Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Quitting smoking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I haven't smoked for 4 days and it's pissing me off. I am handling the cravings but an irritible and feel quite down, I'm also having sleep difficulties.

Is this normal? Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Are you just going cold turkey or do you have the patches or nicotine gum stuff?

http://www.givingupsmoking.co.uk/how_to_give_up/

http://www.prodigy.nhs.uk/smoking_cessation/patient_information
  • Options
    Congratulations

Yes you get irritible and sleeping problems will happen. It takes quit a while to get over it so get ready for a long haul.

I've managed to quit when I'm sober but drinking always get me, but after today, I've decided I'm quitting them for good. Nearly collapsed with lack of breath today after climbing a mountain hehe! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Are you just going cold turkey or do you have the patches or nicotine gum stuff?

http://www.givingupsmoking.co.uk/how_to_give_up/

http://www.prodigy.nhs.uk/smoking_cessation/patient_information

The inhaler, though I don't use it much.
  • Options
    Maybe if you used it as directed, you wouldn't get the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Maybe if you used it as directed, you wouldn't get the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal.

I do, you just use it when you feel the craving to smoke...

But it isn't helping my mood.
  • Options
    All these nicotine substitutes are fucking useless anyway, no one ever says they work.
  • Options
    Wish I never started, it's a bit daft really but it's a hard habit to get out of. I'm planning on quitting soon, well in fact I have been for ages but everything seems to make me want to smoke, I've smoked dope pretty heavily as well so there's all the damage from smoking resin in my younger teens etc doesn't help. Plus, I've got asthma and nearly died from it a few years ago, but it hasn't bothered me since. The nurse at the hospital told me that if I stopped smoking my asthma would go away for life, so I've got every reason to quit really. It's just I can't bring myself to do it yet.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    All these nicotine substitutes are fucking useless anyway, no one ever says they work.
    My Mum used the 'Inhalater' and that was about 7 years ago - she's not smoked a single cigarette since. They do work, but not for everyone. :thumb:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I know someone who smoked heavily for decades and gave up with nicotine sweet things and she had tried cold turkey several times before with no success.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I know someone who smoked heavily for decades and gave up with nicotine sweet things and she had tried cold turkey several times before with no success.

My dad experienced the same. He tried giving up smoking a few years ago, but it didn't work. He tried giving up again earlier this year (mainly because I gave him what turned out to be a chest infection) and he's doing great now.
  • Options
    So I haven't smoked for 4 days and it's pissing me off. I am handling the cravings but an irritible and feel quite down, I'm also having sleep difficulties.

Is this normal? Any ideas?

Go you! Days 2-5 are the worst, and you're nearly there! If you can go for a week(7 days), then you can go for a lifetime.

Don't give in, just keep telling yourself you'll have one tomorrow. And then tomorrow, tell yourself you'll have one the next day.

You'll crack it. All it takes is sheer bloody-mindedness. Stay vigilant and let yourself pig out on chocolate, trifle, beer and sex. It's important to keep other things that you enjoy close to hand if you're going cold turkey - don't give a moments thought to weight gain, or spots, or anything like that.

Think of all the money you'll save - Even if you only had 20 a week, you'd save £250 in a year. Which would go a long way to a last-minute holiday, or a car, or a mega party. Chances are you didn't only have 20 a week, so the savings will be even bigger :).

Stick with it. All it takes is the art of control :).
  • Options
    quitting is a mind game: your discipline vs the seduction of the cigarette. you've done well though getting past the 3 day mark, now you just need to take each day at a time and keep going. also find something to fidget with (to keep your fingers busy) ;)
  • Options
    I've heard chewing gum when you'd normally have a cig helps some people, just try to find something to replace it with for a while.
  • Options
    I gave up a while back for a few months and the only thing that helped me was that juicy fruit chewing gum. I must've bought 500 packets.

The patches worked really well for a few of my mates, but did nada for me. There's also a hypnosis book-tape thing by Allen someone (or someone Allen) that a shitload of people I know swear by, and managed to quit as a result of.

I'm really feeling the need to quit at the moment after smoking a fuckload of Embassy over the weekend. Though I have got a (debatably) sexy gravelly voice going on...

How you managing anyway, Moonrat? :)
  • Options
    i heard accupuncture could help....i can't remember where but i heard it somewhere!
  • Options
    I gave up once... for 3 days... :rolleyes:

Its hard... I can do it, but as turlough said... as soon as you get out and drinking it makes it even worse.
    I hadnt touched one for 3 days and after 2 pints in the pub I folded!