Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Terrorist Drills in US Schools

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I can't find a report yet, but it's been on the radio all day. Apparently some American schools are going to have terrorist drills, similar to fire drills, but to tell kids what to do if the school is raided presumably. Guess they need something else to keep the kids in line, now that they've got used to the metal detectors and armed guards (does that actually happen?) Just out of interest, how many children have been killed in America as a result of terrorist attacks on schools in the last 50 years?

Comments

• Options
    well after Dunblane, my school had drills incase someone dangerous come into our schools. we had to lock the door and hide behind our desks.

i guess for the schools in america, if it seems like they're trying their best to protect their children they are less likely to be sued in the unlikely event anything like that happens.
  • Options
    I would imagine they are worried about attacks on targets that would affect the surrounding area rather than direct attacks on schools.
  • Options
    Just out of interest, how many children have been killed in America as a result of terrorist attacks on schools in the last 50 years?

Just out of interest, how many terrorist attacks in any shape or form have there been on american soil since 9/11? (That's 5 years ago now btw, in case you forgot how to count)......That's right, a big fat 0........I guess those pesky al-qaeda are just biding their time :chin: ........in the meantime the american government is doing an equally good job of scaring the crap out of their citizens, terrorist drills in school sounds like just another method of conditioning at an early age to me......
  • Options
    sounds like just another method of conditioning at an early age to me......
    Well duh. :yes:
  • Options
    it helps the bush administartion to keep fear high, so they can show 'look what it would be like if we hadn't invade afghanistan and iraq? there be thousands of them'
    especially because the opinion polls in america are placing bush very low (58% see bush as unfavourable and only 37% favourable, the spare pecentage were unsure, American indecision! :lol: )
    i watch cnn every now and then and some of the state news channels (internet) and there all about how manyu people were shot today and the rise on gun crime and if you match the gun crime to its airtime its way out fo proportion
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Terrorist drills? What do they prefer, Black and Decker or Draper?
  • Options
    Don't joke about that. A Black and Decker could do serious damage to the side of a plane.
  • Options
    Don't joke about that. A Black and Decker could do serious damage to the side of a plane.

I often see black and deckers flying around at 30,000 feet when I am onboard planes.

And I doubt they'd let one fly if a man ran out onto the apron and started drilling it.

And as for getting one through customs, well, that is nigh on impossible. I couldn't even get my nail clippers through. That right pissed my off, I tell you. They were a good pair.
  • Options
    You guys are absolutly insane. If it's not a makita, it's pretty much not a drill.

I think Terrorist Drills should become more used. Might as well prepare. Especially schools that are near high risk targets. My school is in between Sikorsky, a company that makes Helecoptors for the armed forces and one of the top producers for nuclear submarines.

As for the metal detectors, armed guards and what not, that does happen in some schools. Armed guards are security guards, rarely carrying a gun, so they aren't exactly armed.
  • Options
    is it 'terrorist' drills or 'dangerous intruder' drills. If it's the latter, schools have been doing that ever since there was a rash of school shootings in suburban schools back in the 90's.
  • Options
    You guys are absolutly insane. If it's not a makita, it's pretty much not a drill.

Fuck off. Black and Decker mate. The ONLY drills. They are Kray approved.
    krays.jpg
    Plus, Black and Decker do actually make the best drills.
  • Options
    is it 'terrorist' drills or 'dangerous intruder' drills. If it's the latter, schools have been doing that ever since there was a rash of school shootings in suburban schools back in the 90's.
    Yes, that is the key issue isn't it.

Nothing wrong with having drills in place for fire, earthquake or even for an unspecified incident such as a gunman breaking into the school and threatening to shoot pupils.

If however someone has introduced a drill that tackles the specific "threat" of terrorists targetting schools, someone is certainly having a fucking laugh.

As we all know fellow pupils or local disgruntled workers present an infinitely graver danger to schoolchildren in the US and evil A-rab (or any other race) terrorists could possibly pose.
  • Options
    now that they've got used to the metal detectors and armed guards (does that actually happen?)

It pretty much happens in London mate, most sixth form colleges in London have security with stab proof vests on and there are a lot more stabbings than you would think.
  • Options
    More reactionary scare tactic B.S. from the good ole U S of A. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    there been a report that some italian guy got on board a flight to london with some bullets in his hand luggage! so who needs a black and decker!
    i can only guess he forgot the gun!
  • Options
    Am I the only one not to worry one bit about reports of someone boarding a plane with a few bullets or even a drill (if that has ever happened)?

It is extremely difficult to bring down a plane without the aid of a reasonably potent bomb. Even if one had a gun and emptied the magazine into the wall the plane would be very unlikely to go down. Explosive decompression and perhaps a couple of people being sucked out, at the most.
  • Options
    to quote radiohead

WE'RE NOT SCAREMONGERING, THIS IS REALLY HAPPENING

those poor stupid stupid american children...
  • Options
    Something very "Duck and Cover" about it all.

I think American kids need to be more worried about friendly fire from a rescue attempt myself.
  • Options
    Apparently some American schools are going to have terrorist drills

my fellow merikan children... look an a-rab! run!
  • Options
    Fear.

Fear leads to anger... etc
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Am I the only one not to worry one bit about reports of someone boarding a plane with a few bullets or even a drill (if that has ever happened)?

It is extremely difficult to bring down a plane without the aid of a reasonably potent bomb. Even if one had a gun and emptied the magazine into the wall the plane would be very unlikely to go down. Explosive decompression and perhaps a couple of people being sucked out, at the most.

Precisley.

Plus, more worrying, some guy from the US got on and flew to the UK, then realised... oops, he'd forgot to leave his handgun at home. Do'h! Us customs REALLY stepped up after 9/11!

Meh. If I die, I die. So what... if it happens in a plane crash or a car accident or a heart attack? Not alot I can do tbh!
  • Options
    I see this place hasnt gotten any less anti american since ive been gone :o
  • Options
    Balddog wrote:

:wave:

You'd have been disappointed if it had, surely?

Besides, I'll bet that there aren't that many new names on this part of the boards anyway.

Shame you missed klintock though.
  • Options
    Balddog wrote:
    It's nothing to do with anyone's opinions of America. It's about those in power using fear to maintain control. The same applies in this country with the government claiming that terrorists are a huge threat in order to push through their ID card idea.
  • Options
    Shame you missed klintock though.

:yes: Indeed, you should look up his posts. It is qaulity entertainment.

And we aren't just Anti-American. I like alot of Americans... it is just that - their Government are idiots, they seem to be quite inept at doing a wide variety of things (Customs, "Liberating" countries, NOT shooting civilians)... and there are SO MANY steryotypical yankee-doodles around.
  • Options
    You can love America and still hate its government. "Love your kingdom, not your king" comes to mind.
  • Options
    You can love America and still hate its government. "Love your kingdom, not your king" comes to mind.
    :thumb:

And please guys, vote Democrat this time.

I dread to think who they'll replace bush with... not Cheny... anyone but Cheny.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

I dread to think who they'll replace bush with... not Cheny... anyone but Cheny.
    Fuck the Dems, they follow nearly the same policies of exploitation and murder as the Republicans. Vote Green! :thumb:

sorry, bit drunk at the moment.
  • Options
    america (y), the government (n) ;p

Having said that I still prefer europe as a place to live, though people are generally way more friendly over in the US (maybe its only to tourists :D).
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

I'll pack the few things I have, take my cash and fly anywhere but here if that happens. Hell I'll go to canada if I have to :p

My dad promised we'd leave country if Bush got elected twice :( I'm still a little hostile over that :p