things.

Take an extreme situation. A disater, a war, whatever. People go back into danger!... to help others get out safely... to help the injured who can't walk or something... to save others lives!... even those they don't know! For no benefit of their own. They don't do it for the media attention or fame... they do it because that is TRUE human nature. Selfless. Kind. Helpful. Thats when all the indoctrination and social conditioning is forgetten in an extreme situation.

People even say after, they didn't think about their own peril of whatever. No, because Human Nature took over. Soldiers in War... Heroes of 9/11... The Tsunami... Earthquakes... all have such stories of Heroes. If Humans really were selfish, there would be none.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Its the indoctrination into the current system... it teaches us to be like this... we are bought up from an early age this way. It's the most beneficial way to be in the Western Capitalist system... Think of Number One at all times! We are even told it is "Human Nature" despite the obvious evidence that suggests it isn't!

True Human Natures shows itself in an extreme situation. If we were REALLY selfish... we wouldn't have the world we do today with so much coopperation in it and people worknig together in things.

Take an extreme situation. A disater, a war, whatever. People go back into danger!... to help others get out safely... to help the injured who can't walk or something... to save others lives!... even those they don't know! For no benefit of their own. They don't do it for the media attention or fame... they do it because that is TRUE human nature. Selfless. Kind. Helpful. Thats when all the indoctrination and social conditioning is forgetten in an extreme situation.

People even say after, they didn't think about their own peril of whatever. No, because Human Nature took over. Soldiers in War... Heroes of 9/11... The Tsunami... Earthquakes... all have such stories of Heroes. If Humans really were selfish, there would be none.
    yer ...man being an incredibly social animal.
  • Options
    yer ...man being an incredibly social animal.

Indeed.

Ever notice how people who spend ages alone... often go a little nuts? And have make beleive friends?... we don't really like being alone for extended stretches of time.

Like that film Castaway... and he has the football as a friend... what was its name?
  • Options
    Wilson the volleyball?

I go nuts around people let alone when im alone!
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Wilson the volleyball?

WILSON! Nooooo!

Ta, that was a brill film. Poor Wilson.:(
  • Options
    i reckon those in power love the apthy, as they can seize more executive powers for themselves with less public hassle who obviously stop te government carrying out every pledge, like running hospitals, see "THE COMPASSIONATE SOCIETY" episode of yes minister
  • Options
    yeah gandhi and the huge non-violent marches
    MLK jr and the race rights march on washington and montgomery bus boycott
    Nepalese protestors who recently overthrown their king
    G8 protests in gleneagles and edinburgh, they didnt accomplish everything but without the pressure poverty wouldn't have even been on the agenda!
    poll tax riots in the uk
    theres thousands!