Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Unusual Party / BBQ Ideas

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It's my little sister's 21st birthday in July and she wants a party in the garden with Dad firmly behind the BBQ. She's having about 30 of her uni friends coming from all over the country.

My parents have already splashed out on nice garden furniture (had fun putting up the gazebo in the rain this afternoon! :rolleyes: ) and a massive BBQ. My sis is gay and goes in for a lot of the 'camp' stuff - including twinkling pink lights hanging from the gazebo, etc.

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas / experiences for little extras we can add to the party. It'll start at about 7pm and go on until whenever as they're all staying over (:crazyeyes). We've got a fairly big garden so we might try to find some of those giant outdoor games.

Any ideas for extras or yummy BBQ recipes anyone? :)

Comments

• Options
    Can't beat garden Jenga for games. Careful though, because it really hurts if it lands on your feet.
  • Options
    Do you have a trampoline?

Hehehe. Having lots of drunken people on a trampoline is so much fun! Although I ended up flying off it and landing on a horrible patch of grass...
  • Options
    And oooo, how about a bouncy castle? Who cares if its a 21st? People never grow out of liking one!
  • Options
    YES! Bouncy castles are fantastic.
  • Options
    Hehe, have you ever been to the Charles pub Heather? Its like 2 mins away from Derwent halls?

Hehe, they had a bouncy castle in their beer garden last year. I wasn't allowed on it :(
  • Options
    I went during Fresher's but haven't been back since. Why weren't you allowed in?

On the topic of Hes village, have you ever been to Brown's? Apparently it's really good, I shall be venturing there at some point after my exams.
  • Options
    Browns? Is that the pub 2 mins away from the Charles, just further up the road? If so, yes, yes I have :) I've only been 2 pubs in Heslington though.

My ex wouldn't let me on the bouncy castle :( I just didn't have the guts to say "well I'm going on it anyway". Hmmm.
  • Options
    The other pub is the Derry (Deramore Arms), Brown's is a shop that sells yummy food apparently, like sandwiches and stuff.
  • Options
    Mmmmm, I might have done actually. Can't remember though.

Yeah, it is the Deramore. Haha. I forgot the name. I aint been there since last year!

Hehehe, I love the Charle's food :yum:
  • Options
    Another idea for something a bit unusual at a party is a bucking bronco! We're having one at our summer party this year, should be interesting once the drinks start flowing!
  • Options
    I was gonna suggest a bouncy castle too. It's my current plan for my 21st, just having a big children's party with alcoholic jelly and boozy variations on kid's games and everything. :D
  • Options
    Alcoholic Jelly :heart:

Hehe, me and my flat mates always make tonnes of this stuff for birthdays :D
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Alcoholic Jelly :heart:

Hehe, me and my flat mates always make tonnes of this stuff for birthdays :D

We did orange jelly and Archer's once, which was way better than vodka. We were gonna experiment with making it up with a bit of lemonade as well to make it fizzy, but we got carried away with the booze and forgot. :(
  • Options
    Oh, any chance you could pass on the 'recipe' for the orange and Archers one, Laura? :)
  • Options
    We just did it the same as you would vodka jelly. Melt the orange jelly cubes in half a pint of hot water (or whatever it says) then where you're meant to make it up to a pint with cold water, you make it up with half Archers and half cold water, or whatever strength you want it. I think we maybe topped it up with more Archers than water. If you wanted lemonade as well then you'd just chuck some of that in as well (so long as you don't go over a pint or whatever it tells you), but like I say we never got that far so I dunno if it works or not.

Does that make any sense? Heh. Just follow the instructions but whack some Archers in with it is the general gist.
  • Options
    Bananas with cointreau dribbled on and then individually wrapped in tin foil and baked on the bbq are lush, then you put loads of whipped cream over them. Yum :yum:
  • Options
    bouncy castles + drunk people + party food = puke.

tread carefully.
  • Options
    It's my little sister's 21st birthday in July and she wants a party in the garden with Dad firmly behind the BBQ. She's having about 30 of her uni friends coming from all over the country.

My parents have already splashed out on nice garden furniture (had fun putting up the gazebo in the rain this afternoon! :rolleyes: ) and a massive BBQ. My sis is gay and goes in for a lot of the 'camp' stuff - including twinkling pink lights hanging from the gazebo, etc.

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas / experiences for little extras we can add to the party. It'll start at about 7pm and go on until whenever as they're all staying over (:crazyeyes). We've got a fairly big garden so we might try to find some of those giant outdoor games.

Any ideas for extras or yummy BBQ recipes anyone? :)

You've got room for 30 people to sleep over? Otherwise I'd put up tents in the garden and you can all sleep under the stars.
  • Options
    twister! a paddling pool!

you're in lincolnshire, can i come?! :D
  • Options
    A paddling pool with all the cans / bottles of beer will make it easier instead of people trecking in and out the house.

just fill it with those big bags of ice you get from iceland or tesco or somewere you have to put a bit of water in tho or else your beer wont get that cold
  • Options
    melanie wrote:
    A paddling pool with all the cans / bottles of beer will make it easier instead of people trecking in and out the house.
    i meant for playing in - shows my maturity! :D

but that's a good idea too.
  • Options
    i know, once the beers gone.....

maybe they could have 2 paddling pools,

swingball is what you realy need, and a bouncy castle, twister, and those races where you have to spin for a min and then run a race.

just keep the buckets handy lol
  • Options
    get some fireworks for the evening, if your drunk, you'll aprreciate them alot more.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the ideas! :D

The fireworks are sadly a no go - the poor dog will be scared witless! :(
  • Options
    aww :grump: