Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Starting a new job on Monday

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am starting a new job on Monday. Its a temp to perm job in a solicitors doing what I did when I lived back home in my old job. Any the only way it will be perm is if they like me and if I like them. I really want to make a good impression. Any suggestions? Also any suggestions on how to over come nerves?

Comments

• Options
    Dress smartly, make sure you're well presented (shower/shave etc).
    Just say to yourself that you are confident and that you are going to make a good impression then go and do it!
    Oh, and you're bound to have nerves, you'll soon get over them after the 1st 30 minutes!
  • Options
    It is stupid things that I am nervous about. Like I am scared I won't manage the work as it will be totally different to my old job.
  • Options
    nah dont worry, you managed to get the job ok so im sure you will be fine at it.
  • Options
    Hope so!
  • Options
    oh yeah, and good luck! :D
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    oh yeah, and good luck! :D

Thanks hun! :D
  • Options
    Good luck with the new job. I'm sure you'll be fine. They obviously recruited you for a reason!
  • Options
    Make sure you are punctual.

Try and remember names but rather that call someone by the wrong name explain to them that you can't remember what it is. I would rather someone came clean than called me Bob or George or something.

If you don't know then don't be afraid to ask questions. This shows willing to learn.

And most importantly. Smile and eye contact. This shows confidence in what your doing even in reality it's all turing to shit.

:D

Good luck!
  • Options
    Oooh, I'm starting a new job tomorrow too, feeling a bit nervous! OK, a LOT nervous.

Good luck, let us know how it goes for you!
  • Options
    Oooh, I'm starting a new job tomorrow too, feeling a bit nervous! OK, a LOT nervous.

Good luck, let us know how it goes for you!

Good luck with you too. What is your new job?
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    Good luck with you too. What is your new job?

Well I've been working for a pensions company for the past year or so, and this new job is in debt management and recovery. So it's going to be a big change!
  • Options
    good luck both of you, I started a new job last week and was nervous but after an hour I was all ok and settled. I think everyone gets a little nervous starting new jobs, meeting lots of new people and learning how a new company does things etc ... but I'm sure you'll do great :thumb:
  • Options
  • Options
    good luck :)

if you are nervous, and worried about stuff, i normally just say that to people. they always understand, and then i look less like a lunatic, cause everyone's thinking 'bless, she's just a bit nervous' rather that 'erk, beware of the crazy mental'.
  • Options
    show an interest in things, ask questions (not too many!), offer to do things, think of new ideas etc.
  • Options
    In short, appear curious and keen to learn, but not so keen that your bosses feel overwhelmed. And bear in mind it's only your first day. If you come back and hated it, don't be surprised - I doubt many people loved their new jobs on their first day. Good luck to you.
  • Options
    In a solicitor's dress smartly, be punctual, all the usual things on your first day.

Never forget to offer to make cups of tea when you're making one for yourself. Appear keen to learn, ask things, but not too many things. Just chill, but if you don't know, ask.

You'll be fine. How good you are at your job will decide if you get a permanent contract, along with financial reasons in the firm.