Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Brighton TV Reception

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone know what TV reception is like on the beach with a portable TV?

Some friends and I are thinking of going for a picnic on Saturday but some want to watch to the England Match at 2pm on a portable TV if possible fromthe beach front.

Comments

• Options
    i would imagine it would be ok as there are buildings on the beach front and they must watch tv
  • Options
    melanie wrote:
    i would imagine it would be ok as there are buildings on the beach front and they must watch tv

Yeah but a house for example would most likely have a huge Antenna on the roof, we'd only have a little one on a portable.
  • Options
    Brighton!!! I've never tried sitting on the beach there with a portable TV, but it is a nice beach :)
  • Options
    I dont know as I've never tried it but the phone reception at some areas is crap.
  • Options
    The sun is more likely to be a problem. Make sure you have a golf umbrella or something to shade the screen otherwise you won't be able to see a thing.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I would think some of the people watching TV would make for a crap picnic...
  • Options
    just go to one of the pubs and watch it don't go onto west street tho. unless you fancy ducking a few flying bottles.
  • Options
    just go to one of the pubs and watch it don't go onto west street tho. unless you fancy ducking a few flying bottles.
    Yeah, as lover-ly as West Street is, I'd stay clear round the match times lol.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    Yeah, as lover-ly as West Street is, I'd stay clear round the match times lol.

What's all this about West Street?

Is it a bad area or something?
  • Options
    What's all this about West Street?

Is it a bad area or something?
    Not a bad area as such, I've just encountered stuff on a Fri/Sat eve, but it's kinda expected in a way. Me and the boyf were walking up West Street late one Sat nite n encountered the usual rowdy piss heads, mini skirts flying on clubbers etc, not my scene tbh, that's why I now avoid it, it's nice generally though, hotels, restuarants, shops etc :)
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    Not a bad area as such, I've just encountered stuff on a Fri/Sat eve, but it's kinda expected in a way. Me and the boyf were walking up West Street late one Sat nite n encountered the usual rowdy piss heads, mini skirts flying on clubbers etc, not my scene tbh, that's why I now avoid it, it's nice generally though, hotels, restuarants, shops etc :)

no come on it is a shite hole and we all know it lol its the chav central area of brighton and every friday and saturday it is a war zone with at least 5 meatwagons. At the euro championship in 2004 we got locked in Walkabouts by the police because England lost to france in the first game, so some people decided to smash the place up instead. Just avoid the area if possible lol.
  • Options
    LOL. I was trying to sound positive about the area lol. I generally avoid Brighton Central at big games though. (I don't actually live in Brighton ya see, just a bit more West), but go there shit loads, wouldn't want to actually live in Brighton though, the house prices must be through the roof near enough, is a lovely place thou. The gardens ROCK too, especially the one with the fountain in... which I'm dragging the boyf to in the hols :)

Just actually realised how much I've gone off on one lol.
  • Options
    Brighton is generally a nice place, just stay away from west street on a fri/sat night as its drunk chav central. I've seen about 5/6 police vans up there before. The house prices are rather high as well (I used to work for an estate agents, for my sins, so I know what there like!) I wouldnt go walking around certain areas on my own either.
  • Options
    I wouldnt go walking around certain areas on my own either.

That's got me rather paranoid now :crazyeyes
    Any areas in particular?
  • Options
    mouslcoomb whitehawk or kemp town (camp town) also the underwalk by the honey club and the clubs down there is very dodgy.
  • Options
    looooool brighton
  • Options
    mouslcoomb whitehawk or kemp town (camp town) also the underwalk by the honey club and the clubs down there is very dodgy.

Kemp town's not that bad, I'll walk round there on my own, it just backs onto shitehawk, and Queens park road which is quite rough as well in places. I NEVER go down on the underwalk at all during the night, its too dodgy. Hove Park on the other hand is lovely and posh, pity I wont be ever able to afford a place round there.
  • Options
    Oops. The underwalk is on the beach right? If so, whenever I'm down in Brighton- I usually go there :crazyeyes

Never been to Mouslcoomb or Whitehawk.

Kemp town isn't that bad though.
  • Options
    yeah I work up kemp town way ooooooooh errrrrrrrrr.
    we got our own Brighton thread now woohooo, gotta be a brighton meet up now lol.
  • Options
    Brighton meet up sounds good! I'll be there! (Ob depending when it is thou lol)
  • Options
    Brighton meet would be good, dont know how many people would turn up!
  • Options
    we've had a brighton meet before. me, gavman, wyetry and her sexy husband

was pretty fun!

i'd definately come what with me only living 11 miles away
  • Options
    I only live five miles away, yes in chavham-by-sea. :lol: A meet would be great, and a lot lot cheper then going to london!
  • Options
    I'd be there. But I'm reluctant about organising lol. Possibly sometime in August? Or Sept?
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    I'd be there. But I'm reluctant about organising lol. Possibly sometime in August? Or Sept?

sounds good
  • Options
    Wicked :) Should I start a new thread about the Brighton meet?
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    Wicked :) Should I start a new thread about the Brighton meet?

go for it!
  • Options
    I'd come, since I live in Brighton.