Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tonight's football

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
What did everyone think?

Well I think that rules Owen Hargreaves out of the holding role. Now all we need is a player with the discipline of Carragher, but who can pass the ball as well. Hmmm, who could we possibly play there Sven? :banghead:

I think Gerrard can do a brilliant job in that role, and against better opposition, the defence shouldn't be as tightly packed, allowing him to make some devestating runs into the box. I really do think he has to be the key man for us in this World Cup, and run games like he does for Liverpool.

Joe Cole will rise to legendary status in Germany I think.

Frank Lampard had a solid game, but I hoped he would have taken charge a bit more after Gerrard went off.

I'd expect Ashley Cole to overlap a bit more against opposition like this, but otherwise solid.

Everyone else did a decent job, except that Owen was lacking a bit of sharpness. This is the thing that gets me though. We have Lampard, Gerrard, Joe Cole, Michael Carrick and David Beckham. The vision and passing ability of those combined should be good enough for us to dominate possession against everyone but Brazil, but for some reason, even against Hungary, we were giving them fair chunks of possession.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    It was alright.

Don't think Sven should use that formation at all in the world cup, think he was just trying it out for size.
  • Options
    peter crouch doing the robot = win
    BBC News wrote:
    But the final goal came from Crouch, whose neat turn and shot from the edge of the box was followed by an 80s robotics-style celebration.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    peter crouch doing the robot = win

That was probably the best part of the night .. meaning the game was pretty shite.
  • Options
    I nearly fell asleep during the first half!

The game did pick up during the second though, and after we went 2-0 up, they did start to pick up a bit. All in all we deserved the win.
  • Options
    Wasn't the best performance but it looked ok for the first game in the run up to the tournament. It all came to life a bit in the second half once we'd got going. We should really have gone in at half-time 2-0 up though.

If you look back at another thread about Rooneys injury I picked the exact same team apart from I would personally have carrick in the holding role even though I do like carragher as a player and he did a solid job in there.

Think without Rooney this is the team we will start with. Sven wasn't "experimenting", he was playing his strongest available line-up. I would agree that was the case if Carrick was there instead of Carrick.

Think Crouch will be great to come on throughout the tournament but if we end up with him as our main striker (Owen n Rooney injured) then I'll probably be a bit worried.
  • Options
    Crouch was the man!! really like crouch

Glad to see beckham back to his best

What has Carrick done to Sven? He is our best player to play the holding role and yet gets ignored everytime.
  • Options
    14918114583.gif

Fantastic robot celebration!
  • Options
    Apparently Crouch was doing that same dance at Beckham's world cup party on the dancefloor and it was on the tv show at the weekend.

Regarding the match, Carrick for Carragher, that's all. Beckham's justified his place now as well.
  • Options
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv1EbxiRWxk&search=Crouch%20Hot%20Stepper

"oooh Crouchy Crouchy ...used to be skate but he's alright now"
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    somebody tried dancing like a robot from 1984, to the arctic monkeys like that at work

dj just blatently asked them "who you think you are, peter crouch?"
  • Options
    that could be a legendary celebration in the world cup I christen it "the crouchbot"
    seriously we now have a few decent options to come off the bench, particularly in lennon crouch and possibly maybe walcott, or even rooney in the latter stages of the tournament. I would also play Carrick in the holding role, he has been possibly one of the best players in that position in the prem this year.