Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What makes you enjoy filling out a Questionnaire??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, this is in preparation for collecting the data for my dissertation next year, so ive put it in student also, but i wanted some more general answers, so put it here too. Hope that's ok!

so, anyways, what id like to know is: What makes a good/bad questionnaire??. Things that annoy you, and things you like - whether its good/bad designs of how you have to answer a question, to too many/too few questions.
Please just give me as much information as possible, even examples would be good, but i get alot of marks for how i collect my data, so i want lots of people to be willing to respond.
Thanks
xxx

Comments

• Options
    I do not like giving out our household income, although most have a "won't answer" option now but i think it's rude to ask.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It's probably just me, but I'm annoyed when I see things like

#)People would be better with a 3rd arm; do you agree? (circle an answer)
    I agree strongly | I agree | I don't care either way | I disagree | I disagree strongly

I always have trouble with choosing between (dis)agree and (dis)agree strongly. 3 options should be enough.

Or things like

#)How much do you like pizza? (0=not at all, 10=you love it)
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Again, there are too many options. How am I supposed to rate my liking for pizza?
  • Options
    I hate number rating ones. Much like what Indrid said, but in numbers.

And I hate long ones. I usually give up after about 5 questions. So 5 questions is the max.
  • Options
    brilliant people, keep it coming.
    when its a specific questionnaire, how do you feel about those boxes you get on some questionnaires, where ppl can write their own comments relating to the nature of the questionnaire? does anyone bother with them?
  • Options
    when you are given a list of options and you have to say tick 1 but none of them match what you think. needs a 'other' box! but then that depends whether you're doing qualitative or quantitative research.
  • Options
    oh my god, those words scare me! i dont understand all this qualative and quantative research stuff? wots the diffference in a quick simple way?
  • Options
    Some questionnaires are awful - I hate the ones with numbers and the ones which have too many options...
  • Options
    qualative = quality

vs

quantative = quantitiy

Maybe.
  • Options
    For me, I like a good questionaire when I know that, on completion, I will be entered into a draw for a 20 pounds marks & spencer voucher, or a carriage clock.
  • Options
    Qualitative - words.

Quantitative - numbers.

don't think i can put i any simpler..
  • Options
    cheers kazoo! id probably like to use numbers, as id imagine i could do charts, graphs, etc, more easily than analysing words!
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    qualative = quality

vs

quantative = quantitiy

Maybe.

nope.

as someone else said..

qualitative is research using words. so..interviews, open ended questions.

quantiative is numerical research where you put the data into graph form etc.
  • Options
    cheers kazoo! id probably like to use numbers, as id imagine i could do charts, graphs, etc, more easily than analysing words!

it depends which is most suitable for your research aswell. what are you researching?
  • Options
    I prefer tick box questions that don't require me to think too much, so that I can answer them quickly. Nothing where the box is 'other' and requires me to write stuff.
  • Options
    I prefer tick box questions that don't require me to think too much, so that I can answer them quickly. Nothing where the box is 'other' and requires me to write stuff.

Same here. However, it can sometimes be better to write stuff down, just so that someone can get their opinion across.
  • Options

I agree. Questions with specific alternatives are easier to complete and it all happens a lot smoother. Questions which require you to write entire sentences, including unspecific (cr?) questions, makes me just want to ignore it.

For example, questions like: "What do you think could improve the IUP?" make me go mad. I never answer those questions, unless it serves a purpose to actually answer it. It means you're not sure whether you haven't answered the question fully, and you're always sitting there trying to come up with more answers - majority of the times, to no avail.
  • Options

That would make a very bad questionaire. :p
  • Options
    Good questionnaire, bad questionnaire as long as I don't have to fill it in I'm not bothered.
  • Options
    Cazzoo wrote:
    Qualitative - words.

Quantitative - numbers.

don't think i can put i any simpler..

I suck. Your so smart, thank you.
  • Options
    short easy to understand questions. Enough options including a 'other' or 'dont know'. Dont use too many options for answers or it will drive people mad. Dont do one on year 8 and 10 (Which is what I did for my own socilology A level project :grump: )

Make the questions short and sweet and get them to explain something further in another question. You will end uo redrafting it about 5 times before its finished, and dont forget to do a small test sample (about 5 people you know who will be very very honest about it is good)
  • Options
    brilliant people, keep it coming.
    when its a specific questionnaire, how do you feel about those boxes you get on some questionnaires, where ppl can write their own comments relating to the nature of the questionnaire? does anyone bother with them?

In my experience, nobody really cares when people write comments. I've put together spreadsheets for tons of questionaires and surveys with the instructions to do just the questions. Don't do anything with any of the comments. And since I'm the only one to see and read the surveys, the people who wrote comments pretty much just wasted their time.