Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Brasize measuring

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does anybody know which is the best place to go to have this done - all you ever seem to hear is that most seem to fit you wrong, and no im not going to be able to afford or get to rigby and peller?
would something like la senza or m&s be best or maybe an independent lingerie shop?

Comments

• Options
    In my opinion, La Senza are the best.

Marks and Sparks and Contessa are shit in my opinion, they measured me up wrong. La Senza have always found the perfect bra size for me.
  • Options
    Where do you live?

Sadie the Bra Lady rules, but you may not be one of the privileged few who live in her jurisdiction ;)

Debenhams are decent, as are M&S as far as I've heard. But everyone has different experiences, and obviously the quality of service can vary from fitter to fitter.
  • Options
    Also, tell the fitter that you want to try them on but buy next week- so that you don't feel pressured into choosing anything they pick for you. You can then go back later and try the same bras they picked out on your own, perhaps trying on the size above and below too because you know what's comfortable most. Your fit might also be different at various times of the month. You want the band around the back to be tight enough to stay horizontal all the way around, without digging in. There should be no gap between the front between breast section and your ribs. The cups should be flat against your breast from strap to between breast section without crinckles (too big) or cutting in (too small). You should be able to adjust the straps to get a good fit in the cups without the band around the back moving from its horizontal position. It is a good idea to take a couple of tops with you so that you can see whether the bra shows over the cleavage of the cut, through the material, or the band shows by creating ripples by digging in and whether it's flattering. I find there's a particular shape of bra (balconette with a higher cup) that fits me best and others that don't fit (teeshirt bra) regardless of how many sizes I try...
  • Options
    i've only been done once, went to la senza. it was shite. she was like oh you're a size such and such but i clearly couldn't breathe in it.

my sister works at la senza now so i could get her to have a go but i tend to just go with what fits best 'cause different places vary anyway.
  • Options
    I give up with different peoples definitions of what size i am.

It ranges from a 36a to a 34d, both which are an outrageous amount of not my size!

I just went into primark one day, picked loads of sizes, tried them all on and picked the comfiest which stayed in the right places and gave a good shape.
  • Options
    Debenhams should be good. Marks and Sparks are notoriously shit for bra-fitting.
  • Options
    La senza was good for me. Also the size she measured around me was way too lose so she just got me the one down and gave me various cup sizes to try until i found the right one.
  • Options
    i was measured at debenhams
  • Options
    I would recommend House of Frasier for honesty (i.e. they told me my size and then said they only stock old lady bras in that size, go to Selfridges instead!). If you are above a D-cup then Bravissimo are excellent although there are only about half a dozen stores in the country.
  • Options
    La Senza are the best, totally make you feel comfortable too.

Marks and Sparks are crap, one time they told me I was a 38C the next they said I was a 32B. Im actually a 36E/F so how can they cock up so badly? And all there bras suck too
  • Options
    Debenhams :yes:.
  • Options
    Me and my friend went on a bra measuring mission a while ago, we found Debenhams to be the best and La Senza to be the worst. The girl who measured my friend in La Senza measured her to be something ridiculous and then said "and Im sorry but we dont even sell bras that big in here".

Marks n Sparks has bad memories for me cos I went there when I was 12 for my first bra and the woman measured me and then said I didnt have enough for one yet! She did make me try on a padded number though that made me look like a mini Dolly Parton :yeees:
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I've taken everything you've said into account.
    It just seems ridiculous that there is so much variation of quality.
  • Options
    M&S measured me correctly, and even offered to order bras in to fit me cos im a bit awkaward. however, when i been to smaller places, eg lasenza, they measured me and said you can wear either- gave me a choice, one of which included a size they stocked so thought that was a bit cheeky lol when i finally found my actual size it was so different to theirs i couldnt believe it raaaaaaa

So i think Debs M&S BHS or W&G or somewhere good liek that is ya best bet!

Bravissimo!! LEGENDS!!!!! if there is one near you USE IT lol and if there isnt order online or by catalogue. u can try things on n send em bk til u find best fit, they r FAB!!
  • Options
    lexijb wrote:
    M&S measured me correctly, and even offered to order bras in to fit me cos im a bit awkaward. however, when i been to smaller places, eg lasenza, they measured me and said you can wear either- gave me a choice, one of which included a size they stocked so thought that was a bit cheeky lol when i finally found my actual size it was so different to theirs i couldnt believe it raaaaaaa

So i think Debs M&S BHS or W&G or somewhere good liek that is ya best bet!

Bravissimo!! LEGENDS!!!!! if there is one near you USE IT lol and if there isnt order online or by catalogue. u can try things on n send em bk til u find best fit, they r FAB!!
    LaSenza were like this with me last week, telling me that I'm a size they stock when it really didn't fit!

I agree with you about Bravissimo, they are excellent.
  • Options
    I always get incredulous and/or disgusted looks whenever I try to get measured for a bra.

Sorry, ladies, I'll get out of here...
  • Options
    whenever i try to get measured professionally, they always try to make me go up a cup size or two and down a bra size, and yeah, they fit, but i find them so uncomfy and can't buy the bastard things anywhere, so tend to just ignore them and do my own thing these days :thumb:
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    M&S are shit though, according to them I don't have enough boobs to be even wearing a bra :yeees: does wonders for the confidence
    They told me that when I was 12! Except that I did have enough cos I got one that fitted perfectly in another shop.
  • Options
    I usually get measured at M&S because it's convenient. "You're a 32B", "but this one is too tight" "oh, well you always need to go up a cupsize with pushups" :rolleyes:

I order a size smaller from La Senza, Tesco bras seem pretty much spot on, and I can't remember the last time I bought undies from anywhere other than the 3 i've mentioned. If you're doing mail order, measure yourself and most companies have a size guide.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    I was some what older than 12 :crying:
    :crying:
  • Options
    sorry to hijack this thread but on the topic of underwear. Where can I buy cheap but decent underwear (briefs/knickers/thongs etc) on the net? I am on a budget and £12 a go seems a lot for everyday stuff.
  • Options
    T shirt bra's in asda = £4 :thumb:

I don't own a single bra that fit's my boobs perfectley, i don't think such a thing exists. poop.
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    T shirt bra's in asda = £4 :thumb:

I don't own a single bra that fit's my boobs perfectley, i don't think such a thing exists. poop.

ditto, either that or i just have funny shaped boobies

does anyone know how far the wire is supposed to go into the armpit? like how far round the breast. mine feel comfortable but i sometimes wonder if my wirey bit is too big, yet a smaller cup size wont fit nor a smaller band size, therefore im stuck with this really
  • Options
    Bravissimo are fantastic for measuring if you're on the larger side. I've gone off their underwear (not least cos I've shrunk and can afford it a fair bit cheaper now!) but when I got measured there, it really felt like they knew what they were doing. I've been measured before and it's obvious they've just been trained to measure and match up with a chart. At Bravissimo they properly check the fit in the cup, round the band, everything - I don't think they used a tape measure at all, just asked what I was wearing at the moment, checked out the fit then worked from there.