Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

sore back

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
yesterday i noticed that to the right at the bottom of my back, is very painful and today it's worse. I'm guessing it's a muscle strain as its incredibly painful to sit up in certain ways and the only way i can be comfortable is to lay on my back.
Has anyone got any suggestions to help with the pain?

Comments

• Options
    try some deep heat muscle spray stuff.
  • Options
    A massage or one of those microwave heat packs. The kind that smell like oatmeal and rice, but oh they are good. :heart:
  • Options
    You are quite young to have back pain- as always, check with your doc... there are a couple of 'danger' signs with back pain like loss of bladder/bowel control, weight loss and some others, not that it sounds like you have them...

The usual back advice is to keep moving and do gentle exercise and stretching rather than bed rest. There are lots f causes of back pain and many people don't actually end up with a diagnosis, but as long as the treatment works eh.

It might be the piriformis muscle... Is it a one sided pain? Do you also have a tight calf muscle on that side. Is your buttock tender? Any tingling or shooting pains in legs or feet? I've had mad probs with my piriformis, put me out of action for a while in complete agony. When mine first came on the pain was acute and was in my lower back, 18months on I have no back pain but still troubled with buttock pain, muscle twinges, sciatic pain, tight calf muscle etc. If it is piriformis syndrome, there are a few stretches that really help- google. You know 'frogs legs' stretch, they're a bit like that BUT the miracle cure that got me up walking and *woohoo* dancing again was the 'tennis ball' trick. Piriformis is sometimes misdiagnosed as a disk problem, particularly when in it's most painful stage the pain is felt in the lower back.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    You are quite young to have back pain- as always, check with your doc... there are a couple of 'danger' signs with back pain like loss of bladder/bowel control, weight loss and some others, not that it sounds like you have them...

The usual back advice is to keep moving and do gentle exercise and stretching rather than bed rest. There are lots f causes of back pain and many people don't actually end up with a diagnosis, but as long as the treatment works eh.

It might be the piriformis muscle... Is it a one sided pain? Do you also have a tight calf muscle on that side. Is your buttock tender? Any tingling or shooting pains in legs or feet? I've had mad probs with my piriformis, put me out of action for a while in complete agony. When mine first came on the pain was acute and was in my lower back, 18months on I have no back pain but still troubled with buttock pain, muscle twinges, sciatic pain, tight calf muscle etc. If it is piriformis syndrome, there are a few stretches that really help- google. You know 'frogs legs' stretch, they're a bit like that BUT the miracle cure that got me up walking and *woohoo* dancing again was the 'tennis ball' trick. Piriformis is sometimes misdiagnosed as a disk problem, particularly when in it's most painful stage the pain is felt in the lower back.
    yeah its a one sided pain, i dunno if i've over done it at dancing or something but nothing else seems out of the ordinary
    the frogs legs stretch is what we use in ballet for turnout :p
    if it doesn't start improving i'll see a doc
  • Options
    Do you actually have somethng there, or is it just sore?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Do you actually have somethng there, or is it just sore?
    no my back looks totally normal
  • Options
    If its right at the bottom of your back/top of your bottom you should see a doctor as it could be unrelated to your back and a pilonidal sinus.

I had one last week that i thought was a sore coccyx.
  • Options
    ibuprofen is best for muscle related pain. They do a cream/gel thingy which i found worked really well when i pulled a muscle in my back through dancing
  • Options
    If its right at the bottom of your back/top of your bottom you should see a doctor as it could be unrelated to your back and a pilonidal sinus.

I had one last week that i thought was a sore coccyx.
    its about level with my hip bone, i've asked my mum to take me to the docs tomorrow but she thinks i've just pulled it
  • Options
    Probably best that way, in my currently more lucid state being a little less out of it on painkillers than I was last night I will now add that if it is what I had then the pain is very localised, ie if you poke it it hurts, if you poke a bit further away then that bit doesn't hurt.

The bit that rang a bell was sitting dowm (or not).
  • Options
    well its not as bad today, its never hurt when i've poked it or anything
    i could actually bend over the sink this morning!
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    well its not as bad today, its never hurt when i've poked it or anything
    i could actually bend over the sink this morning!

You probably slept funny or something then.
  • Options
    if its getting better by itself then you prob did pull something. Thing i had def did not get better by itself!