Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

menstrual cup

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
\

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi scarletleeds,

I seem to remeber there's been quite a few threads on these and this one seems to have some particularly useful stuff in it: http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=95603

Hope it helps :)
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I've had very positive experiences with my mooncup. On the whole, I found it very liberating to move away from products which were trying to 'sanitise' the healthy shedding of my uterine lining. I don't need to be plugged with cotton, douched, fragranced etc, just needed a reliable, comfortable product, and my cup did all those things, plus helping out the environment.
    The main thing I was worrying about is, you can't exactly wash it in the sink in a public toilet

Well, you can. I've never needed to, I shower twice a day so just used to change it in the shower. If you read the book Cunt, the author said that a woman she knew used sponges and would warn people in the toilets she was coming out of the cubicle with her sponge! Most people were positive and curious about it. Some friends of mine take a bottle of water in the cubicle to rinse theirs.
    Also, is it easy enough to insert and remove?

As I said, I would take mine out in the shower, and it was very easy to do. Takes a couple of times to master the suction and using your muscles to push it down when you want to take it out, but I'd always recommend giving it a try.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I love mine to pieces! I would never go back to tampons.

Unless you're period's stupidly heavy (like mine!) you should only have to empty and rinse it twice a day, which you can do at home.

If you do need to empty it in a public toilet, you can wipe it clean with a bit of tissue. It doesn't do a brilliant job, but it can hodl you over til you get home. That's what the mooncup website said. Either that, or like go_away said, take a bottle of water in with you to rinse it.
  • Options
    i only have good things to say about them, pretty much what go_away said. they are even advertising them on the telly now. mine took awhile to get used to, but it's worth perservering.

edited to add that the one that advertises on the telly is www.femin.co.uk but that is coming up priced as nearly £40and you can get them loads cheaper than that
  • Options
    they are even advertising them on the telly now

Really? Awesome! About time too, was getting rather peeved with the patronising ads telling me how much I should be looking forward to pouring blue water over pads...
  • Options
    I would never ever go back to tampons or pads.

I found it painful at first to remove but now its no fuss at all. My periods are sometimes heavy which means I have had to empty it in public toilets but it was totally fine and very easy although it once made a loud popping noise which was slightly embarrassing. lol.

I think schools should discuss menstrual cups when they give the tampon talk. I wish I had known about them when I was younger.
  • Options
    I think schools should discuss menstrual cups when they give the tampon talk. I wish I had known about them when I was younger.

Me too. Although I doubt I would have used them until I was in my late teens when I lost my virginity, I would have found them intimidating. But it would have been nice to know that alternatives were out there, and that's it's not dirty, or icky to touch your own blood, and that it's one of the cleanest fluids your body can produce. Just pisses me off a bit, "Right girls, you'll get a 'monthly visitor' here's a tampon!"
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I think it's reversing the idea that somehow menstrural blood is something that should not be looked at or touched. At first, my female friends sounded horrified about it too, but after much talking, they were quite interested, and now a couple of them have cups of their own. Never underestimate the power of words, especially when it comes to positivity about one's periods - makes a refreshing change to the standard messages of our 'unsanitary' bodies and all the fluids it produces.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    oops sorry helen, should have done a search. thanks :)

It's cool - it's good to bring the topic back up again - just thought I'd direct you to previous convos too.
  • Options
    I'm still amazed at how many girls are squeamish about it. The reason I started this thread was because I'd been thinking about getting one for a while, then last night was in the pub with three of my female friends and asked them all if they'd ever used one, and they were all varying degrees of horrified by the thought. I couldn't manage to get out of them exactly why, just something to do with it being horrid to rinse and reuse it. I suppose many of us have internalised the idea that our menstrual fluid is somehow dirty or unhygienic.

Yep my friends are exactly the same, I am the only one who has a mooncup. I find the thought of wearing a pad and having some plastic chemical impregnated piece of material soaked with my blood pressed against me for hours so much worse.

I think I would have used them when I was younger, I started my periods quite early (11) by 14 I couldn't stand pads and had to endure 7/8 years of tampons before I found the saviour of the mooncup.

I think they should make fashion mooncups, all nice pretty colours and patterns. I would display them on my fireplace. lol. That would really freak my mates out!
  • Options
    i still cant use mine *cries* :(

also how can you steralise it without using a pan of boiling water. my housemates wouldn't want me to use their cooking pans!!
  • Options
    If you can't use a pan to sterilise with boling water, maybe you can buy some sterilising solution and sterilise it in plastic bowls kept specifically for your mooncup. The mooncup website says you can boil, steam or solution menstrual cups. The ivillage websites describes the different sterilising methods.
  • Options
    I love mine. Rarely had to empty it in a public toilet, but when I have, ive just wiped it out with toilet paper and put it back in again :yes:
    They can go so much longer than tampons before needing changed, and without the risk of TSS.

Ive never sterilised it though. Dont see the point. just wash it thoroughly at the end of each cycle
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    i still cant use mine *cries* :(

also how can you steralise it without using a pan of boiling water. my housemates wouldn't want me to use their cooking pans!!
    Why not?! I do (well, I use my own) - it's a sterilising process after all...
  • Options
    I think the Mooncup sounds like a good idea, but how do you go for a wee, do you have to take it out each time?
  • Options
    ...although it once made a loud popping noise which was slightly embarrassing. lol.

That happened to me once, too :blush:

I found it a bit painful... well, maybe uncomfortable is the right word... to insert and remove at first but now it's second nature. The pros faaar outweigh the cons, so go for it :thumb:

eta: no, you don't have to take it out when you go to the toilet for "other reasons" heh ... just the same as having a tampon in, really.
  • Options
    wouldnt have thought so, the bit you wee out of is different: rude diagram.

although not being an expert on the subject I could be completely wrong :p
  • Options
    i just wash mine and use a bit of milton on it. Just out of interest how much did you other girlies pay? mine was about £12.does anyone know why the advertised ones are so much more expensive than the mooncup or diva cup?
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    Why not?! I do (well, I use my own) - it's a sterilising process after all...

i don't know. we all share cooking pans and they get weird about me boiling it
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    £18 from the website, i think you can send it back if you can't work it
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    wouldnt have thought so, the bit you wee out of is different: rude diagram.

although not being an expert on the subject I could be completely wrong :p

Aha! I understand now, thank you! Just kind of makes me wonder how you know it's in the right place?
  • Options
    mine was about £25 if not more but ive had mine about 4 years, and they came down in price a lot recently, once more people started buying them.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    how do you tell when it needs to be emptied?
  • Options
    dunno, I just judge it by how heavy my flow seems to be that day. I just tend to empty it morning, afternoon, and bedtime, but if it seemed heavy or if it was first couple of days of period, then i might do one extra, and if it was last day or two, id probably only empty it morning and night. Its rarely full anyway. In actual fact youd probably be surprised that you actually bleed less than you might think. Tampons actually suck more moisture than just your menstrual blood so sometimes it might seem like you lose more with them.
    If youre worried about it leaking, you could always use a panty liner too till you get used to it, although that obviously negates some environmental benefits.