Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

06/06/06

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think today is judgement day.

Either that or..

emoday6mn.jpg

I'm thinking judgement day, anyone been burnt in the fires of hell yet?

Comments

• Options
    :lol::lol:
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    anyone been burnt in the fires of hell yet?

No... but i'm going to go make some toast in a min... and now i'm scared! :nervous:
  • Options
    No no no, 06/06/06 is my BIRTHDAY. Far more important than any apocalypse or emo bashing :yes:
  • Options
    No no no, 06/06/06 is my BIRTHDAY. Far more important than any apocalypse or emo bashing :yes:

So true... :D :thumb:
  • Options
    yeah that movie comes out today as well the Omen!!
  • Options
    i pity the renzo
  • Options

Happy Birthday!
  • Options
    A pinecone fell on my head after my exam does that count.

(I'm not a fecking emo kid!)
  • Options
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/200605...ithparascience

If you're just a bit more cautious on a Friday the 13th, wouldn't fly on 9/11 or could never live in a house numbered 666, you are not alone.

With 06/06/06 looming (June 6, 2006), authorities in some cities are worrying prophecy theorists or hate groups might read something ominous into the date and use it as an excuse to stir tension. Some expectant mothers are making birthing appointments to ensure they avoid the date, according to the Sunday Times in London.

And for others, it is a marketing opportunity. 20th Century Fox's remake of "The Omen" and Ann Coulter's book, "Godless: The Church of Liberalism," will both come out June 6.

The Beast

The number 666 is used to refer to the beast in the Bible's Book of Revelations:

"He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name. This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666."

Among many coincidences that occur with numbers, life itself is based partly on these three: Carbon atoms, key to life as we know it, have six protons, six neutrons, and six electrons in their most common form.

That there is concern over the date at all is a reflection of how popular it's become to search for the hidden meanings in numbers, experts say.

"People have a tendency to latch onto things, like numbers, that help them make sense of the world," said Mario Livio, an astrophysicist and author of "The Equation That Couldn't Be Solved" (Simon & Schuster, 2005).

Troubled times

The perceived importance of numbers becomes especially true during troubled times, when finding wisdom in numbers can be a comfort, says professional numerologist Sonia Ducie. "Humanity and individuals are attracted to numbers during times of great transformation," Ducie said. The Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks are an overwhelming example. Conspiracy theorists in the years since the tragedy have tried hard to thread together "eerie" numerological coincidences, especially those tied to the number eleven. A few of the best known:

9 + 1 + 1 = 11
    The first plane to hit the World Trade Center was American Airlines Flight 11; AA can also be "translated" as the alphabet's version of 11.
    The State of New York was the eleventh state added to the union.
    The names George W. Bush, New York City, Air Force One, Afghanistan and The Pentagon all contain eleven letters.

Despite its modern manifestations, searching for deeper meanings in numbers is a practice that goes back to ancient times, Livio said.

"Numerology has a long history," he told LiveScience. "You can trace it all the way from the followers of Pythagoras, whose maxim to describe the universe was ‘all is number.'" Thinkers who studied under the famous Greek mathematician combined numbers in different ways to explain everything around them, he said.

Para-science

Modern numerology has since morphed into a kind of para-science in the same vein as astrology, according to skeptics. Still, many numerologists claim to rely on Pythagoras' ancient system to divine the hidden connections between numbers—often a birth date—and an individual's life.

Our attraction to certain numbers has to do with the cycles of birth and death those numbers have seen through many millions of years in existence, said Ducie, who trained at the Connaissance School of Numerology in Hertfordshire, England.

"People are subconsciously drawn towards specific numbers because they know that they need the experiences, attributes or lessons, associated with them, that are contained within their potential," she said. "Numerology can ‘make sense' of an individual's life (health, career, relationships, situations and issues) by recognizing which number cycle they are in, and by giving them clarity."

Mathematicians are quick to dismiss numerology as having any scientific merit, however.

"I don't endorse this at all," said Livio, when asked to comment on the popularity of commercial numerology today. Seemingly coincidental connections between numbers will always appear if you look hard enough, he said.

