Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

minutes and miles

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Sort of add on to the race for life topic :)

I'm doing two of the 3mile race for lifes soon and it's brought out a right little arguement :D

Basically one of the (know it alls) in the pub has said that if i don't manage to do it in 18 minutes then my fitness is shite yada yada. I tried to say that i thought 6 minute miles were for people in running clubs etc. who were used to running and had high fitness levels. He went on to argue that they should be doing it in 4 or 5. Now surely that's for top level athletes?

Basically i'm trying to give myself a goal timewise but i'd like some sort of help to realistically see what i should aim for. I'm of a pretty good fitness level as used to box quite a bit and i horse ride and walk for about a mile or two every day. I was thinking of aiming for maybe 28 minutes?

I realise it's in the name of cancer research for anyone that says it shouldn't matter but i feel that i should also give it my best shot as well as that's the sort of person i am. :yes:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    When I did the Flora Light Womens Challenge (5km) there were so many people that it was impossible to run as fast as you would normally anyway due to people congestion and bottle necking at certain points of the track. I'm not sure what a good time "should" be like though.
  • Options
    I would say that 25-30mins would be about right for someone who is reasonably active. I think you are right about 18 minutes could be done by someone fit, and 12-15mins for an athlete.

Maybe they are just winding you up saying that you can do it in 18 minutes, or pushing you into trying harder.

Good luck but remember not to push yourself too hard if you aren't used to too much running as you could just injure yourself.
  • Options
    18mins for 3 miles?! Bagsy not, that's stupidly fast, and fit.

give yourself a half hour.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

I wouldn't say that to be honest.

I can walk 3 miles in 30/40 minutes. Saying that though, I walk quite fast compared to most people.
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    I wouldn't say that to be honest.

I can walk 3 miles in 30/40 minutes. Saying that though, I walk quite fast compared to most people.

walking's different to running though isn't it. i could walk for miles and miles but running would be different!
  • Options
    walking's different to running though isn't it. i could walk for miles and miles but running would be different!
    True. Its physically more exhausting but I know that if I was to run those 3 miles, I could do it in 15-20 mins max as I can walk it in 30-40 mins. Although its not the same, I manage to run quite a few miles on a treadmill in a short space of time.
  • Options
    If you have access to a treadmill you should be able to find out how fast you can comfortably do the distance (or half if you're unfit) and that should give you a guide.

Whatever you aim for you're likely to be slightly faster on the day because you'll get swept along in entusiasm. Either that or you'll be slowed down by other people ;)
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    True. Its physically more exhausting but I know that if I was to run those 3 miles, I could do it in 15-20 mins max as I can walk it in 30-40 mins. Although its not the same, I manage to run quite a few miles on a treadmill in a short space of time.

4minute miles were once a world record time

by roger bannister or someone
  • Options
    errrrrr no

those of you who think you can run 3 miles in 15 mins are kidding yourselves

i did my race for life yesterday.....out of 11,000 women i came in 188th, with a time of 29.19 - i do train and have been for about 3 months, but before that was ridiculously unfit and have mild athsma. I regularly run 1.5 miles in 13.16 mins is my pb, so i was aiming for under 35 mins, 30 mins would be amazing for me, and under 30 mins is a respectable time. Even under 40 mins is a respectable time.

the best time yesterday (bearing in mind this is 11, 000 women) was 17 mins something, and my mum (who was at the finish line) said she looked like a proper runner.

If you are mega fit then yeah ok, you can do it in 15 mins, but id try it if i were you then post your time.
  • Options
    I can run 6k in a half hour, which is nearly 3 3/4miles, and I'm really quite fit, I train hard. 3 miles in 18 mins isn't easy.
  • Options
    People talking about doing it in 4 minute miles should probably consider that that would give you a marathon time of just over 1 hour. Admittedly this is a lot less than that distance-wise, but I still reckon you'd need to be pretty darn fit.

My friend at work did race for life last year and came in 31:26. She was aiming for anywhere under 40 mins and had been doing training for quite a few months. She also did a three peaks hill walk this last weekend which was around 26 miles in just under 11 hours, so I reckon she must have reasonable fitness.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    4minute miles were once a world record time

by roger bannister or someone
    I'm not saying I can do it in 4 minutes though am I?

I'm saying I think I could run each mile in 6-7 minutes which to be honest, I think I could. I'm a good runner.
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    True. Its physically more exhausting but I know that if I was to run those 3 miles, I could do it in 15-20 mins max as I can walk it in 30-40 mins.

evidently yes.... (well ok, you said you can do 5 minute miles)
  • Options
    20-25 mins for someone who's reasonably fit.

I can walk 3 miles in 37 mins.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I ran a mile in 39.3 seconds once.

Fact.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

I think i'll aim for around 30 mins after reading what everyone else has said. The bloke who was trying to tell me to do 18 minutes is someone who's quite handy at talking rubbish to be fair. How on earth could you expect to do it in 18 mins without the training is beyond me, even then by the sounds of it you'd struggle.

That reminds me, the race is at loughborough uni, is the campus far from say the swimming baths etc? Was thinking of parking there then jogging down
  • Options
    33 minutes, bout near killed me :yes: Nobody told me half of it was uphill, gah, pass me the oxogen mask please. For the July one i'm definitely spending the next month doing some training, can't cope with being unfit and in pain. :D
  • Options
    Good work kiddo! See if you can't improve your time. Sorry about not noticing this earlier, would have warned you about university hill.
  • Options
    No worries, to be fair the hills weren't too bad to begin with, it was the last one they threw in at the 4km mark that got me :) At least it's motivated me to try and get back into shape anyway. Am pleased that i managed it and raised some money trying as well.
  • Options
    Just try and beat your time. This sort of thing is about people actually doing it and beating targets etc :) .

For the record my Mum did one the other day. She's doing another in a few months and wants to run it all rather than walking bits