Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Rubbish bag tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The front page of The Times mentions the proposed introduction of a rubbish bag tax as an method of encouraging people to recycle.
Basically, households would be charged according to the mass of domestic waste they throw out (approx 25p-50p per kilo).

I think this is a good idea, in theory, for encouraging recycling.

How could the problem of people dumping their garbage bags in front of other people's houses be overcome?

Opinions, anyone?

Comments

• Options
    As usual, it's one of those stupid proposals that sounds good on paper, but completely different in practice. I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it, if recycling facilities were good enough, but as it is, plenty of places still rely on having to drive their rubbish to the recycling centre if they want to recycle. And what about if you make a mistake? Are we going to start giving out £50 fines if someone accidentally puts a piece of paper in with the tins? As usual, it'll end up as an extra tax against the poorest members of society.

Encouragement should be encouraged, but as usual, the first thing they think of is a way of getting more money. Give people the opportunity to recycle. Gradually increase collections of pre-sorted rubbish and reduce collections of black bag rubbish. Those who don't sort their rubbish will have to put up with it piling up more (which hopefully will be enough incentive).
  • Options
    I am all for improving recycling and this seems like a goodish method...i guess.

But what about exceptions for the elderly who can do no more then simply put it in a bin or dont grasp the concept of recylcing. I mean my grandmother is 97 and a bit scenile now and she wouldnt even know what recylcing is, let alone been physically capable of doing much about it.

What p*sses me off is how impossible it is been made for butchers and any business that sells food product to dump its waste. They are actually proposing laws meaning only special licensed waste companies can despose of their rubbish, the same one who clean up crime scenes with lots of blood. The cost is extra-ordinary to use them too.

Sorry for the little rant....back to recycling.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    One thing the USA has done right environmentally - At least, the part I visited - Compulsory Recylcing. Put your cans and plastic bottles out seperatley to the rubbish. If not, get fined.

Top idea. This British idea though - stupid. As per usual.
  • Options
    Suits me.

We have Wheelie Bins around here!

Out of interest though, I already pay tax to have my refuse collected. It's called Council Tax...
  • Options
    Dunno how it'll affect businesses, but yeah... People should recycle.
  • Options
    Good idea in principle, but it depends on what the facilities are like in the area. I'd kick up a big fuss if they tried to charge me for using the bin instead of recycling, considering that last time I dared to put a cardboard cereal box out for recycling I got an earful from the man collecting it because they don't take cardboard around here. And not having a car, its not exactly easy to get it to the proper facility, either.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    I
    What p*sses me off is how impossible it is been made for butchers and any business that sells food product to dump its waste. They are actually proposing laws meaning only special licensed waste companies can despose of their rubbish, the same one who clean up crime scenes with lots of blood. The cost is extra-ordinary to use them too.

all businesess must pay private contractors for rubbish rmoval.
    it is now very expensive to dispose of rubbish even for the contractor.
    you have misunderstood something ...i can assure you that fornsic teams won't have to dispose of your foodstuffs waste.
    anyone ...including a butcher ...can apply to the environment agency for a waste carriers/transfer license ...£135 for three years and that covers unlimited vehicles carrying the waste.
    for hazardous waste ...a further £35 registration is needed and then ...one butcher can deal with all the other butchers waste and make a tidy proffit.
    but what waste from a butchrs?
    round here it all goes to pet food manufacture.
  • Options
    I have friends in Canada who have to buy their bin bags from the council for about 50p each, it does work to make people think about what they are throwing away.

BUT - they have good recycling facilities there as well.
  • Options
    It's a very good idea, people's attitudes to throwing things away and recycling are disgusting. Well, apathetic at best.

With regard to dumping bags in front of other people's homes, I noticed in Dublin that they have a big sticker specific to their flat/building/home and stating whether it's commercial or private rubbish (that sounds strange...) so if the bag doesn't have the appropriate sticker it won't be collected. Or something. It'd definitely be a bump in the road, but I'm sure they could get around it somehow.

Germany and Austria (among others) are very good re: glass, cardboard and plastics. A lot (the majority, in fact) of drink bottles have a pfand of about 15-50c which is obviously reimbursed on return of the bottle much like in the old days here. I have seen a few of those about here, but I very much doubt people are actually arsed returning them. They also have various wheelie bins for food/compost-type rubbish, plastics, card etc. Some have these seperate bins just for their household, but often they're shared between a couple. It makes sense, and isn't really a lot of added bother as the recycling is obviously done by someone else, just sorted at home.
  • Options
    all businesess must pay private contractors for rubbish rmoval.
    it is now very expensive to dispose of rubbish even for the contractor.
    you have misunderstood something ...i can assure you that fornsic teams won't have to dispose of your foodstuffs waste.
    anyone ...including a butcher ...can apply to the environment agency for a waste carriers/transfer license ...£135 for three years and that covers unlimited vehicles carrying the waste.
    for hazardous waste ...a further £35 registration is needed and then ...one butcher can deal with all the other butchers waste and make a tidy proffit.
    but what waste from a butchrs?
    round here it all goes to pet food manufacture.