Lucky numbers

When it comes to lucky numbers, at least, Ducie agreed."People can also ‘make' numbers lucky simply by believing they will be lucky when they have those numbers around them; these preconditioned thoughts strongly contribute towards their manifestation of luck," she said.
    The obsession with particular numbers also tend to wax and wane according to the trends of popular culture, Livio noted.

Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" (Doubleday, 2003) has played a part with its showcase of the golden ratio, or divine proportion, which Livio explores in his book "The Golden Ratio" (Broadway, 2003). The very precise number is said to exist mysteriously in various places in nature and be extremely attractive to the human eye. Spin-offs in the worlds of architecture, art and even diet books are a result of the "Code" phenomenon.

Ronald Reagan's 666

The supposed number of the devil falls in and out of favor with the public, too. It is unclear just how influential the number was in the centuries after the Bible became widespread as literature, but it was certainly ingrained in popular culture after the 1976 release of the movie "The Omen", in which the neck of a demon-child is stamped with the digits 666.

When former President Ronald Reagan and his wife Nancy retired to their last home in California thirteen years later, they forced officials to change their address from 666 to 668 St. Cloud Road, Livio said.

No word on whether the former president whose full name is Ronald Wilson Reagan, was bothered by the number of letters in each of his first, middle and last names.
  • Options
    It's all a load of shite. :yes:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Too true....

...hopefully :D
  • Options
    HAPPY SUNNIEST DAY OF THE YEAR, EVERYONE!! YAY!

:cool:
  • Options
    :lol::lol: Emo beatdown day

Though today, I have been at this job for one full year. Longest job by far I've ever had. Now thats scary shit.
  • Options
    Interestingly, today is also the birthday (207th I believe) of Alexander Pushkin, the father of Russian literature. He is revered as god by the Russians who are a very educated and literary people.

Happy Birthday Al!
  • Options
    Big shout out to my sister. Happy Birthday!
  • Options
    i had 2 gcse exams today - does that count?
  • Options
    This thread seems an ideal place to (be really sad) and post my artificially gained temporary post count of 6666. Hooray for sixes!

Thanks Jim :D
  • Options
    This thread seems an ideal place to (be really sad) and post my artificially gained temporary post count of 6666. Hooray for sixes!

Thanks Jim :D

gone already? :confused:
  • Options
    I did say temporary! I screen grabbed it though :D
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    *burp*

Erm, so we didn't all die. fucking disspointed here people! I wanted leigons of hell to destory us all.

******s.

They'd better not just be a day late 'cos they used First Great Eastern busses.
  • Options
    Well technically we were not all suppose to die, today was supposed to be the birth of the antichrist so we will have to wait for him to grow old a bit before the apocalypse come... See there is still hope...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Well technically we were not all suppose to die, today was supposed to be the birth of the antichrist so we will have to wait for him to grow old a bit before the apocalypse come... See there is still hope...

If we wait that fucking long... I'll have taken the world over, and he'll be enslaved by me! heh, I shall ahve a to be evil enough by myself to compensate.

MY leigons shall take over hte world... and dominance shall be ours, for centuries to come!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    If we wait that fucking long... I'll have taken the world over, and he'll be enslaved by me! heh, I shall ahve a to be evil enough by myself to compensate.

MY leigons shall take over hte world... and dominance shall be ours, for centuries to come!

Will see...
  • Options
    Really? So how long does it take for an anit-christ to mature? Is that what yesterday really meant?
  • Options

The antichrist was totally born on 6/25. The antichristmas, exactly opposite. :yes: I swear. (Thats my story and I'm sticking to it ;))

Actually I never knew anything about what you said. THey had on the news a local woman and her baby born on tuesday. Its funny now, after reading that :p
  • Options
    There was something in the paper about a baby boy born yesterday at like 6am and weighed 6lbs 6oz and they called him Damien
  • Options
    Interestingly, today is also the birthday (207th I believe) of Alexander Pushkin, the father of Russian literature. He is revered as god by the Russians who are a very educated and literary people.

Happy Birthday Al!

Was also the Mr.Birthday of one Mr Carl Barat which made it 8756238756278345 times better.. :p
  • Options
    Who?

I googled and found a picture. I'm blind.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Who?

I googled and found a picture. I'm blind.

Blind? Is that a good or a bad thing? :p

He's from this band.
  • Options
    I can't believe you think his birthday is better :( I'm hurt.