Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Chapped lips

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Alright, so it's not exactly life threatening, but I'd still like to get rid. It's been a couple of months now and my lips still aren't back to normal. Lip balm doesn't seem to do much at all, so any ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Vaseline, smear it on.
  • Options
    Oh the best thing in the world... Sally Hansen's chapped lip repair. I have nasty chapped lips all the time and its the only thing I've found to fix it.

Though if you have masculinity issues, then maybe not ;)

My dad likes "chapstick" a nice manly lip balm.
  • Options
    I'm with the Vaseline vote, comes in handy little pots, lather it on, ok I know it doesn't lather but you know what I mean.
  • Options
    blistex lip relief (in the tube), or carmex
  • Options
    Grab a baby toothbrush from the local chemists and dry brush your lips - it'll take off all the dead skin and leave you with smooth lips - now all you do is smear on your favourite lip balm and leave to soak in. I use Nivea Lipcare Essential and Blistex.
  • Options
    on the toothbrush theme, what i do is give my lips a (gentle!) brush every morning when i'm brushing my teeth. works a treat.
  • Options
    Grab a baby toothbrush from the local chemists and dry brush your lips - it'll take off all the dead skin and leave you with smooth lips - now all you do is smear on your favourite lip balm and leave to soak in. I use Nivea Lipcare Essential and Blistex.

I fully agree with this one! I get chapped lips quite badly, especially during the winter and this is what I do. Works a miracle!!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Alright, so it's not exactly life threatening, but I'd still like to get rid. It's been a couple of months now and my lips still aren't back to normal. Lip balm doesn't seem to do much at all, so any ideas?

Cheers

Obviously I've got no idea how severely chapped your lips are, but when I was younger I used to get really chapped lips and lip balm was never going to soothe them because it was actually a fungal infection (I know not nice). A trip to my GP and a prescription for a special cream meant that my lips were completely back to normal within a week. If some of the other (pretty good) suggestions don't seem to make a difference it might just be worth taking a trip to see your GP. Also check out TheSite's article on sore lips here

Hope you get them sorted soon ;)
  • Options
    Wisecrack wrote:
    blistex lip relief (in the tube), or carmex
    :yes: Blistex lip relief is good
  • Options
    Hey folks, jus thought I'd bump this.

I've actually needed a daily application of Vaseline or a lip balm since I was 15. I'm now 26. I'd suffered on and off with it since I was 10, but it would go away entirely for a while, before comming back again. I think the worse case was when I was about 13. My lips became so chapped that I ended up with a thick, red ring around my lips. It made me look like a clown. It was agony. Weirdly, in school, which wasn't short of dickheads, not a single person mocked me for it. They must've thought I was dying of something. Anyway, my mum said that if it didn' improve, she'd take me the doctors', but it cleared up not long after she said that.

Anyway, since about 15, it's never gone away. It's fluctuated in severity, but it's never gone away entirely. Interestingly, my bottom lip is the one that suffers worse, which is the opposite case to the early years, when it was mostly my top lip. It's not been as bad in recent years than it was around age 15-21, but I'm still applying it several times a day. If I don't, they get very dry and feel all scaly and uncomfortable. There's a permanent pink like below my bottom lip. It's only noticable if you look close up, but it's there and has been permanently since I was around 15.

A few years ago, I went to see a doctor about it. She told me it wasn't a medical condition. I just left it. When I tell people this, they say that it seems I was fobbed off. Chapped lips not being a medical condition doesn't make much sense to me though.

I once went to a doctor, a few years ago
  • Options
    Hey folks, jus thought I'd bump this.

A 'bump'? This is practically raising the dead! :p;)
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    A 'bump'? This is practically raising the dead! :p;)

Well, yeah. I thought I'd look in the search engine, rather than create a new thread about it.

If anyone knows of a miracle cure though, please share.
  • Options
    Well, yeah. I thought I'd look in the search engine, rather than create a new thread about it.

If anyone knows of a miracle cure though, please share.

Keep away from any kind of lip balm with petroleum. It just makes your lips thirsty for more and dries them out. So get rid of yer Carmex and go look for something natural - ie lavender oil based.
  • Options
    I would suggest not using anything for a week or so and see how you get on. Failing that i would go back to the doctor - try and see anotherone and explain the problem.
  • Options
    Keep away from any kind of lip balm with petroleum. It just makes your lips thirsty for more and dries them out. So get rid of yer Carmex and go look for something natural - ie lavender oil based.

Darn it. I'm using Vaseline Lip Therapy at the moment. Any product suggestions?
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I would suggest not using anything for a week or so and see how you get on. Failing that i would go back to the doctor - try and see anotherone and explain the problem.

I can't hold out for a week. I've went with out for two or three days and it was hell.
  • Options
    Darn it. I'm using Vaseline Lip Therapy at the moment. Any product suggestions?

I bought some from Etsy.com. Honest, homemade, stuff.
  • Options
    This stuff is absolutely amazing;

http://www.pawpawshop.co.uk/?gclid=CKbr3vugqJkCFQ0FZgodBycYpQ

Not cheap but it works better than any lip stuff I have ever tried! Also really good for lots of other skin problems :)
  • Options
    What kind of doctor did you see? If you just saw your GP you should see a dermatologist instead. Do you lick your lips alot?
    If you have only used vaseline lip stuff, perhaps you are allergic to something in it. And I definatly second Dancing Horse and the petroleum, terrible stuff.

As for chapstick this time around I'll go with burts bees w/ pomegranite.
    http://www.myburtsbees.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=burts-bees-pomegran-lip
  • Options
    It was just my GP, yes.

No, I don't lick my lips ever, otherwise, I'd have to re-apply the vaseline. I sometimes use chapsticks too, but it doesn't remove the dependency.

Yeah, I'll check out that site of Dancing Horse's. If that doesn't work, I'll see if I can see someone about it.
  • Options
    just chill
  • Options
    SoxCelts7 wrote: »
    just chill

Yup, that's probably the best way of dealing with chapped lips.
    Why did no one think of that before?