Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Credit Rating PC

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all

I have 1 ccj because I had trouble paying a catalogue. I really need to buy a new pc and need to pay monthly.

Does anyone know if places like pc world, currys, comet etc would give me credit??

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    They would but I would also look at personal loans and the like. You may even be able to get an overdraft for the amount. PCs arent all that expensive, surely you could save up for a few weeks?
  • Options
    I would love to save up for a pc, rather than pay monthly, but I work part time and it would take forever to save that amount.

I have looked at comets website and u have to be working a minimum amout of hours and I don't qualify.

I think I'll look into pc world and try to get credit, but I don't want to get a refusal because it would prob look bad on my credit record.
  • Options
    If you have CCJs then its unlikely, to be honest. They will leave a black mark against your name because, as much as anything, it shows that you don't want to pay, rather than were unable to pay.

All stores use one of three credit agencies, and you can write to them requesting the details of your credit rating if you are unsure.
  • Options
    B17_Fan wrote:
    Hi all

I have 1 ccj because I had trouble paying a catalogue. I really need to buy a new pc and need to pay monthly.

Does anyone know if places like pc world, currys, comet etc would give me credit??

Thanks

They will take into account other factors on top of the CCJ, but yes a CCJ on face value will count against you, especially if it is recent.

You can calc your credit score online (see what effect a CCJ has), and see what adjustments you can make to up the rating. http://www.moneyforums.co.uk/credit_score_calculator.php
  • Options
    Kermit is right you probably wont get credit anywhere with a CCJ on your file...
  • Options
    Kermit is right you probably wont get credit anywhere with a CCJ on your file...

Yeh, looks like some items produce automatic rejections, such as a CCJ or not being on the electoral roll.
  • Options
    CCJ is very serious to be on your credit file and it is understandable that you wont get credit, especially with a mainstream lender.

If you don't mind me being a bit intrusive, do you REALLY need a new PC, and if so can't you just save for a couple of months and get a cheap second hand one?
  • Options
    Takes 6 years for a CCJ to come off your file.