Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Contraceptive injection and issues

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, well I'm sixteen and basically i'm on the contraceptive injection so that I won't get pregnant and ruin my education. Firstly, is it normal for my periods to have completely disappeared? (and I'm not pregnant) Secondly, I've heard that if the longer you stay on it, the harder it will be and longer it will take to get pregnant afterwards, i had intended to stay on it for about 9 - 10 years, i worry about ruining my chances of a career by getting pregnant. Is there a chance of me becoming infertile with this for 9-10 years? and would it be bad not to have a period for the next 9 years or so?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Iain's gf wrote:
    Hi, well I'm sixteen and basically i'm on the contraceptive injection so that I won't get pregnant and ruin my education. Firstly, is it normal for my periods to have completely disappeared? (and I'm not pregnant) Secondly, I've heard that if the longer you stay on it, the harder it will be and longer it will take to get pregnant afterwards, i had intended to stay on it for about 9 - 10 years, i worry about ruining my chances of a career by getting pregnant. Is there a chance of me becoming infertile with this for 9-10 years? and would it be bad not to have a period for the next 9 years or so?

Thanks

I dunno if i am correct here but i remember a friend saying that you don't have perioids whilst on the injection. And also that it isn't advised to stay on it for the amount of time you are thinking of, i think it's recomended for maybe 2 years or something.

Has your doctor not told you anything when you went to have it done?

Maybe this will be helpful http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/sex_relationships/facts/contraceptiveinjection.htm