Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

odd debate: mmorpg's + addiction

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
basically mmorpgs' (massive-multiplayers-online role-playing-games) im on about here, i play world of warcraft myself, i'd admit im somewhat addicted to it and play like 3 hours a day which in the big scheme it works out, on my main character alone i have spent about 70 days online playing him in the past 18months, so i have spent effectively almost TWO MONTHS of my life in the past 18 montha playing a video game, and im not even hardcore in the sense of the game itself really

anyway, in the game i play the player vs player system is a function of time not skill, and rewards no lifers better, in fact to achieve to achieve the highest 'rank' you just have to be willing to play 12-16hours a day for 12 weeks MINUMUM to have a chance at it, as it works on a percentile system which uses your 'honour points' to works out a 'standing' compared to the other players on the server you play on

in my 'guild' at www.doomcraft.net for world of warcraft, we've had people quit because they see it as a 2nd job not a game, surely this isn't healthy, and the company who makes the game has nothing to say half the time

in the far east people have died from games like these from body failure due to lack of food, sleep or water, murders have been done between real life friends who have taken VIRTUAL items from eachother

what i'm wondering is, would those who created video games be proud or not at forcing this level of obsessiveness for the sake of profits.
just a quick bit of information, the video games industry is worth more than the film and music industry put together these day - when i was younger i used to want to go into it, but these days im not really that interested as companies who make fun silly non-serious addictive games are on the decrease whilst licensed sports and racing games, mmorpgs, pointless violence games (doom, quake etc i love and they are quite skillful and silly, but the recent GTA series and othe rip off have had only violence, not much skill and are quite dull in gameplay itsellf

simply, do you kow anyone who plays games like these and what do you think of their behaviour towards it, is it similar to gambling addictions?

Comments

• Options
    It's all a load of bollocks. Yeh I think it's a form of addiction, I like my computer games alrite but definately not addicted or nothing.
  • Options
    just a quick bit of information, the video games industry is worth more than the film and music industry put together these day
    Oh, I just need to clear this one up. Utter bollocks that the videogame industry would like you to believe. Quick comparison: Videogame Industry $31bn a year, US film industry $44bn a year, Overall film industry $200bn a year. No clue about the music industry.

Anyways onto the main topic. I think that these games can become addictive, like anything else. I mean look at us on here to all hours of the morning. :p I suppose there's worst things to be addicted to, like online gambling. I don't think that the designers should feel guilty about making the games at all, but I also don't think that your success in the game should be mainly down to how long you spend on it (obviously it has to be to some degree). In fact, I can't see why they would want to encourage people to spend longer on it. As far as I know, you pay a monthly subscription whether you go on it or not, so I don't get why they would want to encourage people to play when they've already got their money. But it's also up to the families and friend of the players to make sure that they don't become addicted.

Oh, and I only play computer games with other real people in the room. Call me old fashioned, but that's the way I like it.
  • Options
    It's definately stupid that they make a level grind thing like that (play 12 hours a day lol!?).. play guildwars, it's more about skill than whos level 5000 or whatever ;p).

Anyway, I guess they play off peoples addictive/competitive nature, but I guess they can';t be blamed as they can't actually force anyone to play...There are also the monthly fees so it's not like there are no deterrants to the game.

I don't think random game companies are going down the drain, I don't really know a lot about whats new etc but you still see a few strange games doing well lol ;p Also the money is still in skill games, e.g. counterstrike has tournaments for pretty decent money if you're any good.
  • Options
    Oh, and I only play computer games with other real people in the room. Call me old fashioned, but that's the way I like it.

4 guys, football/racing game and pack of beer = fun night in
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    Also the money is still in skill games, e.g. counterstrike has tournaments for pretty decent money if you're any good.
    People have been known to pay pretty hefty chunks of real cash for 'virtual items' on ebay.

ETA: Remember Lou on Neighbours.
  • Options
    I miss Star Wars Galaxies :crying:

SOE ruined it with the New Game Enhancements. I still keep logging into forums in the hope of a rollback. Is this me going cold turkey?
  • Options
    The most addictive game I've ever played is Championship Manager
  • Options

Absolutely!

It's like Cocaine or Heroin, you know it's doing you damage yet you still go back.
  • Options

Yep....football manager...one more game...one more game....i cant help it. i NEED it! UP THE MIGHTY HARTLEPOOL
  • Options
    digital drugs ...
  • Options
    basically... i play world of warcraft myself, i'd admit im somewhat addicted to it... do you know anyone who plays games like these and what do you think of their behaviour towards it?
    Yep, that sounds like my brother. He plays the same game too, and he enjoys it a lot. He confesses he finds it somewhat addictive, but I don't worry much about it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    He confesses he finds it somewhat addictive, but I don't worry much about it.
    i think they should legalize it.
  • Options
    My step-brother has an addictive personality and has been a drug addict in the past and he also got "addicted" to the type of game you describe (but it was somewhat less destructive than the drug addiction, it just wasted a lot of time). He didn't even want to go on holiday as he wouldn't have his computer there. He has stopped playing now though.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    It's all a load of bollocks. Yeh I think it's a form of addiction, I like my computer games alrite but definately not addicted or nothing.

