Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

tattoo question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yep I'm off to get ink done next week, I'm having my daughter's initials put on to my forearm but the lettering will look like those 'tribal' tats most guys have this week but will still clearly be her initials.

Anyway, I know it's going to hurt but can anyone tell me what the pain actually feels like? Someone told me it's like having a cigarette stubbed out on your skin.

Comments

• Options
    I got one done on Thursday on my wrist.

I won't lie, it DOES hurt. You are injecting ink into your skin after all!

But pain is different to everyone. And cigarettes stubbing out on you is different to this, for me it felt like someone carving on me haha.

When it was especially sore, was when it bled. I am SOSO pleased I got it done, and everyone I've shown it to have been impressed with it.

It was especially sore for me as I have tickly wrists, and apparently wherever you are most ticklish is where it'll hurt due to more nerve endings.

The way I saw it was that it was 20 minutes of pain, and that's me with it for the rest of my puff. Just get it done! :)
  • Options
    Didn't hurt at all for me.

It felt like when someone gently runs nails down your back.

Mine's on my shoulder.

Have a BIG meal before you go - something fatty, and greasy! It'll help the pain ;)
  • Options
    I had mine done on the top of my bum, which was didn't hurt a lot. It's just an annoying pain, if you know what I mean. REALLY irritating!
    I thought it would be the least painful place to have it, but apparently arms and legs are easiest as they get the most everyday knocks and scrapes, they can handle the pain better.
  • Options
    I had mine done on the top of my bum, which was didn't hurt a lot. It's just an annoying pain, if you know what I mean. REALLY irritating!
    I thought it would be the least painful place to have it, but apparently arms and legs are easiest as they get the most everyday knocks and scrapes, they can handle the pain better.

Do we get pictures of the bum?
  • Options
    Depends what your pain tolerance is, but pain can be transform in pleasure, tis all in the head... Pain is just an information given from your nerves to your brain, after it is up to your brain to deal with it the way it want or can...
  • Options
    doesnt hurt that much. dont be a woofter!
  • Options
    I've read lots of experiences that say it's like being scratched by a cat, or having sandpaper rubbed on their skin. But nothing that was majorly painful.
  • Options
    It's a needle punching ink into your skin at a rate of knots. What do you think it's going to feel like :rolleyes: :banghead:
  • Options
    it definitely depends where it is though. back of my neck, I barely felt it, but my lower tummy/hip was scratchy and incredibly ticklish - I was glad when it was finished.
  • Options
    Do we get pictures of the bum?

If you want...! It's a bit of a shit photo, I just took it now.

How hard is it to take a picture of your own arse?!!
  • Options
    doesnt hurt that much. dont be a woofter!

Mwa ha ha.

It's not anywhere near as bad as some scaremongers make out... I thought it was a nice [and very unpainful] kind of pain :naughty:
  • Options
    KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    If it hurt that much, people (or idiots like me) wouldn't get them done time and time again. Mind you, childbirth is said to be fairly painful and I see a lot of kids about.

Also depends on your tattooist - some can be pretty heavy-handed, which can add to the ouch factor. Can depend on the equipment they use, too...

For the amount you're getting done I'm sure you'll find the pain quite forgettable. It might feel a bit like bad sunburn afterwards.
  • Options
    I found the pain was similar to if you take a lit match, blow it out and hold it onto your skin, a kinda burn/scratch.... I'm the biggest wuss out and managed two, plus several private piercings.....so it'll be ok!
  • Options
    I have 5 tattoos, all on my chest. It's more of a tickling sensation for me. The noise is what I concentrated on - it feels just like shaving; you know its happening but it doesn't really hurt. I have one just by my armpit - that tickled a little but made my leg twitch. One is right on the sternum - mainly all bone - that was uncomfortable.

It's really hard to describe what you will feel as like people have said, everyone is different. Someone told me it was like a cigarette dragged over you, I didn't think so at all.

It's more the itchy feeling as someone mentioned above.
  • Options
    OK guys I just went and had it done - and yes it DID hurt but stopped short of being unbearable.

The only thing is I've forgotten what the guy said about looking after it for the first few hours! He said I can take the dressing off after about an hour or so but can I start (lightly) applying Savlon cream then?
  • Options
    KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    Great, show us the pics soon ;)

Take the dressing off, give the tattoo a rinse in water and put a thin bit of antiseptic cream on. Keep it well moisturised while it's healing - sun cream works well. I don't actually use an antiseptic cream myself, but some stuff called Tattoo Goo (it smells great) or Egyptian Magic.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I used preparation H and thought it was fab...
  • Options
    Cheers guys, have been applying Savlon 3 or 4 times a day.

This was taken about 2 hours after it was done....

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.david4/DSC00010.JPG