Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Red Eyes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone get really red eyes from hay fever?

I've had really red eye all week but never had hey fever but the doctor prescribed hey fever tablets and eye drops

if so how long do hey take to work - only been 1 day and my eyes are still red

I went to the GP and they didn't have the equipment to check me out so they said go to the local hospital which I di and that's where a doctor prescribe antihismins

One is Chlorphenamine which is same as used in Piriton Allergy Tablets and he just wrote anti histimine eye drops but didn't specify a patricular make so the chemist recommended Otrivine eye drops.

Anyone used these? know how long they take to work, etc?

Comments

• Options
    Think they take at least 3 days to get into your system properly and start to work. Like I said to you yesterday though I have tried all of these pills etc from the doctor and none have worked for me yet. Been up all night with my hayfever, bloody sucks. Mine seems to get worse every year, once I got a big bubble on my eye where it got so infected :/ I still don't understand how they can not make something to cure an allergy to pollen when they can give things out to people who suffer from servere allergies like peanuts, strange
  • Options
    May not be in-depth enough for you, but thought I'd post a link to our hay fever article. Hope you're over it soon :)
  • Options
    I know with my hayfever if its bad I'm better to take a shower whenI get in, washy my eyes get an eye mask and sit with it on it does work. I also find that I'm more tired when hayfever is about. Also none of my bedsheets get dried outside or any of my clothes, especially towels does make a difference.
    I started taking all my medication earlier this year and I have to say its not as bad as it usually is ... touch wood
  • Options
    Are all Hayfever tablets pretty much the same?

Couldn't get my hands on any piriton tablets and instead just bought some Heyfever tablets from Lidl which seems OK although a fraction of the price.
  • Options
    I find Piriton good for my eyes. Not the once a day tablets, but the ones you can take very 4-6 hours. They do bugger all for the sneezing/runny noze/general yucky feeling though.

Used to rub my eyes loads when I was a kid, made them 10 times worse. But I can control myself now. Well, almost. :)

Oh yeah, and one night my eyes got so bad I had to resort to cucumber slices. Worked surprisingly well.
  • Options
    There are several different active ingredients in hayfever medications, however which brand you buy makes no different if its the same chemical.

For example, Clarityn has Loratadine in it, so the boots one a day allergy relief with this in is exactly the same just cheaper.

The same applies to the other types.h
  • Options
    Has anyone ever had the hayfever injection?

I'm thinking of asking my doctor for it as mine is really bad.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Has anyone ever had the hayfever injection?

I'm thinking of asking my doctor for it as mine is really bad.

I've got a funny feeling they stopped giving them out.

I could be wrong though ...
  • Options
    I've got a funny feeling they stopped giving them out.

I could be wrong though ...
    i asked about it last year and my Dr didn't recommend it said it was full of steriods and very bad for you think they have stopped it
  • Options
    Ooo don't steriods make you put on weight?

I'm not doing that.