Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Blocked Ear :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi. I was wondering, my ear is blocked and it really destressing. Does anyone know how to unblock it? Please help :(

Thanks in advance

Lottie

XX

Comments

• Options
    Whats it blocked with?
    Do you just mean it's full of wax? If so go to the chemist and ask for something to unblock them.
  • Options
    See your GP :rolleyes:
  • Options
    yes blocked with...?

have you been to the doctors, maybe you have an infection?

you could try olive oil. lay down on your side and get someone to pour a small amount of olive oil into your ear canal and lay there for about 5 minutes.
  • Options
    I always get blocked ears with wax but this time it isn't clearing.

Does the olive oil need to be heated?
  • Options
    Don't put hot oil in your ear!
  • Options
    See your GP :rolleyes:
    Why are you rolling your eyes? It's a perfectly reasonable question isn't it?
  • Options
    Erm, to be honest, no. Surely if you have a problem with anything medical you'd see your gp? :chin:
  • Options
    Erm, to be honest, no. Surely if you have a problem with anything medical you'd see your gp? :chin:
    For ear wax? You muppet.
  • Options

yes, of corurse, no one should ask for advise on health related matters on the health boards......

i would go to the chemist and see what they can advise you. You can get ear drops that soften the wax.
    Dont be tempted to try usuing cotton buds, they will just compact the wax and make the situation worse
  • Options
    tbh i wouldn't bother with the expensive ear drops. try the olive oil first and no don't heat it up. :p
  • Options
    tbh i wouldn't bother with the expensive ear drops. try the olive oil first and no don't heat it up. :p
    My practise nurse expressly told me not to use earex and the like, but to use olive oil, 'cos oil softens the wax and so you can have it syringed out but if you use earex it usually does nothing and you can't get the wax syringed because it's still hard and you can damage the drum.
  • Options

No wonder somebody not too long ago wrote on here about waiting years to get into a doctor, its filled with people going in for ear wax. Time wasters :(

And another vote for the oil here :thumb:
  • Options

But there's no point if it's anything which would give a simple answer. Of course, if it's anything serious/painful then yes...
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    how come you advise not to warm it up? I warm to wrist temperature because room temperature *feels* cold... Surely that's not dangerous?