Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Can this seriously work?

I've decided to thread this, I just don't know what else I can do about it. This concerns me and a potential girlfriend. As you might know, I went back for a second season at Haven back in April. It's been okay so far. I've met someone absolutely amazing, who I shall call "R" for the sakes of this. Things have gone along quite swimmingly. There's definitely a good chemistry between us, and we're enjoying each other's company. I've got feelings for her already, and I get the idea it's mutual, though she hasn't explicity said it in those words.

A few weeks ago, we went out to dinner together, and it was huge fun. But the next day, she turned round and said she didn't want us to do this again. I was bemused, and rather upset. I admit I cried about it afterwards. A few days later, she came back to me and apologised for it, saying she just got nervous. She also told me about her first boyfriend. (she finished with him about 18 months ago) She left him because he was prone to violent outbursts. By that, I don't mean on her. He generally had a problem with his temper, and she was pretty intimidated in his company, so she got out of that one as soon as she could. Thing is, it's left her feeling scarred, and nervous about men.

She's started hugging me and talking about more private stuff now, basically starting to trust me more. She wants "us to be careful, to take things at a slow pace", in her words. Which is where the problem lies. As she knows, I'm off to university in Bristol in just over three months. She'll also be going back home in October, due to end of season. And I don't know what to do. Do I try and pursue a relationship with her, knowing how much time we have is limited? The idea of a long-distance relationship is one I'm very uneasy about. Or do I just let this be? I'm falling for her, and this is breaking my heart.

Any advice, much appreciated.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all. Or whatever that bullshit saying is.

Go for it.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How far away from each other will you be?
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    How far away from each other will you be?
    I'll be down in Bristol, whereas she lives up in Manchester.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I've met someone absolutely amazing, who I shall call "R" for the sakes of this.

my favourite part of the story is how you actually never refer to her as R.

in seriousness though - don't make any plans. just see what happens. and don't make any promises you can't keep.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

in seriousness though - don't make any plans. just see what happens. and don't make any promises you can't keep.

:yes:

I agree completely
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

Hehe i never noticed that. Made me chuckle.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    :p I knew there was something I was meant to edit out before posting the final thread.
  • Options
    I got together with my boyfriend 2 months before i moved away to Uni. He always knew it was happening, it was all decided before he came on the scene. I would ask her how she feels about starting a relationship, knowing that itll have to be long distance. They can work if both people put effort in to it.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all. Or whatever that bullshit saying is.

Go for it.
    agreed
  • Options
    You're as well going for it, and see what happens.

Try not to make a big issue out of this uni thing with her until it actually happens i.e after the summer.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    You're as well going for it, and see what happens.

Try not to make a big issue out of this uni thing with her until it actually happens i.e after the summer.
    :yes: Like I've said on your LJ, long distance relationships can work if you both put the effort in. If its not what you want though, walk away now to save any hurt that may be caused.
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    :yes: Like I've said on your LJ, long distance relationships can work if you both put the effort in. If its not what you want though, walk away now to save any hurt that may be caused.
    Thinking about it, I can see a few upsides to an LDR, I'm not sure what to think of it right now. I last spoke to her on the phone this morning, but didn't really mention this, mainly because it's hardly the first thing someone wants to talk about when hungover on a Sunday morning. I'll probably be seeing her after work tomorrow, and I'll see what she reckons then.
  • Options
    Hello again, everyone. Apologies for the lateness of this. Partly to do with the fact I've been working a lot of shifts over the last week, and partly because our telephone line was down over the weekend. Anyway, last Monday afternoon, I spoke to her. Taking everything into account, we've decided we're gonna go for it. I can't believe my luck! :D
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Hello again, everyone. Apologies for the lateness of this. Partly to do with the fact I've been working a lot of shifts over the last week, and partly because our telephone line was down over the weekend. Anyway, last Monday afternoon, I spoke to her. Taking everything into account, we've decided we're gonna go for it. I can't believe my luck! :D
    nice to hear that :) good luck with it! :thumb:
  • Options
    Yay - congratulations! Spend all your time with her now (although I'm sure I don't need to tell you that...) and good luck with the future, I'm sure it'll be worth it. :D
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:

yeah, i agree. do something if you love her alot, but if you dont, leave it.
  • Options
    yeah, i agree. do something if you love her alot, but if you dont, leave it.
    It's early days yet! Look up four posts or so, and you'll see where things are going. ;)
  • Options
    hope it works out alright. :yes: