Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Songs and what they remind you of

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Post your songs, and what they remind you of here. For example, Stoned in love reminds me of being on the M74/A74 two lane bit at five in the morning, having had no sleep in 36 hours and already having been driving for 4/5 hours straight, with my girlfriend and mate asleep in the car. One of those times when i think back and smile, and wish i could be there again.

And that I like girls by the Hound dogs reminds me of driving my car for the first time, and absolutely loving the freedom. Driving over the speed limit for only the second time, etc.

Or the Bloodhound gang - The bad touch reminds me of being on the dance mat and drinking stella in my girlfriends room when we had the house to ourselves for the weekend.

I could go on all day. Most songs seem to remind me of car journeys, but thats cus its the only chance i seem to get to listen to music these days.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Don't Turn Around by Ace of Base: being in a car up the lake district as a kid.

River Below by Billy Talent: A girl I liked this year.

Something Pretty by Patrick Park: A girl I like the year before.

This Love by Maroon 5: A girl I liked the year before that.

Intergalactic by The Beastie Boys + Hey Ya by Outcast + about 20 other tunes: Dancing in the student union.

Tricky by Run DMC: My friend breakdancing in my video.

Voodoo Child by Jimi Hendrix: It always sounded familiar. Apparently I listened to it a lot as a baby.

ETA:

How could I forget Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley: The sight of the whole of our all-macho-male household at uni almost crying at the end of the O.C. Season 1.
  • Options
    This love by maroon 5 - haha, that reminds me of 'revising' for my GCSEs.
  • Options
    red hot chili peppers - otherside

reminds me of all my old friends at 6th form, for some reason or other
  • Options
    System F- Out of the Blue - Reminds me of me and my mates in my mate's shed taking e's, drinking buckie, smoking blow and having the time of our lives. Can't beat it.

Mark McCabe-Maniac 2000-being 14, drunk and bouncing away at teenage discos.
  • Options
    up and down - scent = me and my mates last night out all together before everyone went off to uni

pilots + utopia - goldfrapp = remind me of 2 boys in my year at school that died in a car crash 2 years go :( dont know why

you stole the sun from my heart - manic street preachers = class trip to spain in.. 1999... i think!:D

you got the love - the source feat candi station = new years at my friends' house and my friend kim (in general!!)

if you leave me now - chicago = my mum!!

rythm divide - enrique iglesias - family holiday trip to penang. fell in 'love' with a waiter in restaurant acorss from the hotel and i was listening to that song when i saw him!!
  • Options
    ETA:

How could I forget Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley: The sight of the whole of our all-macho-male household at uni almost crying at the end of the O.C. Season 1.

:lol: oh dear.

I have a plethora of "remember that?" songs, but the ones that come to mind at the moment:

It's the ultimate cliche, but Bob Marley's One Love reminds me of schoolday summers and all the old randoms I never see anymore. As does Itchycoo Park by The Small faces, for some reason. Ahhh. I also attach a lot of fond schooly memories to that remake of Perfect Day that was pretty shit even at the time, but looking back it always makes me smile.

CCR - Lookin' Out My Back Door reminds me of renting a car with my ex and two best friends last year and just randomly driving across to Manchester, up through the Lakes and then for a planned "night out" in Glasgee which basically consisted of dancing outside the car in the arse-end of nowhere to the only CD we had after having spent the last of our cash on cheese strings in a petrol station :(

This is a bit embarassing but DJ Otzi/whoever it is - Die Hande Zum Himmel and Eins Kann Mir Keine remind me of crazy times in Hamburg and Karneval in Cologne respectively, dancing around the Rathaus markt/random streets to these [FREE, otherwise I wouldn't be there, reet!] concerts. Haha.

The Specials I Can't Stand It reminds me of the summer my best friend and I fancied two young fellows who had no idea we existed for so long. Then when they did it turned out the former situation was infinitely preferable. That was also the summer said friend screeched To Zion by Lauryn Hill for about three weeks almost constantly.

Republica's Ready to Go, of course reminds me of Sunderland matches. But more memorably the reserve matches me and my schoolmates used to go to on Tuesday nights.

Stevie Wonder - Happy Birthday reminds me of my primary school birthday announcements. Wasn't really in keeping with the theme of the song, but I always thought it was seriously cool that our headmaster was a Stevie fan. I Wish is what I always request in my favourite club in the Toon, the DJ is seriously sick of me at this point but always plays it har har. Another Star is my back up request.

Dress Up In You reminds me of the utterly perfect weekend I shared with someone a wee while ago even if the sentiment is a bit skewed. Bliss. Step Into My Office reminds me of that person, too. I think we've got a bit of a B&S theme :heart:
  • Options
    Oooh, I like these questions. :D

Southside Spinners - Luvstruck reminds me of when my mate learned to drive and he got a proper banger of a Fiesta. We named it Cheryl. :D And we used to nick off college and drive to random places like the park to feed the ducks and eat Twister lollies. He's now joined the Navy and is based down south, I miss him loads. :(

Paul Van Dyk vs Rachael McFarlane - Found A Lover reminds me of when I first started going clubbing... I was 16 and I heard this song and fell in love. It's still my favourite song EVER and I request it in almost every club I go into. Apart from indie clubs where I'd get laughed out. :D

Wet Wet Wet - ANYTHING!! reminds me of primary school and how me and my best mate used to sing anything Wet Wet Wet-related in the playground (especially a bit of Goodnight Girl) ALL the time. She's still one of my best mates now... and we both still love a bit of WWW! Ahh. :D

Train - Drops Of Jupiter reminds me of the summer I left high school... one of the best summers ever. Me and one of my best pals went to Spain for a week then Scarborough for a week - this was our mini-anthem!

The Kooks - Naive reminds me of my current fella... whenever I hear it it makes me smile and think of all the mad stuff we do and say.

There's loads more I guess... but I don't want to go on and on and on... :D
  • Options
    Snow Patrol - You're All I Have Reminds me of Radio 1's Big Weekend, seeing them live, and being fucking happy as larry.

We Are Scientists - Hoppipolla Their cover reminds me of drinking in the park and being generally happy in le summer. :)

All I can think of the now, shall edit it later, innit.
  • Options
    Rocketman by Elton John always reminds me of me dad so it's a bit sad to listen to.

No Tomorrow by Orson reminds me of mad nights out at the local dive.

Thats Amore- Dean Martin reminds me of my mum jigging about in the kitchen and cooking bruschetta.

The Irish Rover reminds me of sitting on the pub as a young un.

Cool by Gwen Stefanni usually reminds me of being cut up about various exes.

Do What it Do by Jamie Foxx reminds me of guffawing with Mo and telling him to take his fricking clothes off.

Sadie by Joanna Newsom ALWAYS manages to cheer me up soooo it reminds me of smiling again.
  • Options
    The Kooks - Naive reminds me of my current fella... whenever I hear it it makes me smile and think of all the mad stuff we do and say.
    Not a comment on his personality, I hope?
  • Options
    Not a comment on his personality, I hope?

Nah, he's definitely not naive! We just both love the song loads and now everytime I hear it it makes me think of him. We always sing it and stuff. Gay, I know... ;) He's in the army so I don't see him as much as I'd like - I havent seen him for 3 weeks and it's going to be another 3 weeks before he's home... but enough of that boring banter!