Well at th emoment all market traders waste is dumped by the market disposal group. They incinerate or dump all trade waste there is. Though now Health a Safety have come round and demanded all fish traders and Butchers and other food business dispose of it through specially licensed removal companies. I didnt know you could get it taken away so cheaply though...
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    through specially licensed removal companies. I didnt know you could get it taken away so cheaply though...
    the prices i qouted are to become ...a specialy licensed company or individual.
    the joke in all this tightening up of environmental laws is that anyone can apply ...over the phone or on line ...to the environment agency for these licenses.
    i want to carry waste ...gis a hundred and thirty five quid mate and we'll license you.
    i now want to remove and dispose of asbestos ...gis thirty five quid mate and we'll send you your license.
    it realy is that simple ...no knowledge or training needed.
    bit like dealing with some dodgy geezer down the boozer.
    but anyone can remove that waste for any number of people once that license is obtained ...theres a lot of money being made.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    the prices i qouted are to become ...a specialy licensed company or individual.
    the joke in all this tightening up of environmental laws is that anyone can apply ...over the phone or on line ...to the environment agency for these licenses.
    i want to carry waste ...gis a hundred and thirty five quid mate and we'll license you.
    i now want to remove and dispose of asbestos ...gis thirty five quid mate and we'll send you your license.
    it realy is that simple ...no knowledge or training needed.
    bit like dealing with some dodgy geezer down the boozer.
    but anyone can remove that waste for any number of people once that license is obtained ...theres a lot of money being made.

*Plans to make money*

Ta for that knowledge. :D
  • Options
    We recycle and there is on little problem... They don't actually pick up the recycle stuff or they put it in the normal bin truck instead of the recycle one...

Als the system for recycling in this country is lacking imo...

Just look at the crap bin they provide you with and tose are for metal and glass can only, paper and plastic have to be in plastic bags...

In France we have 2 bins on wheel, one for normal trash, the other one got one container inside it for paper and the rest of the bin is for metal, glass and plastic and this have been like that for now more than 10 years... Also not in all area of France...

In Germany you have to by law and you can get fine if you don't do so...
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    *Plans to make money*

Ta for that knowledge. :D
    if you can get a transit van sized tipper ...you can easily earn a thousand quid a week.
  • Options
    Warning:Rant!

Around here the rubbish situation is getting ridiculous. The council have started refusing to pick up any rubbish bags that don't fit in the wheelie bins. With a collection only once every two weeks this is gonna cause a huge problem, particularly as the summer gets under way. I guess it's a measure to encourage recycling, but we already have a seperate wheelie bin for this, and we use it every week.

The main problem is that the council don't seem to be taking family sizes into account. For a family of two, it's gonna be easy to cut down to just rubbish in the wheelie bin, but for a family of five, like in the house I live, it's almost impossible. Maybe it'd be easier if they collected every week, not every fortnight, but the council don't seem to want to even consider this.

The only way we have found to solve this is to buy (!!!) another bin from the council, which I don't think should be necessary with the amount of council tax we pay.
  • Options
    instead of blaming councils and talking of recycling all the time ...how about you consume less stuff to recycle?
    it's me and you who are filling up the landfill sites.
    for the last couple of years my house has massively cut down in a very public way ...one supermarket manager threatened to bar me!
    i said i would welcome it and hooped he would welcome the publicity.
    my wife gets to embarresed so doesn't come with me.
    i open plastic bags of spuds and tip the spuds into MY veg bag ...on top go the cabbages and carrots etc that have been liberated from their poisonous plastic packaging.
    we no longer use carrier bags ...the supermarket get left with the rubbish.
    i will be purchasing a new telly in the next couple of weeks ...i'll pay cash and collect it myself there and then ...and leave all the cardboard and polystyrene behind ...in the middle of the shop.
    friends are starting to do the same.
  • Options
    Now you may call me skeptical (mainly because I am :D ) but this "scheme" strikes me as nothing more than a calculated stab at the wallets of the naive. They’ve just picked a current topic and then found a way to generate revenue from it. Funny how rather than offering incentives for people to recycle, they’ve opted for monetary punishments instead.

Also, council tax anyone? My council tax doesn't appear to have a roof; it just keeps going up and up. I’m not sure what they’re spending all the extra money on though, the bin men round here are on strike every other week.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    There should be something devised that reminds people to recycle every time they go to throw thier rubbish away. Laziness is what stops most people.
    no ...there should be less and less stuff to recycle.
    the burden should be placed on manufacturers distributers etc.
    then ...with a little common sense ...people can be persuaded to buy a a couple of shopping bags instead of using twenty plastic ones a week?
  • Options
    remove the amount coumcil tax funds rubbish collection to one rubbish bag per household.... then make it up through this method, will cut council tax and increase recycling and reusing(which is often forgotten)
  • Options
    Reduce
    Reuse
    Recycle

:thumb:

Not rocket science is it.