Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Microsoft

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Yeah, I must come across as being anti-Microsoft. But I don't care :).

Take a look at this. In brief...
If users get infected by the virus, attackers could open up a backdoor on the PC and take over the machine to use it for their own ends.

A fix is due for release in mid-June but Microsoft said it would bring it forward if the action was "warranted".
To help people protect themselves, Microsoft urged users not to open or save Word files they receive from unknown sources or even those that are from trusted sources but are unexpected.

Okay, so there is a virus in the wild. Big deal... but...
Microsoft is planning to release a fix for the flaw on its next monthly patch date which falls on 13 June. But it said on its security advisory blog that the patch may be released sooner "if needed".

Virus in the wild, security patch written but not released because it is outside of the monthly cycle.

Does anyone else think this is insane?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Yeah.

At least with biological viruses you could say it's because they want to release the medicine when they'll be able to sell it for more money. Any company who does that needs to be burned to the ground with every decision-maker inside, but at least there's a reason they might do that...
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ofcourse its insane. Such a serious flaw in such a widely used piece of software is mind boggling.

Microsoft have too many fingers in too many pies to produce good software anymore. In the future, we'll probably have more open standards, and many people producing software that opens workds with those standards. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but you never know what may happen in a few years.