Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

MPs and the Maccies World Cup freebies

Anyone who follows football, and I don't follow it that closely, is well-aware of the way the ordinary man on the street is being squeezed out of the game. They are used to the incompetent Football Association dishing out tickets to its cronies in business who sponsor what they laughably call "the beautiful game". Tickets to fans to see the teams they love? To hell with that, there's money to be made!

No one loves freebies and junkets more than our MPs. No one gets more enjoyment out of watching football matches instead of getting on with the jobs they were elected to do. Some MPs have been caught up to their necks accepting freebie tickets. Who paid for them? Yep, that most health-conscious of companies, McDonalds. Satirists everywhere are going to be out of work at this rate.

Reports the BBC: "MPs have defended taking free World Cup tickets from food giant McDonald's. An official tournament sponsor, McDonalds said it had supplied 23 tickets to the MPs and researchers for England's game against Paraguay. The move has sparked criticism from fans' groups, who say ordinary fans have been kept out of the stadium due to a lack of public tickets. However, MPs said while they understood their frustration, it was not up to them who got the tickets." >> Details >>

The satire gets even worse. Not only do we have a parliamentary football club, (what do they do all day?) but one of the members who accepted Maccies hospitality is called John Leech. How very apt. The stupidity of the MPs who accepted these tickets is beyond question. So, why are McDonalds doing this? We already know the answer to this question, don't we?

(as for whether this fits in better here or in the Sports forum, I'm leaving the final decision to the mods)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Who gives a fuck!

This thread made me laugh, you post some funny unintentional shit like.
  • Options
    An MP on the gravy train and trying to justify it?

Whatever next!
  • Options
    so an extra 23 non normal people get tickets to the world cup

how does that reduce my chances of getting a ticket then
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    TWENTY THREE TICKETS? Holy shit, quick, call Private Eye :rolleyes:
  • Options
    who gives a toss, mp's have always picked up freebies, this doesnt surprise me at all. theres probably hundreds of people getting freebies, celebs etc... no difference for me between a celeb getting em and a mp.

and as for the common man being forced out of football, thats utter bollocks. you get all types down the turf here still, family men, single men, old men, kids, young men...its all down to whether you want to or not.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    its all down to whether you want to or not.

That's unfair.

It's not so bad in the lower leagues, but Arsenal's cheapest season ticket is £900. The other top Premiershit teams are no better.

Sponsors are ahead of fans at any top game now, of course they are. They're more profitable. That's why so many Wembley seats are reserved in advance, at £5000 for a season ticket.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    That's unfair.

It's not so bad in the lower leagues, but Arsenal's cheapest season ticket is £900. The other top Premiershit teams are no better.

ok thats fair enough point, maybe that explains why the championship is one of the best supported leagues in the world.

i guess it does vary as to which team you follow, ive always been a believer in supporting the local side either way.

Tickets for a burnley game range from £18 - £23 and some people think thats dear here, but still go on for the love of it.

i'd probably try and go on no matter what the cost, but it guess it does differ slightly.
  • Options
    It's £18 to watch City in division three (OK, league one), and much as I love them, I can't and won't pay that sort of money to watch that sort of football. That'll be why we have crowds of 7,000 now.

It depends how much money you have, as always. If money was no object I'd go every week, home and away, but money is an object. It's why the working class fans are getting driven out of football- how many people on my wage can afford to spend £20 a fortnight, plus beer and chips, watching shite footy? And in football's grand scheme, £20 a fortnight is nowt.
  • Options
    Leeds season tickets are nearly £700 this year.

Fucking rip off...
  • Options
    This at the same time that other MPs are criticising the new Bigger Mac?
  • Options
    I can see it now. The 23 MPs go to these World Cup games, and are offered countless Bigger Macs. How will they get all those calories off afterwards? Maybe they can borrow David Cameron's bicycle.
  • Options
    In Spain and Germany, it's about £15 to watch the very top teams. My home town isn't even in the Conference, and it costs the same amount for an adult and a child to go and watch. When England played Spain in a friendly, it would've actually been cheaper to pay for a flight over there, and for a ticket, than it would to watch England in this country. It's a rip off. Along with the fact that you're no longer allowed to stand because of health and safety, the fact that there's tons of 'fans' who without any passion is ruining the atmosphere. I usually hate Roy Keane, but he was spot on about the prawn-sandwich brigade at Old Trafford.
  • Options
    McDonalds should not be allowed to sponsor events like the World Cup in the first place. It's a disgraceful sell-out.

As for the MPs, well I have to say there's nothing much new about it- though that doesn't make it any nicer. MPs will always use their position for freebies.

I saw the front page of the HateMail on Sunday today. They were raging about it and claiming how they were ''£1,000 tickets''. A slight spin on it, seeing as the actual price is around £30-£40 (or whatever face value it might be) and that the 1k noted is what the Mail claims some touts are asking for tickets.
  • Options
    I don't know - quite like them myself...
  • Options
    Bit of trivia for you all.

Q. Who is the largest distributor of toys in the world?

A. You guessed it... McDonalds.

They are a despicable, dictonary-definition evil company not because of the shite, ultra unhealthy food they distribute, but because their disgusting targetting of children.

That such organisation is allowed to sponsor the World Cup is nothing short of a disgrace.
  • Options
    Under the ministers code they will have to have paid for the tickets wont they? So arent they just like ordinary people who paid to get in?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Under the ministers code they will have to have paid for the tickets wont they? So arent they just like ordinary people who paid to get in?

Only if there Ministers (and if I remember its only over a certain value as well. I thinks its probably arguable that the value is the price on the ticket, not how much a Minister could sell if he was touting outisde the Stadium)

MPs will need to declare, but they don't have to pay back gifts
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Only if there Ministers (and if I remember its only over a certain value as well. I thinks its probably arguable that the value is the price on the ticket, not how much a Minister could sell if he was touting outisde the Stadium)

MPs will need to declare, but they don't have to pay back gifts

Oh well, I cant say out of all the things the governments been doing lately this makes me vaguely irritated let alone angry.