i disagree. just becauase you aren't addicted doesn't mean other people aren't. i drink but not very often, i'm not addict, yet some people are. i occasionally put money on football, but i'm not a gambling addict.

people can be tv addicts, so gaming addiction is definately a addiction. i wouldn't consider myself a game addict either as i don't play that often.
  • Options
    O_o wrote:
    i disagree. just becauase you aren't addicted doesn't mean other people aren't.
    I totally agree with you.
  • Options
    O_o wrote:
    i disagree. just becauase you aren't addicted doesn't mean other people aren't

i could be wrong but i don't think that's what he meant........it is a load of bollocks though, i used to spend far more time playing computer games but that was when there was time to kill, if i put in the same hours nowadays i'd have no social life so somethings got to give......i think it's sad that people would rather be in their virtual world then out there making friends in the real one, you only have one shot at life i'd hate to look back at 50 and think "damn I must have clocked about 20 years gaming time on that WW3", or any other game for that matter.......don't get me wrong I don't mind having the odd Pro Evo or Burnout session when I'm catching up with friends like old times, but I just don't get the same satisfaction out of single player games like i used to.......
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The most addictive spreadsheet I've ever played is Championship Manager

Changed for acuracy. ;)

Meh. Yeah, sure, games may be addictive. But fuck, if you actually do get majourly addicted like some people, I think you need to step back and take a look at your life... why it has happened. I manage to fit games and rest of life together fairly well.

Unless I end up on a HUGE Battlefield mega marathon, then that just destroys time and I realise I've spent 2 days on it ;(
  • Options
    Yea, RPGs are really addictive these days. It's really sad, watching people around you changing according to their video games. I have some friends (o.k., class members :p) that allocate the majority of their time on computer games. One mate plays around 3 hours on World of Warcraft, and he admits he's addicted to it. He's actually willingly succumbing himself to the game. In this case, I think we should not blame the addicts, but blame the computer companies, as I think such games is destroying the youth. Really, people are spending entire days on computer games. I agree, gaming is a period of almost every person's life nowadays.

It's depressing watching people around you spending all of their time in front of the computer. I agree, you can sit an hour, perhaps 2 in rare cases, in front of the computer, but not anything near above that, IMHO.

MMORPGs are the worst. Having one character throughout the game, making him stronger all the time, is apparently the most addictive game - at least I think it is though. Lvling and those sort of things are critical and I admit I am crazy about such games - Diablo, Guild Wars etc. Games where you have stats like Warcraft III really destroy me. But I know that I control the computer game - the computer game does not control me. The question is, is the youth today experiencing that the other way around?
  • Options
    someone mentioned that monthly fees could be some sort of deterrant, well look at it this way, if you are paying so much a month, and you have had a bad month for points, maybe you want to work hard and spend lots of time making your money back
  • Options
    Starting my course at uni, one of the owners of CCP, the company responsible for EVE-Online, came and gave us a bit of a lecture on the business side, the finance and what the idea was based off. He pretty much told us that they made a game like that because people lasted the longest playing it. They need to make the games like that if they are going to keep the cash coming.

I've known a few people whose life consisted of their real job, playing games, sleeping as little as they can before needing to get back to work before they could play again. It's highly unhealthy and it's alarming that young people are spending their prime like that but then of course I am reminded that it is one of those things the individual is responsible for. I think most eventually realise what they're doing and quit.

I personally know I have the personlity to get addicted, so I'm staying well clear of games like those. I'm sticking to games I can play when it suits me. But then again, I'm not exactly the target group.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    MrG wrote:
    someone mentioned that monthly fees could be some sort of deterrant, well look at it this way, if you are paying so much a month, and you have had a bad month for points, maybe you want to work hard and spend lots of time making your money back

Not only that, it is an entirley STUPID argument.

Let's assume, as the evidence suggests, they are addictive. Then you CERTAINLY won't fucking stop paying. Does a smack addict think "Oh, I am spending too much on heroin. I had better stop, because I just lost my job so cannot afford it anymore." No.

TBH, I am glad I don't pay a monthly fee for playing an MMORPG online, as I can't afford it yet. But when I get a job, EVE looks SO tempting.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    I miss Star Wars Galaxies :crying:

yeh that was good, I got out a few months before they destroyed everything, as I was rich and bored... but it was good while it lasted!

as for WoW, I also love that game, (but can't play at the moment 'cos of my graphics card breaking) usually play atleast an hour a day I think.

thing is, I think anything that is satisfies ones urge to succeed is bound to be adictive, and video games make this possible with less effort than would usually be required to feel a similar sense of fulfillment. :chin:

oh yeh teh_gerbil, I played eve online for a bit, and it is amazing.. I forget why I stopped, but I decided it best to only play one mmorpg at a time :p