Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bittorrent service type

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey all, I'm trying to set up some filters on my netgear router so bittorrent wont work during the day, by blocking those ports per a schedule. however, it needs to know the service type, what does bittorrent use, NAT ?

Comments

• Options
    Utorrent has a scheduler that you can configure to turn it off at certain times, just a suggestion...
  • Options
    that's what I use :)

but this is not for me, it's to stop my bastard housemates breaking the internet during the day :lol:
  • Options
    Ahhhhh.

Dunno then mate, sorry I can't help you more!
  • Options
    I've got a Netgear Router - but not sure what ports Bittorrent uses but I'd insist your housemate uses peer guardian on his PC if you're paying for the connection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PeerGuardian_2

Although what router do you have? - Ad have you upgraded to the latest firmware - I have a DG834G and the newest firmware gives you Trend Micro Home Network Security - which might do what you want.
  • Options
    Just throttle all traffic to their IP address. If three of you share the bill, then have 33% each. Night-time can be a free-for-all :).

I'm guessing that you're able to set up IP throttling on your router...
  • Options
    I'm guessing that you're able to set up IP throttling on your router...

Really? I dont think I've seen a home router with IP throttling functionality...

And also, It'd be fairly easy to stop his computer being "connectable" to bittorrent, but afaik it's more difficult to block bittorrent altogether.

Easist way would be to block access to domains of popular bittorret trackers, so the trackers can't update.
  • Options
    Pass. I've worked with routers and have passed my CCNA, but I've never really done much with the home-based products. I assumed that most of them would have such simple functions...
  • Options
    unfortunately, I dont think most household routers have bandwidth throttling features, I'm pretty sure the one I'm using (Netgear WPN824) doesn't, but I'll have a read of their forums to have check :)
  • Options
    Bah, how naff. Given the simplicity of adding throttling capabilities, and the benefits most people would see, it seems stupid not to support it.

I think I should start building routers. Anyone up for a ClickRouter? ;)
  • Options
    that's actually a pretty good name for a tech product :) but you're right, it is a pain in the arse, I mean, an adaptive bandwidth filter that changes given the amount of people on the network would be great...
  • Options
    find out what ports he uses for bittorrent and just block them during the day