Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

sun burn

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
is everyone enjoying the brilliant weather? i was until ive returned home today as a lobster ! im in agony ! any one got any advice on how to help the burn and to prevent peeling?

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    There are some creams that can help, I don't know names. But yoghurt helps as well (though no one seems to believe me when I say this).
  • Options
    Put your after sun in the fridge to cool it before you apply it.
  • Options
    Natural yoghurt is really good for sunburn (yes I do believe you Yorghos!). Muller corners are not so good, neither are petit filous!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    yes I do believe you Yorghos!
    Ahh nice. :D:p
  • Options
    Im afraid nothing will stop the skin peeling as it is the natural shedding of the skin cells killed by the burning of the sun... :shocking:
  • Options
    Well no, but the aftersun and yoghurt help to cool the skin and make it a bit less painful.
  • Options
    aftersun = lifesaver in morocco.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Put your after sun in the fridge to cool it before you apply it.

excatly what i was gunna say. there is a really nice after sun, I think it is by banana boat which is a kind of green gel, is really nice cooled in the fridge
  • Options
    The after sun seems like just lotion from looking it up.

I've always had best of luck with aloe vera gel, colorless of course. Theres green too, I bought that once when they had no colorless... it turned the dry peeling skin green :\

If you have an aloe plant, even better. Pure aloe is excelent.

As for peeling, when its not sensitive, and when it starts, gentle exfoleation.
  • Options
    i read in the newspaper the other day that cutting a potato in half and then rubbing it on the burn is the best way to get the red to go down a bit and stop hurting however iv never tried it myself
  • Options
    melanie wrote:
    i read in the newspaper the other day that cutting a potato in half and then rubbing it on the burn is the best way to get the red to go down a bit and stop hurting however iv never tried it myself

ewww then u'd smell of starchy potato ha!
  • Options
    Muller corners are not so good, neither are petit filous!
    :hyper: :thumb:
    i imagine muller rice would be terrible then............
  • Options
    aye i know how u feel. i got sunburn and windburn one day cudnt walk for a week and im stil shedding skin after lik 2weeks of bein burned
  • Options
    well i used as much aftersun that i can find and im blistering ! all over my back ! this is worse than being burnt ! got any tips for blisters? im supposed to be going out to watch the footie tonight but dont fancy having some one wack me on the back or randomly hug me because we won or on the other getting caught up in a brawl becuase we lost lol :nervous:
  • Options
    There is an excellent herbal treatment you can get for burns, its far far better than any after sun. Its called Cumbadorum (though I've spelt that wrong) it almost straight away reduces the pain and heat.
  • Options
    Apart from topical solutions for sunburn, remember that a couple of asprin or paracetamol etc does help to relieve the pain.

Lecture time : Sunburn does irreversible damage to your skin (at best, premature ageing and at worst, terminal skin cancer) so avoid sunburn by wearing sunscreen and build up your duration in the sun. You will still get a tan although it will take longer BUT you will not peel and the tan will last longer as well.
  • Options
    i know but i dont normally burn and its british weather !!!! didnt think this was going to happen ! but i agree with you and ive definatly learnt my lesson !
  • Options
    aftersun = lifesaver in morocco.

Show off :p*is jealous*

Oh dear, blistering is never good! I wouldn't suggest doing anything to them other than keeping them clean and making sure any clothes you put on over them are made from natural fibres (so no footy shirts). Light, loose cotton is perfect.

I never allow myself to burn these days, but in my days of roasting myself on a sheet of tin foil nicely drizzled with sunflower oil I used to swear by the natural yoghurt thing. Bit of a food theme there...

I did get burnt last summer and took a bath immediately after in a LUKE WARM bath with camomile teabags in it. Really soothing, but make sure it's not too hot or too cold as that's unhelpful.